325i

SCOOP! Toyota Small Car is named ETIOS

Thanks for the info dear. But, cutting costs beyond a certain point will erode the quality expected from a Toyota car, whether it is an economic family car or not. I was wondering why Toyota is doing a Nano by curring down on one wiper ?    

toyota would be very foolish to compromise on quality to deliver the car at a particular price point, only to find out it has dented their "premium car" image in india

but then again, if they do not manage the price, it would go the Jazz way.

I hope they find a middle path somehow... smiley4.gif

It would be great if Toyota prices the ETIOS notchback from Rs 4.20 lakhs (base model with preferably gasoline engines) then it would have a cut throat competition with cars from suzuki stable (both hatchbacks and notchbacks too.) I think fit and finish would be at par with its Japanese contender(read SUZUKI) but would be much better than indigeneous manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra..( no offences meant to owners of these two brands, i also own a 2006 Scorpio SLX CRDE Type 2). The small capacity gasoline engines would return good fuel economy like its japanese rival, Suzuki. Finally Suzuki has tough competition...........

As said by me earlier, it is going to be a difficult thing for Toyota to strike a balance between the price and features.  On one hand, they have Jazz (costliest hatch) and on the other they have a very very looooooooong line of existing cars like Swift, A-Star, Ritz, Estilo, Punto, Spark, U-VA, Vista, i20, i10 etc., and many new upcoming cars like Beat, Polo, etc.,. 

For Toyota, it shall be a very difficult task to exactly find a place amongst the above lot of cars.   And, any wrong positioning may ruin the chances of it being a success.  However, after seeing the positioning of Fortuner, I am hopeful that Toyota will not do a harakiri.

My hopes with a Toyota small car arn't high because I believe small cars is not Toyota's forte. Also, the premium Toyota is used to asking will rob the VFM quotient which is very essential for a small car.

Yes DD,

From this TV commercial/teaser of Toyota's sedan based on its Premium hatchback for India,it really seems to be a good car with Right Size,Shape,Looks,Curves(front grille& the rear tail section)plus added bonus benefits like Quality,Comfort & Japaneese bullet proof reliablity Inherited from its Toyota's trademark 'QUALITY REVOLUTION'.

And after all these, plus their Promise about the Premium being charged on them, It doesn't seems to compete with the Entry level four door sedans(Swift Dzire, Logan,Manza,etc), Definitely Toyota will pit it against its inborn rival Honda's new City & with Fiat Linea,etc (at least on the Pricing front first too next on the others).....

The pricing for the base sedan model will be around 7Lakhs. I feel like this because on their contest questionnaire they are asking about the price we are planning to spend for our new car. They are asking about 7-10Lakhs range but there is no 4-7Lakhs range. So it is sure that there will be sleepless nights for Honda City and Fiat Linea.

@dr_nishu: "So it is sure that there will be sleepless nights for Honda City and Fiat Linea."

Forget Linea, it's just a babe in diapers; but it's sure to break the 'hegemony' of the ANHC which has been ruling the roost right from inception. Remains to be seen how it will be priced and also the equipment list.

@swiftmove: Great scoop, the car looks real handsome. smiley20.gif

Durango Dude2010-01-04 02:38:55

From the snap shots, the sedan version looks great, Hatchback resembles swift from the rear(take a look at the 3rd pic).

The pricing, which is important factor in India, are you sure that it will be priced between 7 to 9 lakhs. so its no more a threat to Tata Manza and Dzire.

But tough competition against ANHC,SX4,Linea.

2 days to go.

Great scoop Swiftmove. Thanks for posting the link.

The sedan looks great and I am sure it will take the Indian market by storm. Toyota will never price it in the range of Dzire and Manza. It is definitely targeted to the ANHC. The fall of the monarchy of ANHC is imminent and inevitable.

Finally the competitor for ANHC India has been waiting for. I just hope for the engine options, and the equipment list to be good enough to take on the ANHC because that is what will be needed from Toyota to cause an impression.

The rear of the sedan shown in the photo looks very much like the rear of logan seen from the top, when I see it form my flat. I am hoping it wont be that boxy

The hatchbacks headlight seems to resemble Getz while the rear matches the new A-Star being sold in Japan.