anjan_c2007

Adieu to Hamara Bajaj Scooters!

The reason for Bajaj Auto bidding goodbye to the scooter business is not palatable.Their ONE POINT AGENDA "They want to become the largest motorbike manufacturer in the UNIVERSE!"smiley32.gif

To concentrate on this one point agenda they want to get rid of the scooter tag that has stuck to them for decades.

Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha,Kawasaki,Vespa, Peugeot and a host of other

companies make mopeds, scooters,motorbikes,All Terrain Vehicles and the

first two and the last one even make cars. So its no great thing done

when they say we finish off the scooter business to concentrate on 100

to  500 cc bike segment and also on 135 cc to 400 and 500 cc Pulsars.

Production of the XCD launched only a few years back with lots of publicity and fanfare is also stopped.

And look at the way they said goodbye to the 100 cc segment a few years

back only to bounce back a few months ago just for volumes.

Their models in the lower range 100-135 cc bikes have been erratic.

Something is suddenly ushered in and something is taken off the market

shelves.Look at how they ended up the Kawasaki KB 100, 4S,Boxer, CT

100, Caliber, Wind, Platina, XCD  and so on.The Platina is now

relaunched.

The four stroke scooters Chetak 4S,Legend,Saffire,Krystal were taken off from the markets due to poor demand.

It is now apparent as reported by the press that the senior and

respected Mr Rahul Bajaj is being sidelined and his sons are taking

over.It was reported that they wanted to build a plant in Himachal

Pradesh, a new tax haven. The senior Bajaj opposed saying that

transportation of raw materials would be a cost factor to that remotely

located state. Rahulji remarked "What after the mandatory tax holiday

period expires?" The juniors vetoed him and went ahead.

The junior Bajajs have successfully created brand Pulsar and to some

extent brand Discover but the rest of the pack are all flops.The KTM motorcycle company  takeover whether successful or not, only time will tell.

The 3

wheeler and is RE prodigy is Rahulji's creation. The 4 stroke 3 wheeler

introduction is a sign of the times.

It is the brand name that Rahulji painstakingly created all these years that is drawing customers towards BAJAJ.

In comparison just analyse the goings on at Hero Honda. They have very

less flops and are very focussed with a razor sharp grip on the market.

They too market old technology.Their graphics and plastic mouldings are

attractive and futuristic on the higher end bikes, that attract the

youth. The rural markets stand captured by the low end 100-125 cc Hero

Hondas. And they have captured the no.1 slot from Bajaj long back.

anjan_c20072009-12-10 15:35:47

Product launches By M/s Bajaj Auto Ltd: From 1960-2009

1960-1970 - Vespa 150 - Under the licence of Piaggio of Italy

1971 - three-wheeler goods carrier

1972 - Bajaj Chetak

1976 - Bajaj Super

1977 - Rear engine autorickshaw

1981 - Bajaj M-50

1986 - Bajaj M-80, Kawasaki Bajaj KB100

1990 - Bajaj Sunny

1991 - Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion

1994 - Bajaj Classic

1995 - Bajaj Super Excel

1997 - Kawasaki Bajaj Boxer, Rear engine diesel autorickshaw

1998 - Kawasaki Bajaj Caliber, Bajaj Legend, India's first four-stroke scooter, Bajaj Spirit

2000 - Bajaj Saffire

2001 - Eliminator, Bajaj Pulsar

2003 - Caliber115, Bajaj Wind 125, Bajaj Pulsar

2004 - Bajaj CT 100, New Bajaj Chetak 4-stroke with Wonder Gear, Bajaj Discover DTS-i

2005 - Bajaj Wave, Bajaj Avenger, Bajaj Discover

2006 - Bajaj Platina

2007 - Bajaj Pulsar-200 (Oil Cooled), Bajaj Kristal, Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi (Fuel Injection) , XCD 125 DTS-Si

2008 - Bajaj Discover 135 DTS-i - sport (Upgrade of existing 135 model)

2009 - Bajaj Pulsar 135(December 9), Bajaj XCD 135 cc , Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i , Bajaj Discover 100 DTS-Si.

Source Rediffnews

We miss BAJAJ SCOOTERS.

And, the superb HAMARA BAJAJ ad jingle.

I remember those days when our relatives used all their connections

to get an out-of-turn allotment of a Chetak or a Priya.  In my initial

days in my Bank, I used to handle a lot of applications for new

Bajaj Scooters each accompanied by a draft or a cheque drawn out

of NRI funds and those guys used to wait for almost a year to get their

dream two wheeler.  And, I have seen a number of marriages where

gifting a scooter is a unforgettable event.

Inspite of these, I never had a Bajaj scooter.  But,

I certainly miss the wonderful advertisement AND the wonderful two wheeler.

There used to be the Chief Ministers quota,CSD quota, Govt officials quota and the Press quota.These sources used to help one get the scooter earlier than the normal booking.

The production numbers were controlled and so was the price that was fixed by the government. The demand outstripped the production by leaps and bounds.The production was a mere 30,000 scooters each per annum for Vespa (Bajaj Auto Ltd) and Lambretta (Automobile Products of India Ltd).Each scooter cost Rs 3000 odd till the early 1970's.The premium for Vespa/Bajaj used to be nearly Rs 2000 or even more but Lambrettas commanded a maximum of Rs 1000 to Rs 1500 premiums and no more.

I cannot say that I have an idea of the internal goings on at Bajaj but it is true that they have been erratic when it comes to new model introduction and the subsequent stoppage of production of the same model. They have been very clueless in their dealing with the market. Anjan's post says that the Pulsar and the Discover brand to some extent are their successes. Pulsar is a success, Bajaj's only success. The Discover is not a success. The rest of the motorcycles have been derivatives of the Kawasaki 4s or prior to that the KB 100. There is no reason why Bajaj should not stop the production of scooters, especially since none of the scooters that they have made post the Piaggio clones have been successful. But this whole thing of always going to the press to keep the company in the news is the abhorrent part. When will Rajiv Bajaj learn to keep his mouth shut and let his products do the talking? As far as the claim that they want to be the world's biggest motorcycle manufacturer is concerned, it is ridiculous. I am sure all the big motorcycle companies are quietly chuckling to themselves. sadsack2009-12-13 01:46:27

I love this decision from bajaj!

Because these scooters really make their Revenue results go down!

Now they will top the charts again

Their whole range of scooters were shoddy and were not going anywhere lately.Its like some patient who was suffering a lot from several illnesses and who passed away to overcome all the suffering for the better.

Well now most of the people prefer bikes and thus one can say that era of scooters is over, many prefer a 100-125cc bike over scooters anyday, even those who loved the scooters to the core are now prefering bike as they are anyday more practical. No one now prefers a geared scooter.

But i loved that jingle 'Yeh Zameen yeh aasma, hamara kal hamara aaj, Buland Bharat ki Buland Tasveer (Naye bharat ki nayi tasveer), Hamara Bajaj'bluesapphire2009-12-16 06:00:35

But i loved that jingle 'Yeh Zameen yeh aasma' date=' hamara kal hamara aaj, Buland Bharat ki Buland Tasveer (Naye bharat ki nayi tasveer), Hamara Bajaj'[/quote']

very true said..

i think the positive point with bajaj was its service back up n solid built body,otherwise it was not atall good in driving,it didnt had proper balance where the lml nv scooter was the answer,hence again they r back becoz they know it still has the best balance when compared to the honda eterno,the only scooter here. 

Well the Honda Eterno is discontinued now. And i cant see any ads or media prints of LML scooters, nor any showrooms, so i cant think they can really make a mark here until they bring something like this

vespa-scooters.jpg or better than this at good price. Probably a fancy younger scooter.