1-Testosterone

Why prefer Diesel over Petrol?

Apart from economy (Diesel is much cheaper then Petrol) is there anything else (a valid point) why Diesel Engine should be preferred over Petrol counterpart?

In India the mindset is such that if it's diesel, it wins otherwise car manufacturers don't stand a chance! Honda is an exception though. 

It is otherway around.I guess Petrol vehicle gives us the punch to cope up with the city traffic rather get carried with Diesel engine sluggish power. Even a super powered Skoda or CRDe Scorpio would also find difficulty in managing todays city traffic.

Petrol gives us the best pick up avilable on earth and off course on economy it does not help one to win.

I prefer diesel over petrol because in the city' date=' the low end power characteristics of diesels make them nicer to drive than their petrol counterparts in bumper to bumper traffic.

FRG

[/quote']

The only diesel we owned was a "Sipani D-1" so I have a real 'fear' for diesel's; and all car's emanating from Bangalore: San and Reva. No offense to all Bangloreans at large....lol

hey Rssh both CRDi and CRDe are same comman rail direct injection but in a diffrnt acronym for dffrent comapanies.

For Hyundai its called CRDi , Mahindra CRDe , Tata - DICOR , Ford - TDCi   , Chevy - TCDi . Renault - DCi,

Cheerssmiley20.gif

Yep. After driving Optra Magnum' date=' it was hard to realise that it was powered by a Diesel Engine. Smooth, Powerful and well refined to say the least.[/quote']

Yes i agree the Magnum has a very god power and torque but i think the front grill and the headlights doesnot looks soo exciting!

Common dude i say it will be better if you drive the Swift Diesel too, its almostt peppy ( not completely) as the Petrol one and just 85k difernce between P and D and a great FE which make swift D a great Small car package!

Cheerssmiley20.gif

The MOST comfortable car out there. Even more comfortable than Sonata CRDI. Potholes and uneven roads will not bother you anymore. Acceleration is great and it's hard to believe that it's a diesel car.

Although I didn't it's interiors but I really think at 10 lacs, this is the BEST overall car money can buy. It's way better than Skoda Octavia TDI.

The most catchy point: Sheer Comfort and Diesel Power (Acceleration)

Most hated point: Lack of accessories and plain interiors.

Having said that I'm very excited about GM's Diesel technology and now, I'm waiting for Chevrolet CAPTIVA which is due next January. It'll be certainly better than Optra when it comes to comfort, power and equipment.

Agreed that modern Common Rail or PD Diesels have a punch and are comparable in performance to petrol engines. What need to be considered are:

1. Higher price of the diesel car (in UP higher Road Tax which is 4.5% as against 2.5% for petrol). Also, higher insurance costs since the diesel will as a rule have a larger engine.

2. Narrow power band which will require more gear changing. I do feel that this makes a diesel the ideal candidate for Auto transmissions.

3. Higher NVH levels.

4. Higher maintenance costs.

Thus the economy of the diesel has to be balanced against these factors. I feel that unless you do 15-20k per annum the petrol may turn out cheaper to run as well.

One must however bear in mind that manufacturers are turning diesel centric with the petrol engines being there just for names sake (Verna is a prime example of this)!

petrol are always fun to drive but diesel is the way if u dont want to stratch that card of your that often...

I drove a Swift Diesel and a Verna Diesel and i feel that somme how your statement is wrong or maybe you have driven the Indica Diesel and you are giving this statement

Both the Verna and Swift were Powerful but if elt the Verna is mre powerful and both cars were almost like Petrol cr itself,smiley32.gif

Regards

Priya

Both the Verna and Swift were Powerful but if elt the Verna is mre powerful and both cars were almost like Petrol cr itself' date='smiley32.gif

Regards

Priya
[/quote']

Well it can said about Magnum TCDi with huge 32 Kgm of Torque! Forget about petrol cars ;)

The diesel Accord 4 cylinder is quicker in 0-60 than its gas V6 counterpart due to superior low end torque, not to mention its frugal as well. Same goes for the deadly Audi V-10 which was setting all kinds of records on the US Le Mans circuit and dominating all the gas cars as well. A well maintained diesel will also outlast its spark ignition counterpart due to the very nature and design of diesel engines, diesels can carry phenomenal load and last long and manage to return good fuel economy as well, case in point, the trucks, locomotives etc, all run on diesel fuel. Diesel fuel also is inherently lubricant in nature, one of the reasons Mercedes calls its diesel engines Oel Motoren. This fact itself helps diesels outlast gas engines significantly.

yes i too hope the Diesel Accord lets also hope that Honda launches it in India ,

And it will definatley win when compared with the Superb and passat which are expensive!

Cheerssmiley20.gif