Durango Dude

Burnt to death....

A few months ago there were 2 accidents in Tamilnadu, where a car got caught in between 2 lorries and the occupants were charred to death as the car caught fire. No amount of crash testing can prepare us to the death traps that our roads have become. Once a taxi driver confessed to me that it's better to avoid travel at night because the Omni buses use multiple headlights and halogens and car drivers don't have a clue as to where they are going. And the night can play tricks on one's vision, and our ill lit roads and over lit buses and trucks can make life hell on the highway.

A few months ago there were 2 accidents in Tamilnadu' date=' where a car got caught in between 2 lorries and the occupants were charred to death as the car caught fire. No amount of crash testing can prepare us to the death traps that our roads have become. Once a taxi driver confessed to me that it's better to avoid travel at night because the Omni buses use multiple headlights and halogens and car drivers don't have a clue as to where they are going. And the night can play tricks on one's vision, and our ill lit roads and over lit buses and trucks can make life hell on the highway.[/quote']

Indeed Durango dude there must also be some rules that the Truck and lorry drivers should Dim thier Light it really make dificult to drive at night and these illiterate drivers just put full high beam  light and go very rash!

Regards,

Priya

the problem with high beam are not confined to illetrate lorry drivers, but educated and arrogant drivers as well. Unless the drivers (every single one!!!) learn the right attitude to driving and shed the view of "Our Safety comes first", "damn the other fellow", nothing is going to change.

it has to be communicated to all sections of the society through advt (like how Govt used to air messages regarding clealiness and other stuff) and for the "educated" drivers, magazines have the duty to convey the right attitude to the drivers.

The problem also lies with the Govt not setting a mandatory design parameter for the Commercial vehicles.

It should be made mandatory for all commercial vehicles to have their headlights at the lowest level. It was a norm which I though would catch up with the Volvo's FH12 truck when it got introdued in India, and it surely did to an extend. Even the Handsome Ashok Leylands NewGen series of trucks have integrated that well thought out design element into their trucks.

But see the cost of not having guidelines from the Govt. Even the new series of Volvo trucks have shed their low-level headlights and the position have gone upto to where the current Tata buses have their headlights fitted.

Govt is there to BLAME. The stupids that sit in the chair is to Blame for not having any decent capacity to think for the general public or the needs of the public.

A few months ago there were 2 accidents in Tamilnadu' date=' where a car got caught in between 2 lorries and the occupants were charred to death as the car caught fire. No amount of crash testing can prepare us to the death traps that our roads have become. Once a taxi driver confessed to me that it's better to avoid travel at night because the Omni buses use multiple headlights and halogens and car drivers don't have a clue as to where they are going. And the night can play tricks on one's vision, and our ill lit roads and over lit buses and trucks can make life hell on the highway.[/quote']

and on top of all this we have all the friendly buffaloes and dogs roaming around on highways once in a while just to give us a few nightmares. high beams make these even more hard to notice

Just why to make only the HCV or even the LCV guys to stand in the well?.....the other creatures that ply on the Indian roads are the Autorikshaws.

In there comes the complete lack of sense from those who gave clearance to the Italian APE. More unfortunate is that none of the Auto magazines have ever (at least I have not seen!!!) pulled up this issue with the APE.

The issue I am talking about is that, the APE have got its cargo bay protruding 15-25 cm on either side. Since the auto wallas are mostly careless and when driving they see just the front end of their auto's body, they manuvre with that physical dimension in their mind.

The drivers using the APE simply forgets the fact that, their machine takes another 15-25cm on either side and they will only know its presence when their auto have already taken off the front end or the headlamp of any car coming in the opposite direction. This is a serious issue on narrrow lane or in busy traffic.

I have experience it many times, where I though the chap wud surely take off with my side fender and the headlamp assembly, but luckily i have always managed to find some place to make way for these busy APE's.

Just why to make only the HCV or even the LCV guys to stand in the well?.....the other creatures that ply on the Indian roads are the Autorikshaws.
The drivers using the APE simply forgets the fact that' date=' their machine takes another 15-25cm on either side and they will only know its presence when their auto have already taken off the front end or the headlamp of any car coming in the opposite direction. This is a serious issue on narrrow lane or in busy traffic.

[/quote']

i've experienced this too and it's a big problem. even the 7-seater auto's here (in hyderabad) are the same thing and are wide and the driver doesnt look around for other cars on the side and it scrapes off the whole side part of the car before you realize it

and on top of all this we have all the friendly buffaloes and dogs roaming around on highways once in a while just to give us a few nightmares. high beams make these even more hard to notice

Its true that spotting animals and even 2-wheelers make it very difficult. But we need to think from their side as well. Because mostly (i put my case) the drivers use high beam to see a good distance upfront, but at the same time they should be sensitive to others problem as well. What i do in that kinda situation is that I either drop it till the other vehicle have passed.

I use high beams often and I do recommend using it. It becomes a bare necessity once u cross the 30-40Km mark as the low beam won't keep pace with the speed with which the situation changes on road. But the moment you sense any opposite vehicle having problem with ur high beam, show the maturity and the quality of a Good driver to drop the beam atleast till he have crossed you.

I use high beams often and I do recommend using it. It becomes a bare necessity once u cross the 30-40Km mark as the low beam won't keep pace with the speed with which the situation changes on road. But the moment you sense any opposite vehicle having problem with ur high beam' date=' show the maturity and the quality of a Good driver to drop the beam atleast till he have crossed you.

[/quote']

high-beams are necessary but, as u mentioned earlier, people should be aware of the other driver's safety and they should be sensible enough to lower their beam atleast when a vehicle is a little close

I dont think these friendly animals animals create so much prob  as those silly people and also at night most of the animals will have already gone in somewhere and most of them wont be in the Roads at midngiht!

Regards,

Priya

i feel that, we can manage the bright beam, if those lorrys use legaly permitted wattage bulbs. but almost all those lorrys use higher rated bulbs.

so, inorder to live in that situation, recently i have upgraded the bulbs on my car to 100W...smiley15.gif (i will even consider 130 W bulbs, if the 100 W wont do the job) i wll always dim the beam though...

i feel that' date=' we can manage the bright beam, if those lorrys use legaly permitted wattage bulbs. but almost all those lorrys use higher rated bulbs.
so, inorder to live in that situation, recently i have upgraded the bulbs on my car to 100W...smiley15.gif (i will even consider 130 W bulbs, if the 100 W wont do the job) i wll always dim the beam though... [/quote']

130 w philips halogens are better but can anyone tell me what is the w of halogen in swift ??

its very troublessome to drive along when lorry drivers put on thier high beam light maybe govt should take some action regarding this,

Cheerssmiley20.gif

Painting the headlights is useless esp. with asymmetric patterns, clear glasses with complex reflectors etc. You will only create dark spots in the pattern and have not effect on the glare. How would you paint the projector lamps?

Painting beams also violates the 1989 Road Traffic Act since it amounts to interfering with a critical (safety) system of  the vehicle (incidentally, the earlier act mandated painted headlights for all vehicles). A couple of years ago TOI Lucknow had written on this theme, when a quick mail pointing out the folly nipped all discussion in the bud. 

Why blame only the Lorry Drivers... I have seen while driving in bangalore that rich educated drivers in the fancys cars also never dim lights.

I even saw a guy with his family in a Civic taking a U turn over a low divider because he was too lazy to go a few 100 meters further to turn. Why blame the auto drivers and lorrywallas when most of the eductated people also dont care about following rules

Why blame only the Lorry Drivers... I have seen while driving in bangalore that rich educated drivers in the fancys cars also never dim lights.

I even saw a guy with his family in a Civic taking a U turn over a low divider because he was too lazy to go a few 100 meters further to turn. Why blame the auto drivers and lorrywallas when most of the eductated people also dont care about following rules

Yes dude you are right but the high beam lights always a big trouble and also the laziness of people could lead to accidents too!!!!

Well its a good thing that i have inculteted the habit of dimming every time i see a bike or any othee vehicle in the Highway!

Cheerssmiley20.gif

ya.. thats a good habit.. i do that too... it's really inconvinient for bikers because their lights dont provide enough visibility and on top of that a car coming in the opposite direction with high-beam on is really dangerous. 

i feel that' date=' we can manage the bright beam, if those lorrys use legaly permitted wattage bulbs. but almost all those lorrys use higher rated bulbs. so, inorder to live in that situation, recently i have upgraded the bulbs on my car to 100W...smiley15.gif (i will even consider 130 W bulbs, if the 100 W wont do the job) i wll always dim the beam though... [/quote']

?

130 w philips halogens are better but can anyone tell me what is the w of halogen in swift ??

?

its very troublessome to drive along when lorry drivers put on thier high beam light maybe govt should take some action regarding this,

?

Cheerssmiley20.gif

swifts come with 60/55 w halogens. more than that will be against the law. (though we use to upgrade it) smiley15.gifcarispassion2007-11-15 19:02:58

Firstly, one should totally avoid night driving on the highways unless its very urgent. If the journey is too long, day driving with night halts after 7.00pm are a must. Never should one drive for the whole night (night to dawn) even if there is a co-driver.The most fatal accidents occur with oncoming  or parked trucks under breakdown  at night. Some of them are drunk,dippers are seldom used and they feel that they are the highway bosses. Our lives are precious and so we must take all care.

Firstly' date=' one should totally avoid night driving on the highways unless its very urgent. If the journey is too long, day driving with night halts after 7.00pm are a must. Never should one drive for the whole night (night to dawn) even if there is a co-driver.The most fatal accidents occur with oncoming  or parked trucks under breakdown  at night. Some of them are drunk,dippers are seldom used and they feel that they are the highway bosses. Our lives are precious and so we must take all care. [/quote']

What the hell dude , does that mean all should not go for Night highway Driving until and unless there is soo emergency , well instead of that Why can the Lorries and trucks have any other alternative like something fitted for thier light soo they cnat make a high beam,

Cheerssmiley20.gif

mdvishnu thats ok they may amend traffic rules, but what about the recklessness and the monster like approach for oncoming traffic that trucks pose to little cars and two wheelers. Even a 1.5 ton SUV can be made into a squash and shattered by the slight hit from a truck which weighs 7.5 tonnes with illegal payload making it weigh 11 tonnes! I have travelled a lot on such highways, but only lately have become canny and  careful about these monsters. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 is stringent and has been amended so many times to make it more punitive. But the accidents are increasing. About six years back , my acquaintance (Mr Siddhanta) who bought a new Zen was going to Tirupati by road with his family. The car  was  in Chittoor dist A.P.  and dashed  against a stationery truck, under breakdown, parked without the backlights on. It was  1.00 am. The new car crashed and all the family members died. He was a businessman and thought he will save time by driving at night.

Ya one must never drive for a long time at night especially if you are not used to night driving.Its always better to travel on highways during day time. Since most truckers prefer driving at night.

I have personally formed the habit that i drive on low beam by default especially within city only if it is really needed i use the high beam

Having driven 8000km in a month last year all over from North to south and back, I fully concur, night driving in India is putting life at risk, not only lorry drivers, its irresponsible cyclists, villagers, roads that turn from two way to one way without notice. Then we have truck drivers facing atrocious conditions on drugs and with poor lights. Its a scary cocktail, only I know how we survived.

Having driven 8000km in a month last year all over from North to south and back' date=' I fully concur, night driving in India is putting life at risk, not only lorry drivers, its irresponsible cyclists, villagers, roads that turn from two way to one way without notice. Then we have truck drivers facing atrocious conditions on drugs and with poor lights. Its a scary cocktail, only I know how we survived.[/quote']

I agree with you , but what steps can the govt take to avoid these??

Regards,

Priya