dre@ms

Linea Clutch - Long Play

Hi all,

We recently bought the mighty and stylish Linea Dynamic Petrol version. Previously I was driving Spark. The moment I started the Linea, I can feel the Clutch ply is very long, due to which, gear shift from 1 and 2 is not that much smooth. I came to know, that all Fiat car's have this long ply for clutch.

I believe, I have to practice more to get used to this. Also I read in TBhp that this long ply can be adjusted. Is it so, if yes, how?

I also call all linea owners to share their suggestions/advices to quickly practice this long ply issue. This hurts my left leg a lot. Also, due to the long ply, my foot gets stuck between the clutch lever head and floor or floor mat.

This also causes my linea to stop/stall once in a while. It stalls when moving from 1st gear.

Please help!!!

You'll get used to this combo of Clutch-Gear-Break.

While shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, If you're releasing Clutch earlier than required (before commensurate press on Accelerator) & car is stalling, try revving a bit more in 1st before changing the gear.

I am trying to do the same thing. But, my car is new and has just clocked 650 odd KM. So, worried about revving my car much. Sometimes I do rev and the rpm shoots to 3000. Will this affect the engine? Also, is there a running in period for Linea?

Read somewhere, that a running in period is not required for Linea but for the first 1000 or 1500 KM need to keep the RPM around 2000 to 2500.

Also in the manual there is no mention of the run in period and they have mentioned not to hard brake within the first 500 KM.

Please clarify.

advisable to keep RPMs generally below 2500 till 1500 kms. However, while gear shifting if sometimes it goes beyond that, there won;t be any issues. In fact, thats a normal way of driving. Keep it normal without any extra stress / heroics

I was driving Spark

You will find the Clutches OK so sooner than expected because, Spark's Clutch will also be heavy. So if you press Lineas thinking of Spark, you can easily get used to it.

May be those who drives latest Suzuki or Honda might find new Fiat pretty strange to drive because of its clutch.

@Vahan

thnx for the info. now I am relieved. I was hovering around 2k from start but from few days back increased it to 2.5k sometimes in the hiway, since she has become silky smooth. enjoying linea when it touches 80km. :)

@DD

thnx for ur advice. as u said, i am more cauious in riding this sedan when taking a U turn, narrow lanes and most importantly during reverse. thnx to my instructor in maurti who adviced the same when I was driving the esteem.

@bala

Spark clutch for me is not heavy and it was normal. But linea clutch is heavy as well as the ply is long. This is what I am concerned.

Any ways to adjust the ply?

Yes the clutch in fiat cars is big and in city its a pain to drive , after driving zen the clutch travel seems twice in Punto , @ dreams you will get used to it sooner or later also revving the engine till 3k is fine even in run in period .

@ dre@ms

As a Linea owner and who will complete 8K kms by next week, be rest assured that you will get accustomed to the long clutch ply even before the first service at 3000 kms.

Its just a matter of adjusting, i agree that the clutch of Petrol Linea is harder than other petrol cars but am sure its a heavy duty clutch as we have warranty on clutch plates too as i read in Warranty booklet albeit with some terms and conditions. Dont think any other company offers warranty on clutch.

You will master the art of leaving clutch and simultaneously pressing right amount of throttle to get good pickup and not any jerks.

thnx rssh and coolboy.

I was worried for revving upto 3k due to this clutch long ply during run in period. all experts here have replied that its not gonna affect the fire and its also normal so I am relieved. Even today while driving, I felt 100% confident in revving and also moving the car from 1st gear. Linea never stalled today due to my confidence.

I have checked my mileage now and its now increased to 13 from 9. Happy.