anish88

Honda City 1.5M S - Battery Died on Me!

My family has a Honda City 1.5M S (the new one.. err the one before the current one actually), purchased in February 2009. Been serviced as it was supposed to according to the intervals n all that jazz. Today, the battery died on me. The car hasn't been used for almost 2 weeks, been parked for the period. Is it normal for the battery to die out so soon? My 4 year old Hyundai Getz's battery hasn't died on me ever, even after being parked with nowhere to go for close to 2-weeks.

Please advise. Should this be taken forward to Honda/the Dealer/Service Centre or is this the case with most Hondas? Anyone else have this problem? Honda or otherwise?

Its too soon for a battery to die out. A battery of a new car should last at least three years. Please check if current is leaking somewhere which is discharging the battery. My Accent's battery gave up after three years. After that I had a problem in my 2001 City, but that was due to bad wiring. Since then the Amaron battery is running quite nicely for the past two years.

Your battery should be in warranty so send your car back to Honda and let them sort it out.

Thread Moved.

FRG

FuelRunGod2009-11-28 16:26:45

Did you get any accessories installed after you bought the car - if yes then those are the most likely suspect. You have a current leak somewhere.

If no then send the car to the Honda A.S.S.dtandon2009-11-28 16:25:20

It's like the difference between a budget phone with no features and a smart phone with many features. The battery in a budget phone last's longer as it has fewer things to run and a smart phone needs a power socket more often coz of the number of features. The lesser the components the battery runs the better it's life, don't add too many ICE features and keep using them when the car is parked and then the battery will drain off faster, like a DVD player. If so kindly see a good auto electician in your locality rather than going to Honda ASS, probably a good autoelectrican will be able to locate the leak and suggest a solution better than the ASS.

I found these interesting links that you may find useful. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-42B.htm

Going thru' the above may help you find out for yourself where you have gone wrong with the batteries. The ASS guys only service your car and most of them don't even do a customary level check of the battery fluid's.
Durango Dude2009-11-28 16:54:44

I don't know about you all but today I started my zen after 2.5weeks and it started in a couple of cranks the battery was replaced just 1.5years ago . Also my factory excide battery had a good life of over 6.5years . I have central locking installed in the car that time.

I don't have any aftermarket fitments barring a reversing sensor system. The care was factory fitted with a centre locking system. Here's something I noticed the other day (While I was sitting in the car calling the Honda guys up) - When I make a call, I get that cellphone sound, even when the car is switched off. This is the sound that comes when you take a cellphone near a landline or an old stereo system. Seems to me something stays on 24/7 and is likely sucking the battery out.

That's precisely what it is - your reversing sensor system's installation is faulty as is powered on even when the car is switched off.

Please get the battery charged and get the installation redone.

I own the Honda City and we have not faced any such problems till now. I recommend taking it to the service centre. Also tell the about the mobile problem. As said by dtandon I think the reverse parking sensor has been directly drawing from battery at all times

The electrical circuits if faulty can drain the battery though, but one must be very careful with short circuits that may cause the car to ignite.I find that most of the after-market fitments create all the problems, if the electrician involved does a mediocre level work.

When in doubt, its better to disconnect the battery terminal when the car remains parked, to prevent further battery drain.And then, after the check up and rectification of the fault, the disconnection mode can be discontinued.

@dtandon?Are reversing sensor systems in general ON even when the car is off or is this something wrong with this particular case only?

Like FRG said - there is a problem with this particular installation.

If everything is installed correctly, then there are only a couple of things that draw a very negligible amount power while the ignition is off -

- the car's central locking alarm sensor systems (if you have vibration and IR sensors)

- the ECU and the HU (to maintain in memory settings).

A correctly wired install (be it reverse sensors, central locking or ICE) will never draw enough power to drain the battery -- even if the car is left parked for 2-3 months. dtandon2009-12-02 12:02:46