Chevy Staff

Toyota & Honda recalls

Toyota recalls 3.8 million vehicles Potentially dangerous floor mats cited for company's largest U.S. recall AP file Top image, 2005 Toyota Prius. Bottom image, 2007 Toyota Camry. Both car models are on the recall list. Toyota issues largest U.S. recall in its history Sept. 29: Toyota is recalling 3.8 million vehicles because of a floor mat problem that could cause the accelerator to stick. NBC's Brian Williams reports. WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States, the company

You may have heard about how Toyota is recalling 3.8 million of its cars because they have the tendency to accelerate by themselves. Now the LA Times is soliciting Toyota horror stories which may make you never drive again.

Here are a few of the most terrifying responses to the terrifying question asked by the LA Times: "Have you experienced sudden acceleration in a Toyota?":

3/30/2006 My Solara completely lost control while trying to brake.I did 2 complete 360s, hit a concrete wall and landed in a mud ditch.$10,000 dollars worth of damage and 3 weeks later the only thing Toyota told me that it was driver error. This car had a mind of it's own. -Janet Cobb

I work for a law firm and we have a case where 4 young adults were in Lexus and could not stop the care after it accelerated on the freeway, they ended up hitting the concrete bridge and the car burned up with all 4 people in it. All killed. -Patricia

i own a 2009 Toyota Venza and i just ran through a restuarant no one was hurt but it could have been worst my car just took off Toyota checked my car out and said thay could not find anything i am scared to drive it now. -JM

Source http://gawker.com

And now from Los Angeles Times

I experienced a sudden surge with my 2003 Camry that lasted a very brief time but shook me to the core.

Rachel Stein @ 7:51 AM PST, Nov 14, 2009

I own a 2007 lexus. It is sitting in my garage because I am afraid to drive it because of a sudden acceleration. Luckly it was in park.

Ruth Adams @ 5:55 AM PST, Nov 14, 2009

I rearended a car in front of me that was turning. I was slowing down the closer I got to it. All of a sudden speed cause me to smash my front in and caused $2800. in damage. I drive a 2009 Camry XLE

DJ @ 10:30 AM PST, Nov 13, 2009

Yes, in 2006 my 2001 Toyota Sienna accelerated out of control when I was hit by another car and had to slam on the brakes. I was told this was impossible by Toyota . I never felt safe in the van again and have since sold it. Now I am concerned my new Toyota could have the same problem.

Calmom @ 7:50 PM PST, Nov 12, 2009

I had this happen when I was hit at a stop sign in my 2001 Sienna a couple of years ago. Toyota Palo Alto blew me off when I insisted this had happened. It took moving into neutral to stop the car. I could have died. I was lucky my kids weren't in the car.

momcalif @ 5:21 PM PST, Nov 11, 2009

I have a Toyota Camry that put my familyas life in danger. The anti lock brakes hit something in the road and THE CAR DOES NOT STOP. This has happed on several occasions. It is so dangerous.What can I do?

Matarsha @ 7:59 AM PST, Nov 11, 2009

I own a 2004 Toyota Camry, and last year (2008). I stoped to get gas. After I refuel, the car just sped out of control me and my Wife made attempts to stop the car, but smashed in the gas station store causing damages to the car and the building. I do not have all wether floor mats. Thanks

RAMIRO HERNANDEZ @ 7:33 AM PST, Nov 11, 2009

I have new Toyota AYGO. I am experiancing intermittent acceleration problems. The trottle stays when the foot is off the pedal, this can happen at any time. Returned to Toyota on three occassions, but when thay test drive thay can find no fault. Thay say that thay are unaware of any problems

Eric Harmer @ 6:47 AM PST, Nov 11, 2009

No. I have a very first Pruis and never experienced sudden acceleration. But it seems there should be some kind of problem with automobile but not floormat, as the sudden acceleration happens too unnaturally many cases.

Tak @ 11:42 PM PST, Nov 9, 2009

My parents experienced sudden acceleration in their Toyota Camry a few years ago. The had pulled into a parking spot and the car lunged into a wall and was totaled.

Sherry Williams @ 6:22 PM PST, Nov 9, 2009

Very shocking indeed to read these blogs in the Los Angeles Times. These are some of the many here.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-recall-gb,0,1286715.graffitiboard?slice=2&limit=10

A big eyeopener! For the Toyota's in India too, I have always maintained that they lack braking prowess. To start with their most popular model - Innova, it has a serious braking problem in the models that come sans ABS. I have seen ample no. of Innovas with front end shunts just because the vehicle skid on hitting brakes. Fault lies with Toyota for not offering ABS in all models.

Corolla also has a braking problem(without ABS), Im not sure about with ABS models. The wheels jam early on braking & big skids are common.

Everyone is aware of the Fortuners lack of braking might. Toyota needs to focus on this extremely important aspect & act fast. Enough of profits making & cost cutting at the cost of customers safety, we are not ready to be taken for a ride anymore

Personally I haven't heard of any cases of sudden acceleration but many rue the pathetic braking in Toyota cars.

PS: Why is this news surfacing now, does GM have a hand in this?
BornFree2009-11-17 16:50:24

Looks like Toyota has fitted NOS cannister's free of charge and kept the control's with themselves. Don't believe all that come's from the "Land of Hype and Hoopla": USofA. There have been recalls in a few Toyota car's due to faulty gas pedals that got stuck in the floor mat.

REPORT: Toyota may offer to fix 4 million accelerator pedals

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on Nov 15th, 2009 at 3:02PM

image002_opt_opt.jpg

While Toyota maintains its position that recent accelerator issues have only to do with floor mats, the company has reportedly agreed to "make changes to gas pedals in certain U.S. models under an agreement with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration." That means that 3.8 million Toyota products

Sadly toyota had built a very good reputation which has fallen drasticlly.

Toyotas are functionally very reliable (auto journalists call it bullet proof reliability) but for the safety aspects. Also its a mystery as to why these few year old  defects in Toyotas are surfacing at this moment after GM and Chrysler had sunk, but are now trying to again resurface from within the deep waters!

anjan_c20072009-11-18 14:26:43

I dont think the reputation fall will be huge with only 1 mistake. I dont think there has been a brand that has not had to recall their cars some time or the other.

What Toyota needs to do is to rectify this defect, and people will soon forget this incident, and still buy Toyota.

If it is troublesome with the the more expensive models, then what will be the case in cheaper models like corolla? Is this problem found only the U.S made Toyotas or all over the world? Anyway I have not yet heard of such an incident in Australia. 

I now pray that  O God dont let my Toyota fly faster than my guardian angels can.

I think the problem is related to the Drive by wire mechanism that sends some faulty information to the engine to cause uncontrolled acceleration. The floor mats may not be the culprits in all the cases.

I drive an Innova (done 68000 kms) without ABS but have never experienced lack of braking power.

Recently I test drove a friend's Fortuner with ABS and as others have mentioned, I really did feel the brakes was very poor. Later I was told that the company had done some adjustments to rectify the problem but could not do much.

Is Toyota really trying to solve this problem in Fortuner?

@rangc: ABS has nothing to do with braking under normal conditions. It comes into play when the wheels start skidding or locking. The Bums Stop as we call it is when the driver just jams on the brakes and stops the wheels rotating. here you are into sliding friction which is invariably less than rolling friction, i.e. longer stopping distance. ABS prevents the wheel(s) from locking. As a result you also retain a large degree of steering control.

The Toyota "unintended acceleration" issue has been a hot-button topic for nearly two months, with the Japanese automaker working closely with the National Highway Traffic Safety Association to come up with a permanent solution to the growing problem. Toyota recently published a statement to address the issue, stating it would "take a closer look at the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat."

Inside Line and Kyodo News are reporting that Toyota may be close to announcing that they will shorten the gas pedal of the four million vehicles affected by the recall.

The alleged fix would be performed by Toyota dealership employees at no charge to the customer. The report doesn't mention whether the floor mats would be secured in addition to the pedal shortening, but we're assuming Toyota and Lexus dealers will kill two birds with one stone. Swapping out four million accelerator pedals will probably be a pricey endeavor, but Toyota claims it has saved up $5.6 billion over the years in its recall kitty for just such a rainy day.

[source: Inside Line]

Imagine shortening 4 million gas pedals????!!!!

It is really shocking to know what a `tightly fit' acceleration foot lever can do. 

Similarly, the `tightly fit' deisgn of the floor mats also needs to be looked into.

( the old Premier Padmini, we used to have about a decade back, had the foot levers hanging from the top.  Now, will Toyota go the old Premier Padmini way ? )

The premier president & padmini had the clutch and brake pedals coming into the cabin thro the holes in the floor but the throttle pedal was fixed to the floor at the bottom end.

In another blow to the company's long-standing reputation for quality, Toyota said that they would announce another recall today, spanning some 2.3 million cars for problems with sticking accelerator pedals.

The January 2010 recall includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequioia. Toyota noted that the recall does not include the Prius or any of the Lexus or Scion brands, which use a pedal system from a different manufacturer.

The company was quick to note that this is actually a separate recall from the late 2009 recall involving 4.3 million vehicles for incorrect floor mats. This issue is related to the pedal system itself, which can become worn down and can become "sticky over time," according to company spokesman Brian Lyons.

The company's press release provided an explanation of what a driver might experience:

The condition is rare, but can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position.

Toyota noted that the remedy and timing of the fix isn't apparent yet. Today's announcement is a notice that they will bring a recall, not the actual recall filing itself.

Although Toyota hasn't indicated how many incidents led to this particular recall, they did indicate that reports of stuck gas pedals have surfaced in vehicles with no floor mats.

In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats, said TMS Group Vice President Irv Miller.

Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position. Consistent with our commitment to the safety of our cars and our customers, we have initiated this voluntary recall action.

Following the tragedy that claimed the lives of a family of four last August, Toyota has been more closely investigating throttle issues on all of their vehicles. The terrible tragedy of the Saylor family occurred when the gas pedal of the family's loaner Lexus ES350 became entrapped on the floor mat. We later learned that the accident was entirely avoidable, as another customer reported a similar issue to the dealership earlier that week. Sadly, the message was never relayed and nothing was done to address it.

While the dealership was more to blame in that situation, Toyota began an intense investigation. Besides issuing a voluntary recall on affected vehicles, Toyota also offered some advice that can be used here as well, if you happen to find yourself in a situation where your gas pedal becomes stuck while depressed.

If the accelerator pedal sticks in a partially open throttle position or returns slowly to idle position, the vehicle can be controlled with firm and steady application of the brakes. Don't pump the brakes because it could deplete the vacuum assist. That would make it even harder to depress the brake pedal. The brakes will stop the vehicle no matter the throttle position. When under control, the vehicle should be driven to the nearest safe location and the engine should be turned off. Contact a Toyota dealer as soon as possible for assistance.

The recall is extended to China as well. However, if what I saw on CNN this morning is correct it is most probably a problem of the pedal jamming in the carpet. So the problem is most probably restricted to LHD vehicles only and we should be Ok.

Toyota India said its operations will not be impacted by the company's plan to suspend sales of eight models in the US over faulty accelerator pedals. A section of industry analysts though felt that there could some "negative sentiment" in the short term

Toyota who is the world's biggest automaker said it will suspend US sales of eight models