arreddyy

10000 kms report of yamaha fz-16

dsc00655rk.jpg

This happens to be my 51st post, the very first post after license upgrade. So I thought to make it special. Here comes my 10000 kms. Report of my Yamaha fz-16. Well I bought my red-black fz as soon as it was launched in the market and mine was one of the first few. I used to get attention at that time and it continues somewhat till now. It has been a pleasant experience to own this bike, not only because it

arreddy thanks for the FZ 16 writeup. Its a fantastic bike and the fittest successor for the RX 100. And something that has done Yamaha proud    in India after the flop models it kept launching one after the other. The pricing however deters some buyers who go for the Pulsar 220 now a days priced at some Rs 75K plus due to the electronic fuel injection giving way to the old carburettor.

ya. R15 shook the industry but FZ was the one which made the cash register's ringing for yamaha. most importantly despite of high price people went for Fz for its sheer qaulity which is now a benchmark.

@alok

i get mileage around 40-45 kmpl. with mixed style of riding.

Not a bad mileage from a good bike.

@alok

no i wasn't fast' date=' but i think i jammed the rear brake too hard for that instance. secondly the road was uneven[/quote']

Kindly do not take anything otherwise. i was over confident regarding 140mm fat rear tyre.

yes the rear tyre tends to skid ..happens with me too
for better control always use both the brakes simultaneously ..

+downshft

and keep the handle straight otherwise t will happen in every bike not only in FZ

Well, here's the 15000 km report, or should I say 8km report, as my odometer is showing 8km . Will return to it later, first some normal stuff.

Had to change the oil seal of the suspension for a couple of times and also the brake light .

The terminal of battery got damaged due to excessive deposition of carbon. So, replaced he battery. Now onwards , will regularly keep an eye on the water level and stuff.

I was earlier concerned over the rapid wearing of rear tire , but THANK GOD it's not wearing that rapidly any more, and will last for say at-least 22 K - 25 K. And yes , the grip level is still good.

A regular paid service costs me around 610 Rs. , here's the breakup :

220 - engine oil

55 - oil filter

125- chain lubricant and spray

210 - labor charge

Though I don't check the FE regularly, it's around 40 kmpl.

Coming back to the odometer part,

Sometime a year back , suddenly the odometer tripped for unknown reason and it showed 0 km. The guys at the service center were clueless about it. I think they made a note a of it , and I never paid a heed towards it as the console worked fine thereafter. I was pleasantly surprised when I got my bike back after servicing , fitted with a new console. When I asked about it , they said it has been replaced under warranty. So for Yamaha , for this.

In all the the bike is running fine .

How the pillion rider feel in this bike? Is it too bad or managable or good.

It basically depends on the built of the pilion ;-) . A 30 - 45 min ride is O.K , but prolonged ride can be cumborsome , as the seat is a bit narrow .

But still , the comfort level is not as bad as it looks .

It's been 4 years . Time flies by :huh: ! But the love for my bike is same , I may say . I think , I can share with everyone about the bike , as much as I can .

Lets start with replacements . The chain set has been replaced , and so are the tyres . The rear one is the 140/70 ContiGo now. I may say that the grip levels don't match that of MRF Revz . But the cushioning is better . One strange problem I'm facing is , when the tyre pressure go up a little bit , at a particular speed , vibes are creeping in . Need to show it to the service center . If somehow MRF is able to increase the life of tyre , I'll always prefer the Revz for the grip levels .

Another problem that the Fz riders , is that , the ride is a bit harsh . The suspension can be set soft , and I'm going to soften the springs and see is there any relief . No matter it's going to affect the handling . But for urban commuting , I think ride is more important .

Secondly , I have to work on the front springs , as there is persistent problem of oil leakage . And I think the same problem has been faced by some other riders .

The paint finish still pretty fresh , the panels still hold pretty well , and the economy stands around 40 KMPL .

That's it !

Its almost 5 years, phew, time flies by! One thing I can assure you, the quality of bike is top notch. No rattles, even after riding the bike on plenty of bad roads. Paint quality still holds good. I've changed the rear tyre to

Contigo as mentioned earlier, I'm not too happy with the grip. Its a pretty hard wearing tyre, will take some time to wear out. Plus the high side walls produce slight vibes at slow speed.

Apart from that bike is running fine.

A piece of advice for future fzians, the ride is pretty stiff on bad roads, either be ready for it, or compromise the handling and soften the rear shock absorbers.

I wish the bike had a little more power, because bike isn't economical anyway

Good to see that the bike is serving you well. I agree wit the fact that you expect more economy when there is a compromise on power. Looking forward to more updates. How about some more pics of your bike?

5 years, and it just feels yesterday! When R 15 and Fz were showcased at the 2008 Auto show, all the attention was towards the track focused R 15! I must admit, it was R 15 which garnered my attention. Although Fz was showcased, it played more of a side hero role. Immediately followed the spy pics. But it was then, when I saw it in person, it looked a bit small, and realized, riding 30 kms+ a day would be a task. By the time R 15 was launched, spy pics of Fz started rolling, and the first pic that I saw, was that of rear three quarters! Boy, the massive rear tyre, my eyes popped out. It looked like a bike of quarter litre (and above) category. Those beefy looks were just mesmerizing. I just kept tracking all the development.

And then came the launch day. I usually research a lot, the same I did while buying the bike, but it was simply heart over head this time. I was truly smitten by its persona! For me it was a perfect bike, healthy spec sheet, superb quality, and the icing on the cake was the pricing.

My bike was amongst first few in the city, I enjoyed every bit of attention, and till this day it has the same charm. The quality of bike is top notch, the parts have aged well. It's commendable that the bike has held its own in these 5 years. There is simply no competition, Honda has tried twice, but didn't succeed. For quite a some time it was the bread winner for Yamaha, and still moves decent numbers.

It had its little niggles over the period of time, but once you are smitten, you just let it pass. I won't mind Yamaha continue with this timeless design for 5 more years, all I wish was a little more power!