creativebala

Honda Small Car-Brio, unveiled 1 Dec

Is the AT (CVT, I hear) coming to India. If yes, then I am waiting for it!

See more than a hint of the Civic. Likely to blow the competition off in economy - on the road and not the ARAI figures! Hope they do not have the stupid 3 months/5000km service schedule as in the City (yes, still).

sgiitk2011-04-12 04:05:36

I sincerely hope the base model of the car does not cross the 4.75 or the dreaded 5Lac mark because that would be like signing you death wish. Even though the car is absolutely briilliant and Honda enjoys a strong brand name in India, I am not sure a lot of them would be atracted to a small car priced above 5 lacs.

First impression of the car to me is that it is not at all impressive as far as interiors are concerned. Secondly, the side profile is strikingly familiar to Beat which I believe is a great downer for Honda.

Commenting further on the exterior, I find it not too well balanced in looks. Seems like the R&D at Honda had tried way too hard to produce some not so good looking results.

Nissan Micra has got everything better than this baby Honda -'Brio';

-Signature curvy 'Micra' styling.

-Turbocharged 1.2l 98PS Petrol engine.

-More Spacious & better equipped Interiors with gadgets like Auto AC, Push button Start-Stop system & many more.

-Better build quality & better Boot Space are its another plus points.

& In India Micra is having biggest advantage-The Diesel engine, which has already boosted its sales in India.

So tough time ahead for Brio in both India & Thailand despite of its brand loyality.dr_nishu2011-04-12 11:12:48

Does Micra AT or Brio AT coming to India? When I spoke to sales person (both honda and nissan) they told me that mostly they won't launch AT in India. I am not sure what is hindering them to launch AT in India? In every website that talks about Brio/Micra I can see atleast 2 or 3 comments asking for AT

@visanj: What you fear is likely to be true. The main reason - the 1.2l for lower excise rule. After the Jazz was launched there was talk of a 1.5 with AT. Then Honda backed out. The only people who have gone ahead are Hyundai with the 1.4l i20 AT. How about the Polo AT option (with the bigger engine). Now that quite a few hatches are there with the bigger engines why not a AT. Also, the more powerful diesels should also happily support the AT.

Just read a review of Honda Brio: salient points are as stated below:

1. Priced at par with Nissan March (Micra in India) in Thailand. So we can expect price range of 4.5-5.5 Lakh in India.

2. Due to supply parts constraint, presently Honda has stopped taking booking of Brio.

3.The quality of the Brio's cabin is better compared to March(Micra). Plastics are hard but build quality is good & colour combination is nice.

4.In spite of compact dimensions , the Brio can accomodate four

six-footers in decent comfort- headroom & legroom is good.

5. Brio has limited boot space and the rear seats

don't fold split or flat when you want more space.For practicality, Micra is superior.

6.Feeling from the driver's seat is quite good : airiness and aesthetics are practically on par with Jazz

7.Brio is a better car to drive than the Micra (March).

8. Steering is little too light.

9.Chassis set-up seems well-judged. While the low-speed ride can

occasionally be lumpy over sharp ruts, the taut suspension compensates

with adequate grip at high speeds and in corners. The same goes for the

brakes that have good modulation.

10. All-round visibility is excellent, thanks to low window lines and a glass boot lid (which has no wiper or defogger).

11. Summary: Brio offers effortless and economical performance, plus agile driving manners.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autopreview/234924/breezy-ecocar

Honda has started testing Brio in India. NDTV auto editor Siddharth Patankar has caught Brio undergoing testing with liitle camouflage. Shame, that I am unable to post the picture. But its available in twitter.

the brio looks typical honda,

and after reading somewhere honda may price its top end version at 5.9 lac, or base starting from 5 lakh , i think honda will kill this sweet looking baby like it did with its elder sister jazz, which herself is a hottie

pricing honda , pricing, this is the hatch segment, u got to get it right,

if honda keeps it below 5 lakhs overall , maruti ,hynudai and volkswagen should be warned!

As Liva is scheduled to be launched in June'11, I guess we might see a preview (or whatever the fancy name they chose) of Brio in June-July'11.

Pricing of Brio will prove whether Honda has adopted to the requirement of Indian market. Increase localisation or cut profit margin : whatever Honda does but top of the line (manual) should not be beyond 5.5 Lakh (ex-showroom) at any cost. Otherwise it might prove to be the next Jazz.

Even at 5.5L it might get some flakes for being pricey!

ACI first: Honda Brio review, test drive

AHDY1.jpg

Honda is the largest producer of small capacity petrol engines in the world. It has dominated many a hard-fought segment in India and everyone from bikers to Accord owners has a deep respect for the brand in India. Sure, Honda has the right stuff to make a successful small car for India, absolutely. But just how good is the new Brio? Can it take on Maruti in India at its own game and win?

What

Width of 1680 mm is really good, more than I-10 and equals to Swift, Figo. It seems, Honda is shooting Arrow to all these highest selling cars of the segment. The only thing they have to aim is PRICE of the car. All the best HONDA.

@nishu; Are these India specs? Then the CVT is there as an option.

These are the Specifications of Brio, as stated by ACI by its Test Drive in Thailand.

IMHO, it'll vary l'll bit in India likely in terms of Ground Clearance, detuned Power figures(89PS from 90PS), tyre size.

But as Honda standards, I'm sure they'll definitely offer its CVT-Auto variant here, to take on its segment. 

Whatever said and done, the Brio is a terrific example of the Japanese resilience. The 11/03 earthquake had sent jitters all across the Honda management both in Japan and India.The Indian arm was not sure as to whether it will be able to keep up with the production schedules in the post-launch period. But the committed Japanese have done it and the Brio is coming  on the roads soon.

The design is a bit off the conventional ones. Look at the staid and conservative lines of the Toyota Etios and the hatch variant.Toyota has not taken any risks whereas Honda has!

Owning a Brio will also make a style statement! But the sad part is that the body panels look so chic. Any simple hit or brushing by the rowdy road elements like most of the autos, Tata Aces and many other vehicles in this category will disfigure the lovely Brio and the owner will be poorer by huge amounts (sums which the insurance chaps don't pay).

... that the body panels look so chic. Any simple hit or brushing by the rowdy road elements like most of the autos' date=' Tata Aces and many other vehicles in this category will disfigure the lovely Brio and the owner will be poorer by huge amounts (sums which the insurance chaps don't pay).
[/quote']

I agree.But my main concern is the rear hatch which is entriely made of glass and the rear bumper is almost seamless with glass hatch so any shunt will,lead to replacement of entire glass not just bumper - which will lead to costly repairs as glass is to be replaced.

Secondly the car does not feature a  rear wiper or rear defogger on any trims - this is another concern area for people living in wet and snowy area where it is a must.