Durango Dude

Beetle Juice !

LA 2009: Volkswagen shows off "Final Edition" New Beetle models

by Michael Harley (RSS feed) on Dec 2nd 2009 at 4:58PM

02-vw-beetle-final-live-630op.jpg

2010 Volkswagen New Beetle - Click above for high-res image gallery

03-vw-beetle-final-live-250op.jpgSignifying the end of what has been a long run, Volkswagen has introduced "Final Edition" models of the New Beetle coupe and convertible. Each will be limited to a run of just 1,500 units. Under the hood is VW's familiar 2.5-liter inline-fine (rated at 150 horsepower) sending power to the front wheels through a six-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission

I cant find a good reason for VW to launch this car apart from using it as a 'Halo' model. An all new model is around the corner, so what's the point in launching a car that is going to be out-dated in a year, that too at such a high price? It will definitely find buyers as its styling is very cute but a more sensible option would be to introduce its stylish models like the Passat CC and the Tiguan.

Or' date=' may be the backseats are meant only for?your leather briefcase and your girl's colorful vanity case.? [/quote']

Good one there. I am seeing more Nuclear Indian families around nowadays. DINK = Double Income, No Kids. Not sure, it will be a good buy for them. Even with a kid, kid can sit in the backseat till 10 years. smiley2.gif

Reminds me the Moris Minor' date=' a vintage car.

Is there a leg room option in the rear seats for this carsmiley19.gif
[/quote']

Back seat's are only for bilateral lower limb amputee's

LOL! I swear this one made me laugh! Amputee hahahah! But then again I have to admit that Beetle's are cute and I can't wait for the next one on 2012...if we're still alive hahaha just kidding!

Why did they have to humiliate the car by making it LIGHT BLUE.

They ripped apart even the remote bit of masculinity that the car possessed.

But, the car has had a good run and is sincerely an icon to the motoring industries all over the world.

People are actually going to pay 20 lacks for this small car ? i mean i woudnt waste that kind of money i would rather go for other choices like laura top end, accord. fortuner etc.

I am really keen to see how many cars will VW sell with beetle. ( i wil go to VW and ask for TD, are they giving for a new car ? )

Its not meant to do big numbers. Its an icon?rather than a practical product. Sort of like the Fiat 500 and Mini Cooper.

Their predecessor's were icon's coz they put loads of people on the move. But these product's are expensive and can't really be called iconic: reduced to a rich man's toy, in India, which the old Beetle and Fiat 500 wasn't. I wonder why Ford is not bringing a 'model T' concept, probably they'll price it also between 15 and 20 lakhs, too; plenty of money to be made, huh?Durango Dude2009-12-08 12:19:58

HAHA!! Model-T.

Its because of the legacy attached with the name, that allows these companies to command the price they do. Its world class technology draped in legendary designs primarily to invoke nostalgia of the 'good old days'.

In India coupled with the duty due to these cars being imports, I guess it is even more. But, I guess 'iconic' was a wrong choice of word for these cars and is more suited to their predecessors. I still say they are awsome cars for those who can afford it.(Big fan of the 500smiley4.gif)