Sign in to follow this  
soundar.d.gr8

Need help - Santro alternator issue

I have never owned a car and my knowledge on repairing car is zero. My cousin owns a 2001 Santro zipDrive car. He purchased it from second hand market in Jan 2007. The car was very sparingly used. I am using it for three days now. Earlier, it was idle for a month at a stretch and during Chennai rain.

Yesterday, when I was driving back to home from office, I stopped the car in mid way to pick up my wife. After that the car didn't start. I can here the relay sound. I started the car by pushing and reached home.

The car battery was 4 years old. I changed it this morning. The new battery is Amaron, which costs Rs.2850, after Rs.300 discount for old battery. While installing the battery, the technician advised me to check the alternator. It gives around 12.5 volt when engine runs in idle. It gives only 13 volt when accelerated well without A/C. The battery guy told me it should give 14 volt at least to charge the battery well. The car gives squeaking sound when running. I suspect that the sound is from the belt, which connects engine and alternator. I also suspect the belt is not tight enough to rotate the alternator well. Am I suspecting correct?

Please help me, as I need some clear picture on what repair has to be done, before giving the car to repair shop.

Also let me know the rough cost for the repair (alternator / belt). It would be great, if some on refers me to a trustable mechanic in Chennai.

Thanks.

The alternator as a whole would prove to be costly but only the belt may be around Rs.500/-.Is the "Battery not charging" indicator lit up on the inst. panel? If so,there can be some problem with any of the alternator components or charging circuit which a mechanic will be able to find out.

By the way,if you suspect any play in the belt,u can check it for yourself since checking belt tension is easy.

Thanks for your reply.

The "battery" indicator is not lit up. I enquired Hyundai for the belt and its cost is Rs.600. The squeaking sound from the car is more now. I am taking the car for service this weekend. I will update what mechanic says.