ayesha

buying a new suv between 45-55 lakhs

hi i am looking for a nice suv between 45-55 lakhs and my daily running is around 75 kms on an average and it should be an automatic, so i have short listed a few like mitsubishi montero, porsche cayenne, vw touareg, ML320 CDI, and the audi Q7 if you have any other option which you think will be better for me please let me know. Help will be appericiated.

Montero is the best offroader among the mentioned but as I gather, comfort, presence, etc. are high on agenda, in this case try Q7. Cayenne would cross the budget I guess.

BTW, Toyota is coming up with Prado Diesel in this range, should be interesting!

At this price, I recommend you look at these options -

Audi Q7 - Strong V6 diesel with 230bhp and immense road presence. Arguably the no1 along with BMW X5

BMW X5 - Buy mainly if you drive yourself. Razor sharp SUV with strong 3.0L diesel and is the lightest in this crop of SUV's. Autocar's pick too.

Toyota Prado diesel - Low on power 171bhp (engine shared with Fortuner); otherwise it is really good; but not worth its price (my opinion)

Cayenne - It is beyond your budget. Base 3.6L V6 petrol costs 60+lakhs and 3.0L diesel is 64lakhs. Great dynamics and handling but love or hate looks and space not as generous as others.

VW Touareg - Good SUV with understated looks but otherwise faultless. VW not as prevalent as BMW/Audi.

Montero (not in this segment) and ML not the best. Other options mentioned above are better. Volvo XC90 is also an option.

Ultimately, at this price, there are many options and I suggest you drive atleast a couple of them to understand their behaviour then choose. Your choice depends on your requirements too

I'd say look a the Q5 it's smaller than Q7 and has presence almost that of Q7, much easier to drive in the Indian context. Mitsubhishi's are for the avid 4 wheel drive enthusiast and if you are the "Road less travelled" type. Also look at the Land Rover. For me the Q5 looks the best bet. I think there's a mismatch of your budget and models, most models you mentioned will be out of 45-55 l budget, I think.

The X5 would have been my best choice for the Urban SUV but its not in your list. The Q7 is the next best and the Cayenne is out of your budget. The new M class is nice too, I suggest you drive each one thorughly before you decide.

Wish I was this thread starter!! :)

My arrow will be pointing towards the Audi Q5 instead of Q7,despite being out of your consideration list, it'll definitely suits you as it has the tailor-made right size for the Indian roads & traffic conditions,a perfectly blended fuel efficient & performance characeter needed here.....

Rest, Montero lacks the presence/brand image & others are out of your budget too,while you can also look at New Land Rover Freelander,priced nearby your mentioned budget