saladin

Screeching noise

Guys... I need help. My Alto has been making screeching noises (which are very irritating) in the 1st and the rev gears. Not when starting, but you know... when I have to stop for a moment and then continue, or reversing while parking and in other places. I'll tell you, she recently had a service done and a new conveyor belt on her. The drivers near my place say that its because of the new belt, and that its dry. They advised me to drive her regularly... but, couldn't there be a speedy ilaaj? Please help.

Guys... I need help. My Alto has been making screeching noises (which are very irritating) in the 1st and the rev gears. Not when starting' date=' but you know... when I have to stop for a moment and then continue, or reversing while parking and in other places. I'll tell you, she recently had a service done and a new conveyor belt on her. The drivers near my place say that its because of the new belt, and that its dry. They advised me to drive her regularly... but, couldn't there be a speedy ilaaj? Please help.[/quote']

Hey i had simliar probs in the rainy season with my 1 yr old 800  then i gave it to the maruti dealer here . i dont know what they did but the car was free from noice why dont you ask the maruti dealer in your city and tell him about the noice issue they will surely fix the prob and incase your car is some where a year old or something they may do it for free too ( if no new spares are required)

CHeerssmiley20.gif

Guys... I need help. My Alto has been making screeching noises (which are very irritating) in the 1st and the rev gears. Not when starting' date=' but you know... when I have to stop for a moment and then continue, or reversing while parking and in other places. I'll tell you, she recently had a service done and a new conveyor belt on her. The drivers near my place say that its because of the new belt, and that its dry. They advised me to drive her regularly... but, couldn't there be a speedy ilaaj? Please help.[/quote']

Hey i had simliar probs in the rainy season with my 1 yr old 800  then i gave it to the maruti dealer here . i dont know what they did but the car was free from noice why dont you ask the maruti dealer in your city and tell him about the noice issue they will surely fix the prob and incase your car is some where a year old or something they may do it for free too ( if no new spares are required)

CHeerssmiley20.gif

Dude, thnx for the help... but my car's about three years old... and the noise started just after she's returned from servicing at a dealer. So...?

The best thing to do is take the car to the same dealer and pint it out to him telling the Noice started just after you took the car from them after the service and they should make it proper and ofcourse i do belive its thier duty to make it proper without any cost if there is no spare part required

Yes as  FRG says- The belt needs to be tightened by loosening the alternator screw and then tensioning up the belt and again tightening the screw. The battery charging also gets slightly affected in case the belt is lose.

i had a similar complaint on my baleno, after i replaced the water pump belt.

just tighten it. it will solve the problem.

this happens because, the new belt gets loose by a small length after installing. also chech wheather, the pulleys are aligned right, and properly tightaened.

i had a similar complaint on my baleno' date=' after i replaced the water pump belt.

just tighten it. it will solve the problem.

this happens because, the new belt gets loose by a small length after installing. also chech wheather, the pulleys are aligned right, and properly tightaened.[/quote']

Can I do this tightening job myself. You see... I'm still an amateur in this stuff.

no. you wont be able to.

it has to be elevated and the process will take about 10 min.

just go to any maruthi workshop, and tell them the complaint. ask them to try tighten the belt. it is better that, you go to the same workshop, where you got your belt replacement. they wont charge any extra money..(hope so..)

saladin,

get it done as soon as possible. the loose belt will wear out very fast. then you will have to get it replaced again.

my belt lasted for 80000km (congrads maruti,good reliability for the prize.. as it costed me RS:148 only.)

Yes it is a belt problem maruti are known for this mistakes as they are always in a hurry the dealer will fix without any charge if not contact head office maruti even if it is a small thing.

Yeah, but people around me were telling me that the problem is because the car doesn't move about often. Could this be a reason? I feel that I'd rather take her back to the dealer, but if this matters, then I guess I should give this a look as well.

Guys, know what? Today my driver took the car to M/s Rohan Motors (where it was earlier serviced and the alternator belt was replaced), where they said that everything was fine with the car. They also said that the sound was because the new belt was 'tight' and that it required some moving to cut out the sound. Any comments?

The problem of belt squeal in universal with no definite cures. The most common cause is a loose belt.

A new belt will stretch a bit and should ideally be checked and tightened after about 500-800km Then the cords hold and the belt should not require any tensioning. Towards the end of the life of the belt the cords start failing and the belt goes loose again. This is the time to change the belt rather than repeatedly try and tension it, which will not do much good in any cae.