Power

The Skoda Laura Thread

TSI will provide very powerful and refined ride than TDI. You should only worry about fuel expenses you may incur and the resale value. Let us take some worst case figures and do some calculations for illustration.

Lets assume

FE for TSI = 8kmpl

FE for 1.9TDI = 12 kmpl

Cost of petrol ~ Rs 48

Cost of Diesel ~ Rs 36 

basically this means you will be spending 100% more (double) on petrol than for diesel.

Lets continue,

Mileage per month = 1200 kms

Petrol needed  = 150 litres per month

Diesel needed = 100 litres per month

Amt spent on Petrol = Rs 7200 per month

Amt spent on Diesel = Rs 3600 per month

That means for your use (1200 kms per month), you will be spending approx 40 K more per year for fueling your TSI than TDI.

Lets say you will be using your car for next 3 yrs. You will spend approx 1.2 lacs more on fuel on your TSI. If you save 40 k on TSI now, you end up spending 80k more over 3 yrs for petrol.

That will be your cost for having powerful refined engine.

Iam not sure if the resale value of TDI will be any better than TSI after 3 yrs use.

TSI will provide very powerful and refined ride than TDI. You should only worry about fuel expenses you may incur and the resale value. Let us take some worst case figures and do some calculations for illustration.

Lets assume

FE for TSI = 8kmpl

FE for 1.9TDI = 12 kmpl

Cost of petrol ~ Rs 48

Cost of Diesel ~ Rs 36 

basically this means you will be spending 100% more (double) on petrol than for diesel.

Lets continue' date='

Mileage per month = 1200 kms

Petrol needed  = 150 litres per month

Diesel needed = 100 litres per month

Amt spent on Petrol = Rs 7200 per month

Amt spent on Diesel = Rs 3600 per month

That means for your use (1200 kms per month), you will be spending approx 40 K more per year for fueling your TSI than TDI.

Lets say you will be using your car for next 3 yrs. You will spend approx 1.2 lacs more on fuel on your TSI. If you save 40 k on TSI now, you end up spending 80k more over 3 yrs for petrol.

That will be your cost for having powerful refined engine.

Iam not sure if the resale value of TDI will be any better than TSI after 3 yrs use.

[/quote'] Good calculation buddy:

But the Fuel efficiency of TDi is way more than 12kmpl.

Some one's are getting it around 18kmpl and mostly around 15-16kmpl.

I think when we talk about the resale it's more about the brand and we all know about SKODA. (A.S.S.)

If one want to buy a petrol and want to sell it after 3 years then nobody can get better resale than a Honda Civic.

Skoda's are more known for their diesel cars, I doubt if Skoda TSI's resale value is more than the TDI. Everone knows about Skoda expensive service expenses, Used car purchaser will look for some thing that will not make holes in his pocket from the every way possible.

@Tinny9

Please dont suggest other cars because i have discussed this for months, i have made my decision and will stick to it. About the A.S.S, i agree with of you hating skoda but times have changed now. I know people who has skoda vehicles and hasent complained at all, Infact my dads friends owns a laura and is extremely happy with car and and a.s.s

I guess Skoda Mumbai dosent face such A.S.S problems.

one more thing - i TD the civic and i personally Did not enjoy driving it.. it was to low!

@JDrive - thanx for the brilliant info/calculation.

i personally want the tsi for its ultimate power, but then i have to think practically tosmiley11.gif

I will get more re-sale value for the TDI OR TSI ? How much diffrence approx.

is the TDI engine powerfull enough ?

I will get more re-sale value for the TDI OR TSI ? How much diffrence approx.

is the TDI engine powerfull enough ?

The TSI Laura is one gem of a car and lightning quick with very refined engine. Small dab of acceleration and wow.... feeling. Had a TD and even at 120, the car accelerated crazily to 170-180.

TDI will have a better resale as its a long proven engine.

I have read that TSI engines of Laura that too the high compression 1.8 is very sensitive to petrol quality. 1 fill from a unknown pump could put you into trouble. FE you can expect around 8-10 kmpl thats it. The more you use the turbo spool, more fuel you waste but TSI turbo kick is addictive.

The diesel Skodas are proven vehicles, old Laura has had its share of troubles with electricals and all but you cant expect more resale for a TSI than a TDI. 1.9 TDI gives very muted accl compared to 1.8 TSI. The TDI are noisy too smiley19.gifcoolboy0072009-11-30 16:30:35

@Power: At 1000 kms a month, diesel doesn't make sense. Go for the petrol, but rest assured that a petrol skoda will depreciate like a ton of falling brick's for sure and FE will in the city will be 8-9 kmpl max. If you want check with your neighbourhood used car dealer. Diesel will have better residuals at the cost of driving pleasure and FE will be fantastic for a car of that size. Choice is yours, ultimately you and dad gotta decide. At present my car gives me a FE of 7 kmpl and I'm happy with it coz my running is not that much and in the 4 year's that I have owned it has run only 18,000 kms. But it pinches especially when you take it on long trip's. But in the city it's gives me immense driving comfort: I don't have a driver. Run's smooth and silent, absolutely next to nothing 'passing noise'.

the tdi will have better resale then tsi anyday, the older octavia petrol had very bad resale compare to the tdi, if u care for resale go for tdi if u want a performance car its tsi, very simple choice..

Even now, when i thought that new Laura TSi will be a good seller(as its cheap and affordable and powerful) and saw every new Laura as TSi but when i checked most of them with their badges, they came out with TDi, i was surprised as even now most are buying TDi rather than TSi, till now i havent seen any TSi or i missed few, be rest assure that TSi will have lower resale than TDi, as rightly said Skoda's are trusted for diesels & hence resale for TDi's will be more.

for long time TDI has been the only Diesel offering in this segment. So Laura buyers were mostly those who only wanted Diesel. TDI is proven car and been impresive with performance. Jetta has failed to make an impact so far. Cruze is a new entrant.

TSI 1.8 has not been popular in india because it was rolled out in the much expensive Superb.

The Superb 2.0 TDI was a marvel and folks preferred it over TSI.

With TSI now being offered in Laura, its definitely a value proposition. But it is higher priced than Altis and Civic. Consumers value brand and price more than sheer power.

normally a TDI engine life will be lower than TSI. TDI may need more maintenance after few years. But the demand for TDi far out wieghs these factors and hence TDI resale seems to be higher than TSI.

I need some help - Reason to convince my dad to buy petrol.

-Advantages and dis advantages of buy diesel laura amience 1.9TDI.

Note - This will be my first time am buying a diesel car.

How many colours are there, i hear there are 6 ? 

white,black.Cappuccino Beige, silver, green and ?

How many colours are there' date=' i hear there are 6 ? 

[/quote']

where in india are u from?

How many colours are there' date=' i hear there are 6 ? 

[/quote']

follow this link for info on Laura: http://www.skodalaura.co.in/

I saw a Laura in dark grey (same as polished metal in ANHC). It looked awesome. I wonder if Laura comes in that shade or was it a done over in after market.

That grey is most probably the Cappucino beige, but its not exactly same as polished metal of City.

@insane - Am from mumbai to.

i was just browsing the net, i found this site called car wale. is it better to buy from them or directly from a dealer. I will be buying on emi of 3 years.

I Was again checking the prices for other cars and just wondering is the jetta 1.9 Tredline is is 15.50 on road thane. its the same price as laura 1.9 ambience.

Till what i remember a long time back is, i really like the jetta but i had ruleD out because of budget, but now since i have stretched it >  should i re-consider the jetta ?

@insane - Am from mumbai to.

i was just browsing the net' date=' i found this site called car wale. is it better to buy from them or directly from a dealer. I will be buying on emi of 3 years.
[/quote']

just want to inform u that the laura 1.8tsi needs min 95octane fuel, so u will need to fill speed97 most of the time & u can fill 91octane for emergencys, in mumbai speed97 is available, so thats why i asked smiley1.gif

I Was again checking the prices for other cars and just wondering is the jetta 1.9 Tredline is is 15.50 on road thane. its the same price as laura 1.9 ambience.

Till what i remember a long time back is' date=' i really like the jetta but i had ruleD out because of budget, but now since i have stretched it >  should i re-consider the jetta ?
[/quote'] Well you will have to TD it. Even am considering the diesel Jetta trendline, from what i have heard VW has better service standards than Skoda and obviously VW holds more snob value than Skoda any day. Also to me Jetta looks better than Laura. Also now the interiors are changed, no more dull grey interiors are offered, now the latte-beige interiors with new steering and BS4 model is available, but if you opt for black i think you will get only black interiors. Check with the dealer for more info.

How many models  are there on the jetta ?

My skoda dealer called me up today - December Discounts are out.

70 K discounts ont he laura pertrol, sadly no discounts on diesel.

They already had 50k corporate discount. Check if the 70k is exclusive of that.

@BS

TD of Jetta didnt enthuse me. I ruled out Jetta since then. driver wise, Laura (including TDI) is definitely better.The Black Jetta comes with beige interiors. White and Silver has black interiors.

just want to inform u that the laura 1.8tsi needs min 95octane fuel' date=' so u will need to fill speed97 most of the time & u can fill 91octane for emergencys, in mumbai speed97 is available, so thats why i asked smiley1.gif
[/quote']

Are you sure that the 1.8Tsi needs a high octane fuel?

yes its runs better with it, worldwide this engine runs on min 95 ron, it can run with 91 octane but the ecu will detune itself with knocking sensors & thus the running wont be as smooth as it will be with speed97, you can drive the car with 91 octane fuel for sure but if you really want all the juice from the motor speed97 is recommended.. 

OK! I understand your point but expecting anyone to feed that already hungry(7-9 km/L) engine with Speed97 would clean out the owner.

It would be pure madness to undertake such incredible running costs. smiley11.gif