jimmyd

Metal Crashguards a Pedestrian Hazzard

I have been an avid reader of car and bike mags. In many of them I have read about the tests carried out on cars where the pedestrian accident safety is also checked. The plastic design of the bumper is crucial in determining how the accident victim is passed over the car to minimise injury. By fitting metal crash guards the vehicle owner is flouting the safety norms set by the vehicle manufacturer and the authorities. Throug this forum and using the influence of the magazine we should highlight this issue and get a ban on the use of crashgaurds.

Yes the crash guard is a potential killer and should be banned , people think that this guard can save their car but it acts as a catalyst in case of an accident if the fitting of the guard is not proper. I remeber putting it on my zen and it was welded and screwed together but then in a small accident it ruined my headlamp bumper and went inside the radiator .Then I promised not to use it anymore .

i second your opinion, The plastic bumper works both ways

It ensures the pedestrian hit by gets the minimum injury and second it absorb shock, thus protect inside passengers too.

There is a wrong perception build around the the bull guards / Steel Crash guards that it will protect the vehicle from damage if met with an accident, however it will never.

The intensity of impact and jerk would be severely increased due to inability of the guard to absorb shock. The damage to the vehicle as well as the persons inside will be severe.

There is a need to spread awareness about this facts, i see people go mad about putting such guards on the vehicles.

The guards look good and strong in the pics. But if you see how they are attached to the body or frame...no way it can transfer the shock or save the body from damage. But the main topic here is that it is unsafe for the pedestrians(the accident victims). I wonder how the RTO turns a blind eye to this.

Instead it may end up cracking chasis and body frame. It is unsafe for the car too. A metal bar adds weight to your car and that also unevenly. It will also hamper FE even if it is negligible.