Anand Sivaraj

Chevy Aveo: CNG variant launched

Yesterday i visited to Chevrolet showroom looking for Chevy Beat but

find it not so comfortable, and then asked for Aveo price and discounts,

nearly 50K discount is offered, But the guy told me that only 4 colors

are available ie., White, Black, Red, Savanna Green. and told the that

the Cashmere and silver colors are discontinued. Why the best selling colors are discontinued. Does this mean that they are just clearing

the Stock.Is Aveo Production Stopped?

Although no such confirmed reports are available anywhere and Aveo still continues to be listed on the Chevy website, it is quite possible that it might be heading in that direction.

Reason being the abysmal sales no.s the car has been pulling and maybe the engines do not meet the Euro 4 norms. Also, an updated version of the Aveo is to be launched this year sometime(ACI Mag, Nov or Dec issue).

Nope.Production not stopped.It will continue to sell for a quite some time to come.I believe the production is low owing to the demand of the Cruze.They are ramping up the production olf Cruze.

Aveo Sedan was showcased in the auto expo with a LPG variant remember? So i dont think Chevy will phase out or stop production of this car just now. May be new colour options will come up with some add on, as done by ford with its ikon.

Aveo Sedan was showcased in the auto expo with a LPG variant remember? So i dont think Chevy will phase out or stop production of this car just now. May be new colour options will come up with some add on' date=' as done by ford with its ikon.

[/quote']

CNG not LPG.

Yes the next gen aveo still has about 2 years to go.

Chevrolet Aveo CNG Launched Today In India

chevrolet-aveo-cng.jpgGM India launches the new variant of its

existing sedan Aveo CNG for the Indian market. The new variant from GM

will run on specific cities that run on CNG fuel in India. The new Aveo CNG was showcased at the 2010 Delhi Auto Expo.

Chevrolet Aveo CNG is geared with 1.4-litre VGIS (Variable Geometry

Intake System) petrol engine that generates 94ps of power and 127Nm of

torque that will not create any damage to the engine while running on

the CNG mode that has fitted with the hardest valve sets and anodized

pistons.

Chevrolet Aveo CNG gets a list of features and parts that are fitted

directly from the factory including the next-gen computer-controlled CNG

injection technology from Italy. In an industry first all

Usually CNG/LPG variants came out to be the last tools for the Auto manufacturers to make their products Sell here.

Still Remember the Mitsubishi Cedia.

May be new colour options will come up with some add on' date=' as done by ford with its ikon. [/quote']

Agreed dude..

But let me add some more, Ikon was too Old & Dated car when it was Re-launched few months back with 1.4 TDCi Common-rail engine.

Considering the facts that Aveo sedan,

-It still looks very Good & Fresh(may be because it hasn't sold too much).

-Good Highway Stability, Dynamics(if not the best) & Suspension.

-Good Interiors.

-Chevy 3-year Service Promise.

-___________________(Anyone who remember some more, please fill here).

Rather than to Introducing CNG/LPG variants or to Phase it out.

One of the best Solution of this is- Introduce/Re-launch it with Global Winner & India's hot favourite GM-Fiat's 1.3l Multijet Diesel engine.

IMO, it'll definitely work here for Atleast Coming 5-years, even without the Face-lift.

@drnishu

Multijet does not turn a cars fortune. Prime examples are Punto, Linea, Vista and Manza. All have MJDs but none have even come close to beating the segment toppers. The whole Indigo family could not beat Dzire while Indica+Vista is barely able to compete against Swift. Linea and Punto have vanished in 3 digits.

Also working on an old model will be a step backwards. They are in the process of creating a new image in India with Cruze and Beat and are planning to launch the next gen Aveo, most probably under a new name. Giving MJD to the old car will be  a useless waste of time and money on a rotten potato.

well yes MJD won't give you table toppers but will atleast give sales to the company ,look at it this way

Indica Vista did 9000+ units  , while Swift did 12000 units

Dzire did 8500 aprx and indigo/manza did 7100

Aveo is a brilliant platform , a facelift and MJD will burn the market for sure and 3 years free service and warrenty will help it roll the numbers

@drnishu
Multijet does not turn a cars fortune. Prime examples are Punto' date=' Linea, Vista and Manza. 
[/quote']

Swift succeded because of- Good All-rounder Overall Package + Sensible Pricing, MASS.

There's always not a Single reason for anyone's/anything's failure, so are with the above ones, due to following reasons

-Indica Vista: Poor Quality, Niggling Problems, Tata-tag.

-Punto: Fiat's brand Image, Unknown ASS, Poor Quality & Interiors, Niggling Problems.

-Linea: Same as Punto's reasons.

-Manza: Still selling strongly & suffered only little-bit by Tata's-tag.

I know this will be Out of Topic, but take the case of Honda Jazz, why It fizzled ?? Just because of:

-Pricing.

A Big NO for this !!

Alongwith Over-confident pricing, its Non-Car like looks, lack of Premium features, etc created All the Mess.

I know 1.3 MjD is not only the Mantra for Sucess, but considering the Aveo's '+' points alongwith it, it'll definitely make her a Success story & definitely serve as GM-India's No Non-Sense 'Entry level Budget Diesel Sedan', constitutes the Mass of the sales & can definitely achieve Four-digit Sales figures(a Dream for GM for their Aveo today)

However, their Aveo U-VA cries for her Immediate Replacement.

dr_nishu2010-05-14 21:39:46

The public here is not forgetful. They will know that this car has been here and did not sell. $ digit sales may be possible but it will only incur losses to GM. It takes huge amount to develop facility for an engine you are not making currently and then testing of the car for that.

If they do want to launch MJD in India they would want to launch it in a car that will publicise the engine.

Also the whole Indigo selling less than a single car called Dzire espescially when a high majority of them is Taxi operated, does not in my opinion shows that Manza is any form of success.

The public here is not forgetful.
Also the whole Indigo selling less than a single car called Dzire espescially when a high majority of them is Taxi operated' date=' does not in my opinion shows that Manza is any form of success.[/quote']

I don't know whether this is related to the topic or not but generally here "the public forgets & that too pretty fast"!

Are majority of Manzas selling as Taxis? Still numbers are numbers, in which ever form they come. Manza to me is a success.
BornFree2010-05-15 14:51:06

@BF

The whole family of Indigo sedans including Manza, CS and the normal Dicor is selling less than Dzire. Considering that a majority of the Dicors are used as Taxis, if I were to guesstimate I would say around 3000 Manzas were sold. This when compared to less powerful, less feature rich, less liked (design wise) Dzire selling nearly 9k a month I see it as a failure.

Nos. are not the only thing. Its how you stack up in the market against your competitor.

There is something that has to be said something about Swift and Dzire. Just when people said that there days of dominance are over they have increased their lead at the top. Look at Swift, after Figo and Beat's successful start and extremely competitive pricing it zoomed to no 2 position this month.

Beat has been received well for a GM product. Selling 4000 a month for a 3.5 to 4.5 lakh car is average. Why do we call it a success and Estilo at 4-5k a month a dud? This is because with Maruti you expect nos. Because people know what Maruti is. Similarly you dont expect 10000 Sparks to fly off the shelf in a month because people know what GM is. So despite knowing that it is a GM if it is selling average nos. then it is a success for the company.

So public does not forget that a company has not performed well. But the thing is with a new car, you get to a new page (definitely not a new book) and hope for better response. GM has done that with Cruze and Beat, going back and working on devellopment of an old car will be a step backwards.

Also if there is an old car I would ever wish them to work on then it will be the Optra. Just rework the design a little, improve the pricing and voila 120 ps pure diesel pleasure!

@Raul, Dicors are a bygone era now. Tata has down-marketed them to be used in Taxi market & they are right in doing so, why loose sales of a car which can still sell. "Success" does not necessarily mean that one has to be at the top, no.2, 3 spots or acquiring a mark above the industry average is more than enough at times.

Selling ~ 9k units a month of a car basically built on same platform, is a great victory. Look at the profit margins when components & moreover platforms are shared, they are humongous.

Technically Manza is a sound car & a huge leap ahead for Tata. I don't see it lacking in any major department form the Dzire. If at all, the difference would be minute.

You've yourself answered or contradicted your own statements here. First you claimed that people do not forget, than you say that Chevy. Beat is a success & still later you claim that people do not forget!!!

Maruti has successfully revived Estilo from the gallows & GM has managed to bring about a winner in Beat. This in itself signifies that a product matters most, old happenings are seldom kept in mind by the public at-large. See the Skoda story too, Laura is doing good numbers despite a lot of bad word in the market. I can quote any no. of examples you want, take Fiat for instance & while talking about Optra, Spark, do you know these were erstwhile Daewoos!! Did anyone expect them to sell after witnessing the great Daewoo debacle?? I think this is ample proof that people forget & that too quickly.

@BF

I have meant to say that Beat is a success with respect to GM. Yes, I agree I may have created some confusion due to the language, and I apologise for that. If there was a Maruti/Hyundai Beat and if it would have sold 4000 units in the very next month of its launch some eyebrows would have been raised about its acceptance in the market.

I am not saying that Manza is not better than Dzire, I have myself mentioned this, and then questioned that being better it has not been able to challenge Dzire.

We were talking about sales of Aveo, not the profit margins GM can get off it, so I feel that we should stay on that only.

Yes Laura and Superb are doing good nos. but is Fabia getting any numbers home. The market below 10 lakhs is much more sensitive to factors like service, ownership costs. So they like to stay away from it.

I know Optra and Spark were Daewoos but does general public know that? They only see the branding. This is the reason why companies like Suzuki make cars for other makers for market where they are not good . Best example is Opel Agila.

What I am stressing is that Chevy instead of taking a pause and trying to revive a highly unsuccesful product by simple addition of engines etc., concentrate on bringing new products, which are pretty good in my opinion.

See GM not long ago was struggling with Astra, Corsa, etc. but people have forgotten those times altogether & accepted their Beat, Spark & Cruze.

Manza hasn't been able to overtake Dzire & that can be attributed to Marutis generally being more reliable than Tata vehicles. Maruti also scores high on After sales. As a product manza stands its own ground.

Regarding the sales of Aveo, GM can get a boost if they launch a diesel variant of the car or bring in a new model altogether. As all know, GM is no great shakes when it comes to petrol engines.

Fabia lost sales because of the lousy 3-pot motor that's un-refined. Your service costs logic doesn't hold good in case of the Jazz. I would again repeat, the product has to be good to begin with & then backed by good all-round support to do well in the market.

Of-course the general public is aware of the Daewoo genes.  Here are your own words
Also if there is an old car I would ever wish them to work on then it will be the Optra. Just rework the design a little, improve the pricing and voila 120 ps pure diesel pleasure!
An enthusiast wants this, why would the general public not!

You do have a point in the last sentence about GM bringing in new products but also keep in mind, this involves huge costs/investments & old logic of bringing in discarded dies from other markets is a hugely successful business model in India. Almost all companies including Suzuki have employed such strategies to their full advantage. Now, GM already has a product, the best they can do is fill the gap & the biggest gap I see over here is a diesel unit.

Will go with you,Rahul Sir smiley32.gif

Chevrolet's or GM's new Global Strategy is working good for all the company's under GM.

Sales are increased, Customer's headed back to GM Showrooms etc.

Chevrolet India's strategy must be like this,

SPARK

1.Offer both 0.8 & 1.0 in Spark

Reasons: 0.8 to go against likes of Alto.

1.0 to head against Santro,Estilo.

Facelift the Spark cause it's already 3 years old[Launched in 07]

Probably,Grill it like this:

chevrolet_spark_1.jpg

GM should not rule out to grill the Spark[Many say it's girly]

The recent facelift is good for rearlights but Speedo is YUCK!

BEAT

We have seen some spy pics showing Beat LPG.Yes,It's a good move by GM.

Diesel must be brought soon.

The Diesel must be good for decent performance for city commuting,offer good mileage,and must be VFM smiley17.gif

GM must not be late in introducing Diesel 'cause Figo is just crushing Beat for it's Dura Diesel.

AVEO-UVA

God knows what happened to it smiley36.gif

OK,the present one is just YUCK!

Remember the AVEO RS Concept?Introduce it next year[before Suzuki gets back with it's Swift]

Give it 1.4 Petrol with Economy,And a good 90bhp Diesel[National Engine][Or the CDTi engine sourced from Opel]

VFM again matters here.[Also offer high class safety features]

AVEO

Just bang the back of AVEO RS with a good luggage box and it's done.

And as said by Rahul1810 please don't go back offering MJD in current Aveo.

Be patient till you launch the new models.

OPTRAMAGNUM

Errrrr,It's the best one.But it has no facelift.

I think it can take the lead 'cause OCTAVIA is now discontinued.

But,better discontinue it.

Cause if GM Launches all of the above it'll be the only old one.

But you can take it's GEM ENGINE and scale it down or offer it as a SPORT version on the upcoming AVEO Sedan. smiley4.gif

CRUZE

I think Cruze met GM's expectations,It bet the Laura in April Sales.

GM do offer a petrol one to take on Altis.

CAPTIVA

Facelift but it needs the new Chevy face.

Some sharp headlamps and a good grill.

That's it.

Chevy will be in every car buyers,At least in list smiley2.gif

Sorry for going offtopic but didn't find any place to post this.

Chevrolet's or GM's new Global Strategy is working good for all the company's under GM.
Sales are increased' date=' Customer's headed back to GM Showrooms etc.
AVEO-UVA
God knows what happened to it smiley36.gif
OK,the present one is just YUCK!
Remember the AVEO RS Concept?Introduce it next year[before Suzuki gets back with it's Swift']
Give it 1.4 Petrol with Economy,And a good 90bhp Diesel[National Engine][Or the CDTi engine sourced from Opel]
VFM again matters here.[Also offer high class safety features]
AVEO
Just bang the back of AVEO RS with a good luggage box and it's done.
And as said by Rahul1810 please don't go back offering MJD in current Aveo.
Be patient till you launch the new models.
OPTRAMAGNUM
Errrrr,It's the best one.But it has no facelift.
I think it can take the lead 'cause OCTAVIA is now discontinued.
But,better discontinue it.
Cause if GM Launches all of the above it'll be the only old one.
But you can take it's GEM ENGINE and scale it down or offer it as a SPORT version on the upcoming AVEO Sedan.

Will you please let us all know what's "GM's new global strategy"! For your kind information, Aveo & UVA were a part of its new Global strategy & hence came under the flag name Chevy.

I've included Aveo, UVA & Optra only as others are un-related to the topic.

Aveo & UVA share the same platform & the sales of both suffered due to absence of a diesel motor.

Its known to everyone that GM's petrol engines are a no match against those from Japanese rivals & do not stand a chance. Even Optra petrol was a failure but the diesel Optra sold in good numbers in its prime.

Also, go back & read my first reply to the topic, I stated that the "Public forgets & that too quickly". Im not opposed to GM bringing in a new Aveo in any way. Second point was about Manza being a successful model in the Indian Automobile sector. Dispute these points if you will!

If GM can study feasibility, do R&D, Re-Engineer the Car, Test it Extensively on alternate fuel(other than Petrol) & then Claim 3-years/1,00,000kms Warranty on it, with Confidence.

Then Why not to bring the Diesel version here !! especially if they are having the Exclusive rights of that 1.3l MjD engine, other than Fiat..

Afterall Aveo-CNG launch has indicated that GM is also Interested in Pushing her..

@Dr.Nishu ' date=' they are clearly clearing their stock of Aveos in India, its easier to convert them into LPG n CNG. We might see a New Aveo quite soon[/quote']

Yup,Better to seize up the current aveo.

Bring in the new Aveo. smiley17.gif

Better to seize up the current aveo.
Bring in the new Aveo. smiley17.gif

BF's above quote(higlighted below) has its Right Answer.

You do have a point in the last sentence about GM bringing in new products but also keep in mind' date=' this involves huge costs/investments & old logic of bringing in discarded dies from other markets is a hugely successful business model in India. Almost all companies including Suzuki have employed such strategies to their full advantage. Now, GM already has a product, the best they can do is fill the gap & the biggest gap I see over here is a diesel unit.
[/quote']

Very True Sir. This Present Aveo with Diesel powerplant can be pushed below to Ikon, Dzire Segment.

We might see a New Aveo quite soon

Yes, definitely & the New Upcoming one with killer looks can be easily plonked into the Linea, New Fiesta category..