au13tomobile

bike to choose in 150 cc

Hi all,

I am planning to purchase a new 150 cc bike.

my height is 5.11 and age is 30 years.

background:
--------------
Till now I driven only kinetic(gearless) scooter. long time back Bajaj Chetak. But never drove a bike(geared).smiley9.gif
I shortlisted the following bikes.
(a)Suzuki 150 ccc gs150 r
new bike with good neat features,comfort riding,good looks and milage oriented performance.(but donot have the longterm data,since it is launched one year back)

(B)Honda Uniorn.
undoubtedly synonimus for quality...in terms of performance,milage,looks(somewhat) and trustworhty from 5 to 6 years by its track record.(but it is common these days)

querys:
-------

1)please help me in chosing the best between two gems in keeping view your first hand expirience on the two bikes.

2)pleae let me know the practical milage of the two in city and on the highway.
and its on road price in hyderabad.

3)will the feul tank of gs150 r creats any trouble when brakes are applied suddenly(will it hurt the groin region,with sudden brake applicaton)?

4)willl the suzuki bikes are trustworthy visavi with honda unicorn(long term consistence performance)?

5)can I learn to drive a geared bike directly on these 150 cc bike or should i need to learn it initially on 100 cc and than ride on 150cc.

I sincerely appreciate your valuable and authentic suggestions in purchasing superior among the two superbs.smiley32.gifsmiley1.gif
Thanks,
Bike aspirer.

Post edited

Note from mod: Smiley usage is restricted
BornFree2010-01-23 18:00:00

Honda Unicorn is a good bike & blends well with your Choices listed above,

but considering its Market Presence, its almost invisible now....

So, If you buy it, you'll definitely loose on its Spare parts availability & Resale value front for sure....

So it would be better if you go for the Suzuki GS150R, it'll be nearly/equally good......

Rest your feelings about driving the Bike are Just the Anticipations & they'll vanish quickly as you drive the bike for a Once..smiley1.gif

dr_nishu2010-01-23 20:56:19

My suggestion between these 2 is Unicorn, mainlly because its proven, and you can get spares easily, also better resale. If possible, wait for the refreshed one Unicorn Sport, that we saw in AE'10.

OT, since you are going to drive a geared bike for first time, why a 150cc?

Both the bikes you said are really heavy even though they are refined.

So why can't look at sub 150 segment?

You will have Stunner/ Yamaha SZ(soon)/Flame/ Pulsar LS. These will be slightly powerless than 150cc, but will deliver better FE.

Stunner is proven & better FE and its a Honda.

I think it will be an easy Job to select your favorite bike since you have already shortlisted Unicorn and GS150.  I will suggest you to take a test drive of both and make a decision. Do not just go an take a bike before test-driving both.

Both of the bikes are well matched in terms of Comfort and driving dynamics. They are very good  for long trips due to wider and comfortable seats. Both of the bikes are mainly meant for easy commuting than out-right performance.

I do not think you will feel much difficulty in adjusting with a 150cc bike. You may need to get used to the manual gears, and it will not take more a week's time.

I think GS150 will be a better bike since it is comparatively newer. The fit and finish and even the quality levels are slightly better than Unicorn.

The After Sales Service of Suzuki is better than Honda in most of the cases. I am an owner of a Honda bike and have tried service centers in 3 different cities; and was never happy with the experience. We might sometimes get annoyed by the way they handle customers. Many of my friends also have shared similar experiences.

carispassion2010-01-24 04:51:11

Yamaha will be launching the 150cc SZ bike soon and its said to be the cheapest 150cc bike price wise.

From the 2 i would say Suzuki 150Gs is better since its new and also based on a good sport bike but Suzuki India's sales and service arent that good so see if you get good response while visiting there else opt for Honda Unicron.

http://bikencar.com/2010/01/yamaha-sz-150cc-bike-to-be-launched-in-february/

@au13tomobile

The above link should give you an idea regarding yamaha sz 150cc. The other bike FZ/FZs and fazer are also good in terms of ride and handling. If you are tight on the pocket then you may wait a month more for the SZ. The honda Unicorn is a very good bike indeed with the best engine in 150cc range. Its proven and tested.

Suzuki GS150r is good on features but AfterSalesService is not that good. Not many of this bike on roads due to its poor service. So i will vote against it.

If road presence and something uncommon yet stylish is in your mind then FZ/Fazer makes sense.

Since you are unaccustomed with gears a new TVS Jive 110cc clutchless bike is also recommended. But that depends on whether you will buy it for city commuting or traveling as well.

You can go in for a 150cc directly. I believe its never too late to learn.

Whether you will hit the fuel tank while braking depends on your driving style  position and braking. 85% rear brake and 15% front brake will solve this problem. A little practice will fix it.

GS150R is a better choice as it is only 1000 rs more than unciron with more power and equal features. Why dont you test drive the Pulsar 135 ls. It is as fast as most 150 cc. It seems to have more features and also has better handling and FE than other bike in its segment

HI all,

I thank you all for your warmth and guidence for choosing from the two

bikes.

1)To get a unicorn i have to wait for 45 DAYS

AS PER Honda dealers in Hyderabad.

2)I do not see many SUZUKI GS150 R bikes on Hyderabad

road.does it mean that the bike is a flop show or success

story?(actually i am more inclined to Suzuki gs 150 r,but what to know

is it a success story.And furthurmore the after sales spare parts

availability is also poor in case of suzuki.

Any suzuki owners please through light on the

truth in it

3)Any idea about when the Yamaha sz is on the road? and specs and info?

i ahve found one link,but it is not complete(Yamaha SZ 150cc To Launch In February! | bikeNcar)

4)What is the seconds sale value of Honda and

Suzuki products?i heared that the seconds sale of honda is

good but donot know about suzuki.

Thanks,

bike Aspirer.

@au13tomobile

1. Suzuki GS 150r may be a bit powerful and feature rich but poor ASS makes it a low ranker. Obviously low sales does not mean a success story.

2. No particular date has yet been announced for the launch. But February as per the news.

3. Unicorn would be much more in resale value than Suzuki GS150R and Honda service is better than Suzuki.

4. If budget is not tight take a look at Yamaha FZ, Fazer, HeroHonda CBZ xtreme and Pulsar150 also(though i am not a Pulsar fan) only if you like these personally. These are also good 150cc bikes.

Hi Sb-alto,

I appreciate you for providing some more chocie in 150 cc.

1)Pulsar: i liked the bike,but if we take in to consideration the longterm consistence performance(generally the perception is that bajaj products are for at max two years).Is this a myth or servicing at regular time will extend the job for 5 years.

Please through light on this to make the air clear.

2)FZ: the bike is more youth oriented for college goers and furthermore it does not suit in terms of design and family bike(pillion rider seat seems not ok).

we can consider sz for that matter but will have to wait til march for bookings and further 15 days for delivery.

3)Hero Honda CBZ extreme or hunk:some i didn't like the bikes.but do not have the performance knowledge about the bikes.

Thanks,

Bike Aspirer.

If looks are not important to you, and don't care about Resale, you can also alternately look at HH Achiever( Same engine as Unicorn)

Regarding CBZ, its a slightly tweeked Unicorn engine, so it will almost equally good as Unicorn. Where Unicorn is undisputed is its Suspension

@au13tomobile

Firstly pulsars are too common sight. This bike around all variants have familiar looks(except 135ls). Ride and handling is not the best. Whether you can maintain the bike for 2 years or 5 years depends on your care and usage. But body rattles and vibrations do develop after some years.

From your previous post it seems you are looking at commuting bike rather than sports. So why not consider 125 and 135cc bikes as well. Still if you wish to stick to 150cc bike then Unicorn CBZ and Hunk are the best bets in terms of FE service and quality(since you do not like FZ/Fazer)

***EDIT***

Did not mention about TVS Apache RTR160Fi because parts are costly and tires are not good.

sb-alto2010-01-26 05:24:11

Did not mention about TVS Apache RTR160Fi because parts are costly and tires are not good.

Totally disagree here sb

Apache, with its tyre & petal disc set up, inspired tons of confidence while braking. I would say, its best in handling department after R15, this shows the tyres are good.

Regarding spare cost, its cheaper than Hondas, may be costlier than Bajaj. Nothing to worry here.

@CB:

As far as i knew the tires lack grip and not good. 180Efi with two disc brakes is good but i read in many reviews about that bad tires. But things might have changed. Lets see what others say about this. Even ACI reported that Apaches had bad tires.