sujith3120

1.3 MJD-has suzuki derived the best performance?

My question is only on outright performance. Which car out of--Swift, Ritz, Punto, Palio & vista is the quickest in terms of pure performance, i.e, 0-60 or 0-100? Almost all auto magazines list the performance levels of the ritz and the swift as the same. Is this true?

Also, the general perception is that the gear box of the suzukis are far better than the others. Does this eventually help in 0-60, 0-100 figures?

I know for sure that the vista is not as quick as the others as it is heavier.

And does it mean that since the swift and the ritz are the 'lightest', hence the performance?

Swift is the Quickest of the lot amongst the you mentioned, even than its cousin Ritz as it benefits over the others due to:

-Lighter Kerb Weight(than all its rivals).

-Better Aerodynamics(than Ritz,Indica Vista,might be others here too).

-Rally based- lighter,tougher & better designed Bodyshell & stiffer Suspension(than all its rivals).

-Taller Gearing(than Fiats).

Ritz loses infront of the Swift only due to its remapped ECU for BS-IV emission norms, due to which it has slightly more pronounced Turbo-Lag.

Also' date=' the general perception is that the gear box of the suzukis are far better than the others. Does this eventually help in 0-60, 0-100 figures?
[/quote']

Better in what sense/theme you are askin here ??

But Suzuki's usually employ Taller Gear Ratios in their Cars for the sake of better Fuel efficiency,

Actually it also help their cars in acheiving the needed/desired speeds mark quickly & with lesser Gear changes on straight runs.

As far as I know, the main difference between Fiat Multi-jet and Maruti DDIS is the ECU, apart from the gear box.

Fiat Multi-Jests and Tata Quadrajets come with "Magneti Marelli" ECUs, whereas Maruti DDIS comes with BOSCH Ecu.

Magneti Marelli is partly owned by Fiat. We all know that Bosch is the unmistakable leader in Diesel Engine Technlogy. The algorithm what Bosch uses in their ECU is what making the difference.

Though the General Construction and many Mechanical components are the same in Fiat and Maruti Engines, the Engine Mapping is entirely different. Maruti has spent a lot of time in fine tuning the Engine; and the effort has well payed-off!! smiley32.gif

Hence I feel that, there is good reason to consider Fiat Multi-jet and Maruti DDIS as entirely different Engines!

On the lighter side, Maruti is like a Step Father to the Multi-jet engine. And Maruti has done what even the Original father(Fiat) could not do! smiley36.gif

carispassion2010-01-24 04:19:27

Oh!

Creativebala, I felt it to be the other way round. I have driven both the cars back-to-back.

The turbo charger will kick-in at around 1800rpm in DDIS. However, it will happen only at 2000-2200rpm for Multi-Jet.

However, the Multi-Jets come with shorter gear ratios, which helps matters somewhat. Even then the DDIS felt to be slightly more drivable.

@dr nishu, yes I was talking about the taller gearing.

@creative bala--I have driven the dzire ddis at 165kmph on many occasions and felt it was stable enough. May be the punto is better as it is heavier.

Since it is a FIAT engine and Maruti has bought the technology 'cold turkey' so now the two go their own ways. I suspect that FIAT may be more innovative and MS may fall behind. But then with VW there I will not be surprised if MS uses VW Diesels in the not too distant future.