arkboypunk1

Logan or Ikon.(D)

My grandfather, after looking at the DZire and Manza decided against goung for either of them, as he has problems in reversing his car from his parking lot. A shorter vehicle would be not much a chore. So, the choices are norrowed down to the Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLE/DLX or Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCi(iKool).

My septagenerian grandfather will be using the car primarily for travel within Anantapur town (AP), where there are lacklusture, roads with no dearth of potholes and co-road users who do n't care about rules and drive their own way.This will account to almost 15km a day. The car will also be driven all the way to Bangalore (around 200km away) 3-4 times and another 4-5  times to nearby Pavgada and other such places. 

I felt the Logan would be better, but my grandfather does not like the looks. He favours the Ikon as it costs a good 50-60k cheaper and has more palateable (though I like the latter's looks). We've heard that the Ikon's performance is better than the Logan's. but the Logan has better fuel economy. My grandfather has NOT test-driven either of these cars yet.

We are replacing a 26 year old Premier  Padmini. My grandfather needs good seating in the front, and a boot such that it will be easy to reverse also.

Considering all this, we need help to make this decision, and would like toknow which is a better choice. Also, is is worthwhile to go in for an Indigo CS ( though my father already uses an Indigo) or a smaller hatchback, like an Indica Vista, Maruti Ritz or the Fiat Punto? 

I'd suggest SX4 for its high seating and excellent ground clearance. For a 15 kms a day ride you don't need a diesel. The new car is also returns better mileage than the old one. Unless you are bent upon a diesel give the SX4 a try.

@DD I think Sx4 is a good buy but reversing is a con of sx4 you can't see a damm thing behind.

I suggest you go for Indica Vista as it will be easy on maintainance both the sapphire and quadrajet engine are good . Also the car is much spacious but the visibility is something average in it.

Ritz is a well package and you can go for it eyes closed.

@arkboypunk1

With the latest available gadgets (sonic and video) for assisting the driver in reverse parking, it is not a problem at all.  So, unlike his earlier Premier Padmini (which, I too, was having till recently) now a days, any car can be fitted with these gadgets which assist him to park his car safely.  So, let your grandpa decide a car (big or small does not matter) which suits his stance and style of driving.  I do not think he needs a Diesel car for such a low usage.  Moreover, changing gears in a Petrol car is much easier and smooth.  It is also easy to maintain and cheaper to get servicing done than a Diesel car.   And, a Petrol car can stay unused for two to three weeks at a stretch without any problem.  

Tell him these aspects and let him decide.      

Hi, I own a Ford Ikon 1.4 Duratorq. The car is excellent and returns gr8 mileage figures of 15.5kmpl in bangalore city and 20kmpl on the highway (though little lesser than what others claim). The seating is a bit low compared to the other cars like the Logan , but they are very comfortable. You can have a test drive and check. Reversing is not an issue , its comfortable, but yes, like all sedans, one needs to stretch your neck sometimes during reversing.

The logan also has a huge blind spot at the rear and is not easy to reverse (quite like the SX4 in that aspect). But you can get reversing sensors or a camera.

The logan and SX4 would be better choices for your grandfather because they both have a high roof. That makes getting in and out easier.

The logan petrol has a good discount these days. The SX4 petrol is a better overall package. Don't pick a low car.

Since this car is for your grandfather, getting in and out of the car needs to be easy. Ikon is a low seating car, so getting in and out needs some effort. You can try out the Logan (D) itself. Also, I have not driven the Logan , so no idea about the reversing aspect. Ikon is pretty good. You can get the reverse sensors fixed to your car. Reversing in cramped parking spaces - the logan or the ikon , they should be the same.

Hi

I own a Ikon D since last one year and it has been fantastic. Compared to Logan I would recommend Ikon any day. And i find it hard believe that Logan would have better mileage than Ikon. Mine easily gives more than 21 even in city!!!

Yes, it is a little low seated but once you get used to it, that doesn't bother much.

Regards

Vineet

Why not Figo' date=' its a sedan in Hatch clothing also at entry level hatch price. The reviews are so good, and all you have to wait for is just One More Week[/quote']

Well said Bala.

The Ikon is very low on seating & your Grandpa will find it really troublesome in long-term use & your 2nd Choice is fizzled now.....

So, If you are strictly in the favour of a Sedan, go for the Ford Fiesta 1.4l TDCi Diesel Limited Version(if your Budget allows).

Check it out at:

OR

A lesser expensive & Practical option being the Tata Indigo CS DiCOR.

Both a really powerful, fuel-efficient, enjoyable to drive with Good Seating & Back visiblity too............ 
dr_nishu2010-01-29 18:58:30