Power

The Skoda Laura Thread

Thought it would be helpful for all the Laura owners here to share problems/knowledge about Laura.

We should keep adding to this thread any problems/solutions/ discussions / tech guides about the laura.

I have been asking questions on pm, and i think its better to ask on threads.

Am looking to buy a laura soon, my daily running wont be more then 30km,  about 900-1000 km a month, if possible a weekend holiday sometimes.

Confused weather to buy 1.8tsi petrol or diesel ambince/ elegance.a

comfort is very important as my father would be sitting behind.

owners of the laura > should i buy the laura... give details on reports if you can.

Skoda laura is a very good car. If you are ok with the little lack of service provision then there is no looking back. If performance is your priority then 1.8tsi is the best. If daily run is more then diesel makes more sense. Elegance is the better model of the two with more features. Ride comfort is very good. No diesel rattle or noise like jetta. Diesel is not underpowered and very efficient. So my opinion would be diesel elegance. Only hindrance is the service network.smiley1.gif

Isn't the Laura's engine would be changed before April next year?

possibly 140bhp crdi.

The one which will power the Yeti.

AI right here?

Post edited

Note: Use Capital letters where required & post in proper English.
BornFree2009-11-25 17:47:09

I havent heard anything abou laura changing its engine.

Anyway, today i went to the skoda showroom to inquire of the laura.. we spoke quite a bit.. then i ask him for dilivery - he said it would take about 3-4 weeks, He told me that i should get the car in 3 weeks and he would put me on a temporary registeration and then register the car in jan 2010.

Is this possible or hes just talk rubbish and try to sell the car on 2009 model ?
Power2009-11-26 16:00:13

At 30kms/day commute, it's best to go in for the stonking 1.8 TSI, and enjoy the drive, rather than go for the diesel. If I were you I'd go for the petrol that's anyhow my favorite. But look around you may not have much company for most of the car's are mainly going to be the 1.9 TDI; residual's for a petrol Laura are not that good, unless a nut like me come's along to buy it.Durango Dude2009-11-26 16:10:18

@DD > am buying the l.8TSI smiley4.gifsmiley4.gif

Finally after so many days, i made my decision !!!

And even convinced my dad FOR BLACK COLOUR !

I have a query > if i recieve my new car my dec 20th, then can i keep a temporary registeration and buy register in first week of jan... is this possible ? this is what the dealer told me.

Congrat's on your buy. But be careful with your ride. The lesser you visit the Skoda service the better for you. Don't forget to post pic's as and when you take delivery of the car and also fill us in with the initial ownership experience of your "wolf in sheep's clothing". It can crack 100 kmph in 8sec's flat and can go on to a top speed of some 220kmph. It make's it 25.5 kgm torque from a lowly 1500 rpm. For that money performance wise nothing comes close: this Skoda transport's you straight into premium luxury territory inhabited by base models of the C class, A4 and 3 series.

Hey buddy,,

I think the new engine is bound to come since the present diesel engine in not Euro IV compliant.

You can also see the Autocar's issue of October where they have shown upcoming cars for 2010, In the same issue they have informed that the Skoda Yeti will be launched with 140 bhp CRDI engine.

No offense to you, but don't you think that if Skoda is planning on continuing on the present PUMP DUSE engine then they would also have been planning to launch the Yeti with it.

Hi buddies. I'm having Laura and now it will turn 4 year old in Jan. I'm very disappointed with this car. Second year the ac compressor got problem. Thank god it was in warranty then. Then the next year axles started making noise and I got it replaced for almost 75K. Same year fly wheel started making some noise. It was for 35K. Suspension kit got replaced for 19000. Timing belt 17K. And from the last 3 months the ac compressor is having problem again. I had a very bad experience driving this car as it remained most of the time in workshop. So I can't suggest anyone to buy this machine.

Hey buddy' date=',

I think the new engine is bound to come since the present diesel engine in not Euro IV compliant.

You can also see the Autocar's issue of October where they have shown upcoming cars for 2010, In the same issue they have informed that the Skoda Yeti will be launched with 140 bhp CRDI engine.

No offense to you, but don't you think that if Skoda is planning on continuing on the present PUMP DUSE engine then they would also have been planning to launch the Yeti with it.

[/quote'] Yup, definately they will equip new Yeti with new engine, but this doesnt means that they will change the Laura with the same. Laura and Jetta's current TDi engines will meet BS4 norms and thus there will be no engine change for now atleast.

I didnt got your logic, Yeti is new car and thus it will get new engine, and Laura's engine meets the norms and thus it will not get any engine update, it doesnt implies that Laura should get new engine or Yeti should get TDi engine.

And also, all companies knew regarding the emission norms but still Skoda now only brought the new facelifted model of laura, so they might have thought something before that, right???

@Gary, that's depressing! A lot of customers have been complaining about Skoda cars every now & then, I would be really scared to buy one of these now!

Anyways, apart from the troubles with the car, how was the Workshop experience, were they helpful & did they honour warranty?

Hi buddies. I'm having Laura and now it will turn 4 year old in Jan. I'm very disappointed with this car. Second year the ac compressor got problem. Thank god it was in warranty then. Then the next year axles started making noise and I got it replaced for almost 75K. Same year fly wheel started making some noise. It was for 35K. Suspension kit got replaced for 19000. Timing belt 17K. And from the last 3 months the ac compressor is having problem again. I had a very bad experience driving this car as it remained most of the time in workshop. So I can't suggest anyone to buy this machine.

It's horror stories like these that really make me turn away from the Skoda brand. I have a 4 year old Elantra that is sparingly run only 18000 kms till now and have got it serviced only once a year for some Rs.2,500 to 4,000 max and it's still running like a dream. I don't mind spending on fuel but frequent visits to the workshop is a real damper. Basically it's difficult to match Hyundai's ownership experience. I'd be very comfortable with a Sonata Transform than to have to live with a permanent Damocles sword over your head with a Skoda. I feel Skoda clients are becoming hostages. The way the Sonata is selling now at the end of next year it will have a "clearance" sale with a hefty 5 lakh discount and may be then I may consider; Hyundai has spoilt me with it's hefty discounts smiley2.gif, then Kizashi will also be around to do battle. Let's see who gives the bigger discount and which is the better car. Probably end of next year will the best time to get bargain basement D segmenter's. Sorry to have got carried away and very much OT.Durango Dude2009-11-27 10:21:34

Is the case is same with Volkswagen A.s.s or is it different. I am planning for Jetta.

VW clients, in India, are few and far between; it's best you approach the dealer for some client testimonials or search around your locality for any client's. Anyhow, Surat's a rich city, you shouldn't have problem's.
Durango Dude2009-11-27 10:31:30

@Gary' date=' that's depressing! A lot of customers have been complaining about Skoda cars every now & then, I would be really scared to buy one of these now!

Anyways, apart from the troubles with the car, how was the Workshop experience, were they helpful & did they honour warranty?
[/quote']

The workshop experience was horrifying as well. The parts I ordered were delivered after ages but the warranty experience was fine. If you know people in workshop then it's easy for you to get delivery on time else they will give least priority to your car.

My right door mirror motor was not working and these guys took almost 3 months to get it delivered.

That's a pity! Could have been the saving grace but alas Skoda is not showing signs of improvement. Laura otherwise makes a strong case for itself, let down completely by the below par after sales.

You guys are probally right but only for your city !

They dont care for other cities which arent metros.

Skoda A.S.S is excellent in mumbai.  ( its a bit expensive, obiously your buying a amzing car )

Soon I will be wearing the tittle - Queen of the road.

Post edited

Note from mod: remarks on others are not taken in good light, use capital letters where required.
BornFree2009-11-27 13:20:49

Hey buddy' date=',

[/quote'] Yup, definately they will equip new Yeti with new engine, but this doesnt means that they will change the Laura with the same. Laura and Jetta's current TDi engines will meet BS4 norms and thus there will be no engine change for now atleast.

I didnt got your logic, Yeti is new car and thus it will get new engine, and Laura's engine meets the norms and thus it will not get any engine update, it doesnt implies that Laura should get new engine or Yeti should get TDi engine.

And also, all companies knew regarding the emission norms but still Skoda now only brought the new facelifted model of laura, so they might have thought something before that, right???
As per my knowledge present Laura is non Euro IV compliant.

There is something called presense of competition in the market.

They have to launch a better engine to take on Cruze and Upgraded Jetta (late 2010). Do you still think that the new Jetta will have the same PD engine?

As you must have known VW had already upgraded the engine of Passat with the Crdi Engine.

My Logic:

Both the Yeti and Laura are based on the same platform.

There is also something called cost reduction factor, I don't think they will like to outsource two different engines for the same platform. That doesn't make sense.

One thing more If Yeti is a new car that doesn't means that it should get a new engine. If we go by your thinking, they could have sold it with the present PD engine which is also available in UK along with the CRDI engine, but Skoda is planning to upgrade the engine.....

Now you wonder why Skoda is doing it?

Hi' date='

Laura 1.8TSI is VFM car.I was told 2.0TSI RS is coming but not sure.

Ac compressor got problem

This is due to over filling of 134A

PJ
[/quote']

Skoda always tempts like 'the forbidden fruit', the lower its service dip's the more tempting product's it launches.

@Gary' date=' that's depressing! A lot of customers have been complaining about Skoda cars every now & then, I would be really scared to buy one of these now!

[/quote']

The workshop experience was horrifying as well. The parts I ordered were delivered after ages but the warranty experience was fine. If you know people in workshop then it's easy for you to get delivery on time else they will give least priority to your car.

My right door mirror motor was not working and these guys took almost 3 months to get it delivered.

I can't help but feel sad for you! My uncle also faced this problem. He considered himself a fool for buying the Octy. But there turned out to be an even bigger fool. He bought the car for 11 lacs including some accesories and used it for a year but many visits to workshop pissed him off so he decided to sell his car and he found a buyer who was willing to give him 13 lacs! So my uncle was more than happy to sell it off and relieve a whole load of stress! smiley36.gif

This is turning into hating skoda thread.

Well skoda has canceled the licence of a dealer in mumbai because they use to sell fake parts..  i guess those days are over now.

I need some help on buying either diesel or petrol since the diffrence is only 40k.

My father prefers diesel because of the milege, but then again diesel makes to much noise. and its only 105 bhp where as the petrol dosent make noise at all and has 160bhp. ( audi engine in it )

My general running wont be more then 1000 km a month.

What should i do ? very confused... My dad has left the choice to me to decide..

I need to make my decision my today.

Go for the 1.8Tsi, dude. Considerig your running I dont think the petrol diesel difference will matter to you much. Plus if you consider the pleasure you will derive out of that fiesty turbo charged engine, you will forget about the economy. smiley36.gif