Kinshuk

Maruti 800 spares

Im looking to replace a few parts in my '88 model M800, need some pointers from members:

1. Windscreen - MASS has quoted Rs3500 & a MGP Dealer has quoted 1200!

2. Carburettor - mechanic has advised to replace the existing carb - should I get this done at a MASS or buy from local spares shop? Which brand should I go for?

3. Headlights - After 20 yrs the reflectors are pretty dull now, Should I buy Lumax or something else?

@Kinshuk - Where are you sourcing the parts? Try Tribeni Motors (opposite Cathedral school on the Shahnajaf Road side).

Thats the place where I source parts for all my cars. But do stress that you want to MGP parts as he sells local stuff as well. He's an honest chap who doesn't pass off substandard parts as genuine ones.

Do not buy from Lal bagh. The shops there all try their best to rip you off.

For the windscreen, you can also try "Windscreen Experts".

(got this from google)

Address: 923 LEKHRAJ KHAJANA,

NEAR LEKHRAJ MARKET

FAIZABAD ROAD

LUCKNOW

Tel: 0522 - 2312424/3212424

@Cyrus & dtandon: Thanks for the info!

Windscreen Experts - saw an advert about 2-3yrs back in the newspapers & I wasn't aware it still existed!! Will give them a call today as well as Tribeni.

As this is the first major part replacement on the M800 routine maintenance was done at a MASS, so havent bought any spares for her yet - besides tyre upgrade to Bridgestone radials from MRF nylons! (Since 10th July, 1988)

For Fiat Parts we go to Sindh Automobiles,Lalbagh the guy still stocks some heavy spares and is able to source parts from all over.

Manora (Novelty Cinema roundabout)is the best when it comes to custom seats - was there yesterday saw seats being done on a Laura - the feel was exactly what the original 'leather' seats feel - im getting the same on my Altis! (faux leather from Mayur Leathers)

By the way, the M800 is also getting new seats, moulded roof!!

Got back from Windshield Experts - the experience was horrible, the sales guy was someone who had the 'don't trust me' look. The first question was "how do you want replacement - insurance or cash?" Finally, got a quote of 2500. Found some connections in Maruti's Regional Office, hope will get a better deal through them.

Im looking to replace a few parts in my '88 model M800' date=' need some pointers from members:

2. Carburettor - mechanic has advised to replace the existing carb[/quote']

Kinshuk,

Why carb need to be replaced. any problem faced in tunning?

Before buying a new carburettor please get it checked by a trusted mechanic.Just because some jets , gaskets, screws, springs and so on may be doddering, the whole unit need not be replaced. A MGP Mikuni carburettor repair kit with usual wear and tear parts should be available.

And for the headlight sealbeam Lumax is the best. I had replaced the left one in my1987 Maruti 800 about eight years back.The reflector was getting rusted.It is in fine fettle now. The right one is the Lumax OE headlamp.

There are several parts which have been giving problems - jets, butterfly and float - from past experience, kits seldom work as desired - leaks, overflows and sticky butterfly issues crop up.

Lumax (for my model) is out of stock, will have to wait for some time. Ones I found were already dull!

clear lens headlights wont be available for m800 1988 model??

Luckily, there's been a workshop just diagnally opposite to my house since the past 60yrs. They're also our 24x7 roadside assistance! Each time the fiat or maruti need some work done - its done in our garage - even painting!

How much did the moulded roof lining cost you ? A breakup of all the costs will be great.

The seat covers match the color of the car very well but the back pockets are spoiling everything (and you'll probably never use them anyway).

Its driver driven and mostly used by my mother and these pockets can store things like magazines and files etc...which are of great use in traffic jams!

Roof, seats, door panels & laminated windscreen = 6200

Mikuni Carb: 3500

Very nice kinshuk,

Price seems reasonable. How you checked the originality of carburetor?

do change the wiper blades also ( i think it is already done).

Moulded roof is looking great.

What about the dashboard? Is it in good condition?

As your car has only covered 55k (if the odo is correct) you will again enjoy the performance (carb 800 is more silent than mpfi 800).

Thanks Alok!

Carb was checked by my mechanic whose family has been repairing our cars since the 1930s!!

Wipers are good no need to replace.

Yes the odo is correct and she's pretty silent - one cannot here the engine when car's idling.

(Using Castrol Magnatec)

Let me brag a bit...If you'll call all the 1988 model marutis to a convention, my car will have most of the original parts in good working/cosmetic condition! Even the original vinyl seats are intact!! (the car had just 15k kms till 2000 - its was when we sold the good old Amby Mark3 off and bought the OHC that this car came into somewhat proper use - till 1999 we had two of India's fav. workhorses doing regular duty - Amby and Fiat!!)

Thanks BS and you're exactly 10 yrs younger to me!! smiley17.gif

Sure, I'll take her to La Martiniere (one of the oldest schools in Asia, only one with battle honours and my school) and take some pics of both the car and the bldg (to show what the tourism department cant)