anirudh

safest indian hatchback

Am keen to know the safest indian hatchback-with the increasing road accidents where we are world leaders one has to lookinto this apsect of ones car apart from the fuel efficency etc.

any car with 6 airbags should not be the crieteria to award it with the safest car.

I think Fabia with its very strong body, two airbags, ABS and brake assist, its a strong contender.

The Fabia catalouge mentions that apart from Airbags, the Ambiente and the Elegance variants also have ABS, Dual Rate Brake Assist and MSR.

While most cars offer ABS with EBD, I guess Fabia does not have EBD.  Here is an extract from wikipedia:

Brake Assist detects circumstances in which emergency braking is required by measuring the speed with which the brake pedal is depressed. Some systems additionally take into account the rapidity of which the gas pedal is released, pre-tensioning the brakes when a "panic release" of the gas is noted. When panic braking is detected, the Brake Assist system automatically develops maximum brake boost in order to mitigate a drivers tendency to brake without enough force. In doing so, Brake Assist has been shown to reduce stopping distance by a significant margin; up to 20% in some studies.

MSR is Motor Speed Regulator. It controls the speed of the engine (or revolutions per minute) during down shifting to avoid skidding.

@uneet

I think 6 airbags give it right to be awarded the safest car. It is the only car  variant with 5 star international ratings being sold in India.

Similar to what you said is with many manufacturers and many manufacturers have some innovations too, like GCON in Honda but they are not considered safest.

@Durangodude

The i20 has fared well in 2009 tests that have modified parameters. Fabia did so in the older form. We cannot exactly judge which one is better as the change in criteria has not been mentioned.

But I do know that the 2009 tests are slightly stricter and that the i20 is safer than the Fabia.

Overall, safest hatch is i20, Fabia, Polo

Punto also gets 5 stars (pre-2009)..Jazz and Polo too manage 5. Chevrolet Beat gets 4. Ford's new Fiesta hatch gets 5 (pre-2009 norms) (Figo is based on earlier Fiesta platform). SX4, Ritz, i10 all manage 4 stars in the pre-2009 tests. So there is not much to distinguish the cars achieving 4/5. All 4 rated are similar like all 5 rated ones

Punto also gets 5 stars (pre-2009)..Jazz and Polo too manage 5. Chevrolet Beat gets 4. Ford's new Fiesta hatch gets 5 (pre-2009 norms) (Figo is based on earlier Fiesta platform). SX4' date=' Ritz, i10 all manage 4 stars in the pre-2009 tests. So there is not much to distinguish the cars achieving 4/5. All 4 rated are similar like all 5 rated ones

[/quote']

They can be distinguished by whether the same car that was tested is being sold here. These cars having 4/5 stars are usually tested there on model having 6/8 airbags which is in only i20 Asta (O). If jazz were to come with 6 airbags then it will be considered the safest.

AS only i20 sells a true 5 star car, i.e. the same variant that got 5 stars here I feel it is worthy of being called the safest hatchback

Hyundai i20 In Top Five Safest Cars Of 2009

Sat, Jan 30, 2010

Comment

Hyundai_i20_EuronCAP.jpg

For the first time, Euro NCAP has released its top five safest cars

of 2009, based on their maximum five star award and their overall score.

Top of this list is the Volkswagen Golf VI that was first tested in

2008 under the former rating scheme and was re-released in 2009. The

Honda Insight Hybrid and Toyota Prius, two fuel-efficient vehicles

tested in 2009, were second and third respectively in Euro NCAP