sibu

How is the Optra Diesel?

What do you think? Americans love Germans?

Its not in loving dude , its about the qaulity and the reliabilty that they see and they are more liking towards those Asian ones like the Toyota and Honda  and Merc and of course they do have thier own brands like the ACURA and Mini and many more and Germans are not that very great in the US markets!

Cheerssmiley20.gif
mndvishnu2007-11-15 10:28:59

What do you think? Americans love Germans?

US loves value and quality, when MB and BMW offered them that, the made these two brands big, then the Japanese came and offered better quality at lower price making it an even better value so thats why they are number one.

Nobody can really know a car completely in a day or two. Its only when you drive them for longer periods, only then do you start to appreciate the finer aspects.

The Octavia is a very well thought out car. But with the arrival of the Optra diesel, it has been outclassed and outsmarted. But it does have its strengths like its far better to drive in the city than the Optra, thanks to its superb low end response. I personally prefer the Octavia's ride and handling package to that of the Optra.

FRG
FuelRunGod2007-11-15 22:17:10

Having owned an Octavia for a couple of months now I find that I am relly happy with the cars performance in everyway, I cannot comment on the Optra as I have not driven one yet. The Octavia has been around for more than five years and the high resale value (diesel) shows that it is very much sought after and the fact that owners are reluctant to sell probably keeps the second hand price high. On the other hand with GM products the resale value is quite low so maybe time will tell about the superiority of one or the other. Also the article in ACI about the Octavia's being used in Israel as taxis and clocking very high mileages shows the solidity of this car. On paper the Optra definitelty  looks the better choice but in the real world it does not work that way always 

autocar reports a new optra by end 08 (with probably the same diesel engine tho a new petrol) - so if you can afford the rapid depreciation in 1 year caused by the introduction of a new model, go ahead. I think I'll wait.

roony you are right reliability can only be told with time Octiva is solid and is good to be considered if one wants to keep for more than 5 yrs but lesser than that then Optra will be better.

Having owned an Octavia for a couple of months now I find that I am relly happy with the cars performance in everyway' date=' I cannot comment on the Optra as I have not driven one yet. The Octavia has been around for more than five years and the high resale value (diesel) shows that it is very much sought after and the fact that owners are reluctant to sell probably keeps the second hand price high. On the other hand with GM products the resale value is quite low so maybe time will tell about the superiority of one or the other. Also the article in ACI about the Octavia's being used in Israel as taxis and clocking very high mileages shows the solidity of this car. On paper the Optra definitelty  looks the better choice but in the real world it does not work that way always [/quote']

Yup , you may be right , but if the Products fo GM are good , definately there will be good resale value for it ,For example i am sure the optra Magnum diesel will have a good resale value and i dont feel the OCtavia Having a Very goood Resale value

after 3 -4 years no one bothers to buy an OCTI coz its very high on maintenence and spares , whereas no one will hesitate to buy the Optra Magnum Diesel 2nd hand ,

The OCti is geting outdated and LAura SHould have replaced it , but myself will surely go in for the Optra MAgnum Diesel in this CAse

Regards,

Priya

Do you know that optra spares will cost less? If the resale value of the Octavia is not good why are prices still high? As I have said earlier one has to wait and see how the optra performs so maybe that would be the thing to do

Do you know that optra spares will cost less? If the resale value of the Octavia is not good why are prices still high? As I have said earlier one has to wait and see how the optra performs so maybe that would be the thing to do

Try nicking that OVRM on the Octy and you will be looking at a Rs.11,000 hole in your wallet. Octy is sure wallet busting when it comes to maintainence. Body work, headlights and taillights are sure to make you swoon. OK you may hand it over to your grandson (it may last that long); but paying a king's ransom for a car that's out of production in other parts of the world. I don't see why people should pay Rs.12,00,000 for an outdated car.

i have to agree with Durango Dude. the fully loaded Laura is available for about 16 lacs in the UK (already an expensive market for cars) - so why on earth are we paying 20 in a 3rd world economy? skoda isn't perceived as a luxury brand anywhere else except here. these prices for an "outdated" car are further evidence that global car manufacturers here take us for what we probably are - fools. and if you really want to buy something that will last, is outdated, and expensive to maintain, get a BEST bus. or a tank.

Well, I dont know why so many people rave about Resale values of their vehicles. Got to pick the vehicle on the basis of performance and just enjoy your time with it.

If I were choose between an Octi and Optra, Optra would be my choice as it beats the former hands down in almost all the departments. So I would worry less about resales and enjoy the performance of Optra rather than enjoying the fantasies of Octi resales values.

diablo37989 1-Testosterone pra2veen  I wonder if any of you have driven an Octavia for any length of time or indeed have even sat inside one because it seems to me that you have plucked your opinions out of thin air. As far as worrying about resale value or' resales values' as you choose to put it, nobody worries about it we just consider it a yardstick to measure the attractiveness and quality of the car in many respects. I have spoken to a number of Octavia users and they all seem to share my opinion that it is a car which gives them a lot of enjoyment despite the fact that spares are expensive.

hey roomy! none of my posts have anything to do with the octavia's re-sale. the point I was trying to make was that the car is way overpriced (as durango dude correctly pointed out) for an outdated model - that's not my POV alone, look up octavia prices internationally on the internet. so yeah, I guess I haven't spent as much time inside an octavia as you have. I've been too busy doing other mundane things. like learning how to read.

today had a close look at optra diesel....

i liked the interior treatment.. the dark and light beige colured dash board treatment looked nice.. but i think that, the beige colour on the top portion will cause reflection on to the windshield..

and the big silver rings around a/c wents look nice too... didnt have a chance to test drive...smiley19.gif

today had a close look at optra diesel....
i liked the interior treatment.. the dark and light beige colured dash board treatment looked nice.. but i think that' date=' the beige colour on the top portion will cause reflection on to the windshield..
and the big silver rings around a/c wents look nice too... didnt have a chance to test drive...smiley19.gif
[/quote']

yea i agree , but i think the Front portion doesnot look agressive and Coool , it doesnot have the dual chamber headlights , and front grill also not too good to look at

regards,

Priya

Face it, guys... The Optra is a car meant for the boring kind of people who wouldn't mind tossing that extra buck for that li'l bit of luxury and pride. They can't really see that they're being looted. Neither the Optra is cool nor attractive. Its got boring looks and sprinkles of melancholy everywhere around it. I know a black Optra... no amount of washing, cleaning, perfume would cheer her up... Negative vibes all around... Always gloomy, get that roomy?