designersf

Chevrolet Spark rear door dent

Hi guys, just a couple of weeks ago, My Chevrolet Spark had a small accident by a mad rich fellow. I had my car parked and he reversed without even looking behind his car.He had a Corolla and spoke like he is god. Absolutely no care for what he had done and replied "Go and use your insurance - Get Lost".  This was his response. I was absolutely angry withy this ***** by name Hariharan from Chennai.

My query is - The impact was low speed and resulted in a big dent in my rear left door. The low speed meant very less paint damage. Only the metal has moved inside (quite a bit). The car is less than a year old. So need help on deciding whether I can get it done or live with it. If I need to get it tinkered, what would be the cost?

I will post the pictures soon

If its a dry dent, go to a experienced denter & ask him to remove by knocking from inside to outwards. In most instances the dents resolve, or leave a slight mark only evident at close inspection.

Note: Make sure he knocks with hands or wood & not directly with hammer, chisel.
BornFree2010-01-25 14:03:15

The authorised sales and service people are best fitted for such jobs.They charge excessively but the job they do is nearest to retrieving the original look with matching paintwork.And the insurance chaps are available at the dealer's workshop quickly. Once the survey report is made the metal work is paid for by the insurance company.Plastics are not covered.Here you have got to be careful to calculate the repair cost and the no-claim bonus you will be entitled to, if there is no claim made.If the no-claim bonus is more than the repair bill, simply forego insurance claims and pay for the repairs. And vice-versa if  the repair bill is excessive.

As for that Toyota owner you should report the matter to the police if you have noted the car number.He must be shown his place the right way.

You can probably knock it back into place if there is no paint damage. But it needs to be done by someone who knows what he is doing. But I can't really tell without looking at it. Perhaps you can pos a picture and maybe then we can tell.

FRG

Asian Sky Shop featured some dent repair kits. Saw it in TV. Never seen anyone using it. Seems that these are good for minor dents but not tried and tested.

I think Chevy service station would be the best place to get it repaired. They will do the job in more scientific way by rectifying the curvature alignment.

An Alternate method:

Since no paint has gone, a simple yet powerful way is,

Take the car to a Sun-film Vendor, they will open the door panels to the max, you can push the bend with your hand from inside. You may just need to tip that fellow with say 20-30 bucks, and Bingo, its done.

Sorry to read about this designer, I know how it feels when you car is hit. But the kind of rude behaviour from the Corolla owner is uncalled for and I hope the Almighty sends a huge meteor from space and crushes his car FLAT!! smiley4.gif We just need to be patient when you meet such arrogant people

About the dent, I think we all need to see a snap first to decide.

@Bornfree - I will be looking at your option if it is possible

@creativebala - I thought TVS were one of the ebst in Chennai. I removed the door trim myself ( smiley1.gif merits of being Mech Engineer) and tried to push it but my god its too difficult. It does move out like plastic but comes back to its dented position.

@anjan - Im aware of that. I will have to do the maths before I choose my option.

@subzero - Thats correct but being an automobile enthusiast myself, I wouldnt want a car to be damaged, even if it belongs to my enemy. It is after all a waste of money and resources

I tried pushing it out with my hand but the metal is so strong and hence could not achieve anything. Now I will have to take it to an experienced guy to get it pushed out.

@Durangodude : Tinkering will be a pain if the colours do not match the original paint and this will be an even bigger problem like you mentioned. So evaluating my options now.