s8rohit

Automatic Diesal hatchback?

With the major share of hatchbacks and increasing demands for more and more premium hatches why arent automobile companies introducing diesel automatic versions?? Swift,Ritz,Punto,Vista,i10,i20,etc are most demanded hatches car makers should introduce Automatic versions of  diesel. Our indian customers are ready to pay for premium hatches therefore i feel a diesel automatic hatches wont go invain!

You don't have any diesel automatic hatches at present, you can go for the i10 automatic petrol 1.2 or the i20 1.4 petrol automatic or probably Verna Diesel automatic. i10 1.2 automatic is very refined and very easy to punt around in town.

Lets wait maybe after months maybe Polo will be offered with DSG
Well if you want a polo at 9lakhs with poor diesel engine then the unreliable DSG gearbox smiley12.gifis the one to go .

Anyways if the i20 is offered with verna diesel A/T gearbox then it can sell well but the petrol automatic will get stopped as diesel is showstopper

Anyways even if Hyundai launch 1.4lt manual petrol then it will be only 20k cheaper to diesel which means that people will go for diesel (except may be a fewsmiley36.gif )

Diesel automatic hatchbacj is the future urban car.

@rssh

i mentioned DSG it is simply one of the best auto-tranny offered in india , the other 2 which comes close is the honda and mitsubishi .(offered  < 20 lakh cars). verna diesel automatic is sluggish it doesn't stand upto the reputation verna diesel had made for itself

The mulitijet diesel engine has gained lots of popularity in india then the car makers should make automatic versions in their hatches. I guess its a missing peice in the picture of hatchback market. The car maker who fills it first wil boost its sales and imagine....Forget that if maruti get swift/ritz(petrol) also with an automatic version that boost sales alot and would be cheaper than the i20 AUTOMATIC and better than the i10 Automatic. i guess diesel autonatic hatches are the best for the urban car market where people are ready to buy the expensive Honda Jazz then there are ppl to buy automatic diesel versions of hatches which would be approx 40k over the existing topend models........... hardly it would add some money in the EMI but wil give alot of pleasure in this insane traffic driving.

@rssh

i mentioned DSG it is simply one of the best auto-tranny offered in india ' date=' the other 2 which comes close is the honda and mitsubishi .(offered  < 20 lakh cars). verna diesel automatic is sluggish it doesn't stand upto the reputation verna diesel had made for itself
[/quote'] Alright the DSG is an excellent gearbox even porsche PDK is the same thing but this unit is toooooo sensitive to be given to low end car market also I have seen many skoda and audi auto tranny getting replaced in warrenty which surely says that its not reliable in our conditions , Hyundai s gearbox though sluggish still doesn't cost a bomb and is reliable , I still havn't heard or read about this gearbox failure.

forget the high end germans........with their DSGs and PDKs and other highend semi-automatic gearboxes. If the suzuki and hyundai gets it simple 3speed and 4speed automatic gear boxes in their diesel hatches it will be boon for us...

@ Rssh

DSG costs a bomb because of no localization , i china even a base model of fabia is available with DSG and dosen't dent the pocket , and for hyundai they could have done much better , the auto-box in sonata was light years ahead of the one in verna

@rohit

maruti 3 speed are very unreliable and i don't think they can handle the torque produced by the diesel engine

MS has develloped 4 speed gear boxes also. SX4 has a 4 speed auto tranny

Rahul 5 speed auto-box are todays need , we can clearly see the difference in corolla vs civic auto-box , corolla feels way to slugish when compared to civic reason well it has one gear less so u have to rev hard to catch up.

Maruti will plonk a multijet into a hatch and the main concern will be that can the current auto-box handle the torque

And maruti and autobox don't do together , i was an automatic zen owner and it was an headache to maintain it , u had to wait weeks for the parts to arrive that was then and i don't see that things have changed 

I think Hyundai could have brought in the i20 auto with diesel power plant. That would have been quite successful even if expensive, as i guess today people are preferring Automatics and with Diesel is like cherry on cake. Automatics eats into efficiency and thus petrols are not preferred.

But for small car i10 auto is a great choice.

But Fiat India could have stolen the show with Linea or Punto Automatic diesel. I think many would have preferred Punto for its Diesel Auto in big cities.bluesapphire2010-01-01 04:22:04

lets see what can be future options for automatic diesel hatchs ?

1) i10 diesel auto i.e if they launch i10 diesel

2) i20 diesel auto which i think hyundai won't because it will take it into vernas territory

3) ford figo diesel ?

4) Indica vista diesel smiley20.gif

5) Polo diesel auto

6) maruti can launch diesel auto, they can source auto-box from mahindra or maybe their new VW partner can help them
sarabjeet2010-01-01 06:54:12

The main reason is the cost. The price of a diesel engined variant is more than the petrol and moreover, adding an Automatic pushes the price up even further. So, basically the sales figures are very less and for such low numbers, making an automatic transmission in India makes no sense. Importing one adds to the cost further and you end up with a high price.

This price is out of budget for many and there is additional pain involved in spares distribution. Any delay/replacement would damage the company's reputation. So this is one risk that automakers are not willing to take. Nano will be the first diesel-auto primarily because even after an auto in a diesel engine, it wouldnt cost more than 2.5 lakhs on road (my speculation). In such a case, many will still be able to afford and this my friends is where the whole point lies.

designersf2010-01-01 17:20:09

@ designersf

the premium for auto's on hatches such as indica vista , polo , punto , swift would be around 50-70K , if u add up it will be still cheaper than a fully loaded i20 or jazz , automatic will be popular in diesel because it will not hurt the FE as for the spares well i don't think  spares should will be a problem automatics don't breakdown so easily and once u have sale spare will follow  

Fiat already has the automatic diesels abroad in Punto. Not only that they also have the latest technology - Triptronic - which is both automatic and gears as and when you like it. Even the gear shifting is very easy as you can operate like a video game with just Plus and Minus. This is soon going to be available in India and thats when Iam waiting to buy my Punto.