Durango Dude

Burnt to death....

I think 4/6 laning of roads is one of the best things to do. That reduces the chances of accidents. This was aptly described in the Golden qudrilateral article in the October issue. We need most of our highways to be upgraded.

I think 4/6 laning of roads is one of the best things to do. That reduces the chances of accidents. This was aptly described in the Golden qudrilateral article in the October issue. We need most of our highways to be upgraded.

and along with that, the existing highways should be repaired.... they're getting worse day by day in some places

and along with that' date=' the existing highways should be repaired.... they're getting worse day by day in some places
[/quote']

Yea i agree but the Govt take a Lot of Raod Tax and all stuffs of tax hardly 25% they use it on for Road construction or a repair , for example ur own karnatakan road are really pathetic to drive on the Highways are in such a bad condition . imagine the roads gettiing shaved of within an year ,

Regards,

Priya

Yup there is so much of corruption that only 5-10% of money alloted for roads actually end up being utilized for roads. But the GQ construction has proved that if the govt wants they can do it. The GQ is such an international quality road (apart from the villagers and dogs and cows wandering around) and there is heavy toll collected which is directly used for maintenence... Like between Bangalore and Chennai itself there are 6 toll gates and u need to pay around 150 in total one way.

Why blame only the Lorry Drivers... I have seen while driving in bangalore that rich educated drivers in the fancys cars also never dim lights.

I even saw a guy with his family in a Civic taking a U turn over a low divider because he was too lazy to go a few 100 meters further to turn. Why blame the auto drivers and lorrywallas when most of the eductated people also dont care about following rules

Yes, very true. At least the mistakes on part of the lorry drivers can be attributed to them being illiterate. But no excuse what so ever can be given to those "educated" stupid arrogants who drive reckless.

Ya one must never drive for a long time at night especially if you are not used to night driving.Its always better to travel on highways during day time. Since most truckers prefer driving at night.

I have personally formed the habit that i drive on low beam by default especially within city only if it is really needed i use the high beam

I do agree, but driving at night at times feels relaxing and more economical. I say it because, the day's heat wont be there (which does affects driving), traffic will be a bit less and the a/c can work a bit relaxed telling it on the overall mileage. I do drive and go for long drives starting mostly in the evening (after 4 or 4.30pm) so that i can get to destination by 11-12.00, with maybe a single halt for refreshment. I have felt it ok (but exceptions are there) when driving.

Indeed what I love most is driving in the night in rains. Its an experience that I have loved..! It gives me a feeling of utlizing every bit of the Car.....hehehe. But more than that, It also gives me sort of confidence in my driving. I can't tell what kicks inside me, but I love it, driving with lights and wipers on!

ya.. thats a good habit.. i do that too... it's really inconvinient for bikers because their lights dont provide enough visibility and on top of that a car coming in the opposite direction with high-beam on is really dangerous. 

Its really a Good habit.Keep it up and pass it on to every single driver you know. smiley20.gif

but the problem (even for 2-wheelers) happens, when the Street lights are not working or the road is not properly illuminated and to increase the problem some stupids come in high beam.

even in the 4-6 lanes, if the road is not properly illuminated we won't be able to see any animal or person crossing the road if bright lights are coming from opposite direction. So proper illumination of the Highways are a must and the first things to do (from administrators side) to avoid any accident. In the case of lonely highways, that doesn't happen usually because out headlamps might be the only ones illuminating and will be able to pick up anyone crossing/intending to from atleast 25meters, if we are on high beam.

even in the 4-6 lanes' date=' if the road is not properly illuminated we won't be able to see any animal or person crossing the road if bright lights are coming from opposite direction. So proper illumination of the Highways are a must and the first things to do (from administrators side) to avoid any accident. In the case of lonely highways, that doesn't happen usually because out headlamps might be the only ones illuminating and will be able to pick up anyone crossing/intending to from atleast 25meters, if we are on high beam.

[/quote']

i agree. but still, it's a good start. the divider and the 4-6 lane highways reduce the effect of oncoming vehicles head-lights and improper over-taking. so, that's half the problem solved.hope the govt. spends a little more of the road taxes on improving roads and street-lights too

Are our lawmakers not going round in circles. You ask the developer to come up with a four lane expressway (or rather a dual carriageway, which is what it is). Now all of a sudden you come up with the idea of a parallel limited access expressway (real thing) on the same route. What happens to the original lessee, who bid something on the basis of a traffic projections for 30 years or whatever. Do you expect to be able to sustain this breach of trust  indefinitely.

Also, the basic philosophy of upgrading a non-toll highway to a toll highway leaving no alternative route itself is wrong. All over the world this is never done. So may be we should get the current lessees to develop parallel one/two lane non-toll roads, and upgrade the so called expressways to true expressways.

I know I will be unpopular on this forum for brining this up, but just give it a thought.

The politicians should be forced to travel on these roads and then they may take serious decision for the repair, its becuase of these Heli;s that got them lazy and they are ignoring the quality and the repair of the raods.

Regards,

Priya

Its the blame game again.  We always tend to blame the government for our problems.  Its true that the government has done hardly anything to improve road safety in India.  Or is there actually a thing as "road safety" in India?

These problems are mainly due to a laid-back system, which is reflected on each and every one of us.  Most people would just shrug off the issue of safety as - "why bother?"  Road safety is achieved when the two sides of a coin are equally shining: safe drivers and safe roads. 

Safe driving comes from good training and getting used to a safety culture.  I have two driving licenses, one Indian and one British.  Procuring the Indian license was as easy as walking into one of our markets and buying aloo.   I went to an instructor for getting my UK license.  I thought I'd just get a "hang of" the UK system and get away with one or two lessons.  I had been driving for about 7 years by then in India and was pretty confident about my driving.  I thought of myself as a very safe driver with excellent car control. 

During my first drive with the instructor, I noticed that he was busy writing something on a piece of paper.  His weekend shopping list, I mused.  After a while he asked me to stop and started reading out the big list.  It was a list of mistakes or problems in my driving!  There were things like not checking the mirrors effectively, not cancelling the indicator on time (what??) and jerky braking among so many other.  I was appalled by these findings and was nonetheless very disappointed. 

Then I took more lessons and I had to completely alter my style of driving to the UK style.  I thought it was crazy at first, but slowly the safety culture started to show up in me.   Out there every manoeuvre (what's that??)  is practised as a step by step procedure.   Driving becomes something as systematic as flying an airplane.  All the safety checks are practised so much that they become a habit, a safety culture, rather than learning something just for the sake of a driving test.  The high standards of safety awareness is evident on UK roads, which have the most disciplined of drivers in the world.  Of course there are a number of lunatics who break the rules, but their no. is as little as the no. of safe drivers in India. 

That was just one side of a coin.  The other side is having a well organised system of roads, which are properly marked and monitored closely by the police.  Having expressways and divided dual carriageways go a long way in improving safety.  I have noticed while driving on our expressways that no one does lane straddling among lanes.  They are well aware of speeding vehicles and always indicate while changing lanes.  I'm sure no driving school in India has taught them this and this is just a positive outcome of having a good system. 

Trucks can easily be fitted with auto-dippers that can be made mandatory.  But given the culture in India, truckers can easily bypass them as they do with the speed-locks already.  It should be in everyone's own interest to dip lights at night as that's the best way to see the road when two vehicles approach at night. 

Finally its down to you and me, to make our roads a safer place to drive.  A lot can be improved even in our present conditions by having a more positive attitude, a little consideration and a bit of humanity. 

Jitz

After having driven 9000km in a month last year from Himachal to Kanyakumari and back, I came to one conclusion.........there are no highways in India, tolls notwithstanding, how can you have one if the so called highway is going through one's backyard or ones house.

As for night driving, only the heavens can help you. Lack of signs, wrong side driving common, poor lighting etc. just makes it a nightmare. Bad roads, unmarked speed breakers, villagers driving on wrong side ready to lynch you at the slightest touch, openings on so called high toll roads to allow villagers to cross over and they do with impunity without looking left or right. Tractors ply the road as if they are on the field. Even the so called fancy high toll Mumbai Pune and Vadodra was a joke, entrance and exit to tunnels were not lighted properly making the adjustment of your iris a nightmare. There were buses plying and slowing down traffic, I saw holes in the fences made by villagers and occasionally saw humans and cattle. Of course, ultimate was the pull overs by vehicle owners themselves without any warning. Thane was a nightmare, roads had turned to Beirut after the bombing, even the mighty Gurkha was getting daunted at some of the potholes, thank heavens for 242mm clearance and diff locks, was able to pull out of some severe ones which had crippled big trucks. Then on top of that the system has the audacity to charge tolls and not even provide with a non tolled alternate. Highway robbery at its very best.

Gurkha. Cannot agree with you more.

Also, add the atrocious habit sticking to the right most lane making overtaking a nightmare. Incidentally, in UP there is a high court judgment from over a decade ago banning the construction of speed breakers on the highways, but who cares!.

Now an additional hazard : every agitation, morcha, and whatever blocking and wrecking carnage on the 'so called' golden quadrilateral.

My first experience of Indian expressways was on the Dewas-Indore highway. Entering Indore we missed the turnoff (no markings) and my brother-in-law sitting next to me advised me that there was an exit a couple of km further down. To my shock I came to the break in the road (i.e., you turn into the fast lane on the other side), which I duly took with trepidation. I commented that now we only need cattle on the road to complete the farce. Sure enough a km or so down the road there were two buffaloes relaxing on the highway. On the way back approaching Dewas I saw umpteen people enjoying their morning cuppa and/or smoke on the road, .

Simply upgrading regular highways to toll roads without leaving an

alternate is definitely daylight robbery.  Also, it forces all local

traffic to use it, since they are left with no options.

Do'nt you agree that first granting leases for 30 years and

then proposing alternate limited access highways on the same route will

not discourage the development of highways in the long term?

Do'nt you agree that first granting leases for 30 years and

then proposing alternate limited access highways on the same route will

not discourage the development of highways in the long term?

Fully agree, best way for checks and bounds.

This time I went to Lonavala I wanted to use the NH2 on my way back to Mumbai.  The road was in fact a maze that would invariably land you back on the expressway.  At one place they had made sort of a barricade with mud which effectively blocked the NH2 and forced you to join the expressway. 

I wonder what's going on and what are the motives.  We didn't have a lot of differences between our thugs and politicians anyway. 

Jitz