autoraj

Raining awards for the star car - A-star

Winner of light car division at Global Green Challenge for emitting just 89.9g.km of CO2

VCD rating says A-star 4th most environment friendly car in the world (after prius hybrid, civic hybrid, IQ)

A-star - TopGear car of the year

A-star - Autocar car of the year

A-star - Zigwheels car of the year

That's Maruti flexing it's marketing muscle. I think A-Star is cute enough to sell on it's own, I don't think anyone else gives, AC, dual airbags, ABS/EBD, Mp3 player with 4 speaker's at some Rs.4.5lakh's on road with a frugal/peppy engine, and for God's sake it's a Maruti and it's not selling as well as expected. It's difficult to fathom what really can catch the buyer's imagination, these day's. I think it also has a much better shape than the Dzire which has a rear end resembling that of a "bhathak" (duck).

I think people are still going for the more established names like WagonR and Santro rather than the A-star considerig how these cars are similarly priced.

Yes, they do lack features and the newness of the Astar but they are roomier, still not bad looking and pretty much 2 of the all time favourite cars in India.

@DD
I user to call the Swift 'A FAT LADY ON STEROIDS' thinking it looked bad. But now when I look at the DeZire I am left speechless wondering how deep do i have to dig in to come up with a name which would justly describe how bad that car looks. smiley36.gif

It was the best small car of the year 2008 by ACi.

Being so much environment friendly even without an special frills & technological breakthroughs is great & matter of proud for such a car which is priced so less than the competitiors there.

So, Just hang on hybrids, without them still there's a way to go.

After all what we call it 'Made in India'.

Well the worst drawback of A star from making is sell is the crampness and the most bad of all the dashboard it is toooooo high poor front visibility.

I haven't sat in an A Star or driven one, probably you are right, there must be something basically wrong with it to put people off. When I get a chance to try out one shall give my opinion.

I user to call the Swift 'A FAT LADY ON STEROIDS' thinking it looked bad. But now when I look at the DeZire I am left speechless wondering how deep do i have to dig in to come up with a name which would justly describe how bad that car looks. smiley36.gif
True, even i wonder that how to describe a car that looks too much ugly.

Well for Astar, i think many people dont find it good looking and cute, and another drawbacks are its too small boot and cramped rear.

it could have sold better if they sticked on with the basic design of the a-star concept which looked great. but they went in with more contemporary looks. the headlights have some inspiration( look at the design of indicators) from i10 which instantly became the best seller. the rear is really cramped. and the car looks like compressed swift from behind with alto's tail-lamps.

moreover it doesn't come cheap if we compare it according to dimensions

According to me, A-star should have done better in India. May be because, it is a car which was designed solely eying the European small car market.

However, in European countries, it is a run-away success. People might think that, it is due to the Car Scrappage scheme. However, there were many cars, in the same segment, but A-Star (Alto in other markets) was very competitive among the lot.

The dashboard, according to me is of a great design; though a beige interior trim would have been a warm welcome for Indian market.

The interior space is acceptable; but Maruti gave more travel to the front seats, making a perception that, the rear seats are cramped.