creativebala

Honda Small Car-Brio, unveiled 1 Dec

Ugly. What was our first impression of the Santro? Some shapes just grow on you. I remember even the first Zen - was labelled as a blown (as with a balloon) M800.

sgiitk2010-12-03 03:47:16

If we accepted Xylo, Swift, Indigo and Micra, I am sure we can find space for this 'beauty' in our hearts and eyessmiley2.gif.

I personally like how it looks and I think it will be so well accepted that it might just set the small car market on fire. Go Honda!

Well i agree, it has very old kind of looks, previously many years back, there were many cars whose rear were almost as same as this, flat & sloppy. But overall the car looks good but not spacious enough, lets see if it beats its rivals easily, space wise there is nothing to compare with the cramped Swift, it should have space as good as Etios Liva, Micra & Figo by any means.

The interiors seems simple yet functional & of good quality, the Honey comb grille at the front of the concept was more appealing than this one.

honda-brio-interiors_thumb.jpghonda-brio-rear_thumb.jpg

Just note the difference between its B(at the level of which front seat back is) & C-Pillar' date=' as visible from these pics.

& From these I'm still doubtful about her Rear Seat Size & rear Legroom. 

Rear Headroom & Boot Space also seems to be have compromised due to A-Star like Swooping  extremely low Roofline.

Seems that Honda is going to sell the A-Star sized car at base price of 4.75 lacs !

It seems the Santro's day are numberedsmiley2.gif.  

!!! Can't understand How you're comparing a Swift/Ritz-rival car with segment below Santro..

You've reminded me the Poor brochure by Hyundai, in which they've compared Swift dimensions with their Santro. 

My Santro may be due for a change in about three years. If the AT is there then the Brio will definitely be a front runner. The others (going by the current selection) may be the Etios & the i20. Of course an AT is necessary.

Honda Brio Trial production delayed:

In fact the trial production was supposed to start as soon as 15th January and by April, Honda could have produced some 2,500 cars. Sources tell us that changes in parts and features based on an important consumer survey could have been among the reasons for a slight delay.

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Honda-Brio-green.jpg' target="_blank">

The Brio should make its debut in July-August with series production beginning by mid June. Honda recently showcased the near production ready prototype at the Bangkok Motor show. Being just 3.6 m in length Brio looks to set new benchmarks with intelligent space utilization just like its elder sibling Jazz. Honda engineers have been working hard to squeeze out every iota of space while maintaining compact outer dimensions.

Honda Brio engine

A rev-happy engine as in the case of any Honda will sit under the Brio

Do you have any information as to new design tail gate for Brio - the present design does not look feasible

Not any Confirmed News on it yet but Heard few months back that for India it'll be having Tail-Gate with Seprate Glass & Metal Part, though the latter will be Small-ish like to that of A-Star.

I don't liked its Rear-Tail Gate even, its way Sharp & drops suddenly. It'll probably worsen-up its Rear Headroom or Boot Space part, in & above the Parcel Shelf area.

As per ACI, starting price for Brio shall be 4.35 L - almost same as Polo. Thats an worrying thing-atleast for me. I believe Brio can not compete directly with Polo. Polo is more beautiful and definitely larger in dimension. Infact Polo is a segment above as Brio is more likely to belong to Beat-i10 segment. Hopefully fully loaded top version will be priced well below Polo Highline. VW has placed Polo Highline considerably above Trendline.

Likely positive points of Brio:

1. Brilliant engine. Honda is expected to give the same 1.2L Jazz engine which may be tuned for efficiency. In lighter Brio this engine will give enough performance with good mileage.

2. Space utilization: Honda is a master in optimum space utilization. We know that rear space of Polo and Swift is not generous. Brio may trump both these cars as per ACI report despite being compact.

3. Interior: Interiors are simplistic- no doubt. But if good quality material is provided than it may look lively and better than Etios Liva or Figo.

But with Dewali launch (as initially predicted by ACI) coupled with typical Honda waiting period, will it be too late for Honda?

As per NDTV, only showcase will happen on March and actual launch is expected in June-July'11. Honda India has by the way opened a section for Brio in its website and invite details of person interested in Brio for sending update of Brio.

I think the Indian Auto industry really needs to revamp their definition of the word 'Launch'. It is said that a certain product is ''launched'' in a certain month but the product does not hit the roads for another 2-3 months. Personally, I think its ridiculous.

What they are actually doing is 'showcasing'(as mentioned by itssanguine) the product and announcing that it is available for booking. How can that be considered a launch unless it is readily being sold to the customers. Just my opinion.

Its very much as Ford have done with their Figo, Unveiled it in September 2009 & launching it in Feb-March2010.

May be Honda is planning to Showcase it immediately after Initiating its Trial production. Honda seems to be Intended to collect the funds for its manufacturing by Unveiling/Showcasing it first & then taking its Bookings.
dr_nishu2011-02-28 18:38:22

By launching and having TD vehicles across India' date=' Honda can attract customer and wait for it for a longer duration.
[/quote']

I'm doubtful that Honda will be Introducing its TD models from March onwards.

All in all, It seems to be the Japaneese Bros(Toyota & Honda) joint decision to take onto the Indian hatchback market & to fight with Non-Japaneese manufacturers which are ruling in that segment with their Figos, i20s, Polo & Fabia, Indica Vista.

This move is certainly to avoid  potential customers switching to Liva or N Swift.

By launching and having TD vehicles across India' date=' Honda can attract customer and wait for it for a longer duration.
[/quote']

Brio and Liva are not comparable due to their dimensions and ppl they are going to appeal. Liva is in competition with I-20, punto, polo..i.e.bigger/premium hatch. While brio's dimension are identical to I-10. so it will compete with I-10, wagon-r, Beat, Ritz. So according to me it will not affect the liva much.

All the best to Honda.

Comparison between Liva & Brio:

1. Dimension: Brio: Length 3,610mm x width 1,680mm x height 1,475 mm.

Liva: Length 3775mm x width 1695 x height 1490 mm

2. Engine: Brio: 1.2 L engine from Jazz . However power output needs confirmation as it may be detuned (without VTECH?).

Live: 1.2 L delivering 80HP.

3. Price: Brio 4.5 L onward.

Liva: 4.5 L onward.

On paper Brio is smaller that Liva. But I believe Honda do consider Liva as its competitors. Main reason being price and badge value. Brio will be priced similar to Liva and both have top badge value in India. Also as far as space go, Honda is a master of space utilization (machine minimum & man maximum principle) and Brio could well turned out to be as spacious Swift & Punto.

Further with Etios sedan competing against Dzire & Manza I don't think Liva is distinctly more premium than Brio. Because Liva will have to undercut Etios as far as pricing goes. And Etios is already a competitively priced car with serious cost cutting. Look and interiors of Etios are nothing to write home about and do not match up to standard of VW, Skoda and Hyundai. Be it single wiper, ultra thin seat with fixed head restrain, dashboard plastic quality Etios is build to a price and is a mass market product rather that premium product. We can safely assume that same will be the case with Liva as well since it has to be cheaper than Etios sedan.

Brio too has areas of cost cutting: no conventional dash, seat with fixed seat restrain etc. With Jazz Honda has burned their fingers in India and are playing seriously with Brio. Honda showcased their Brio prototype during launch of Etios in India. Similarly as launch of Liva is getting nearer, Honda is trying to creat some buzz out of Brio by showcasing the car in India on 17th March. When the car will be available to customers only in July-Aug'11 (or may be in Sep-Oct'11 as confirmed earlier) what is the reason of creating so much hoopla. Just to take some steam out of Liva, I guess. IMHO, Honda is serious with Brio and considers Liva as one of the chief competitor.

I don't think Toyota or Honda have that much brand value in India,they have failed in every segment were they have good competition.Etios,Jazz sales figures are example.Even City is under serious threat from Vento.