Sign in to follow this  
creativebala

ATTN: Buyers who choose Suzuki A* over Chevy Beat

@FRG- I don't think detailed info about these tests is revealed. For example,some time ago, The Honda Jazz and Hyundai i20 received similar Euro NCAP crash test ratings, but whether the Jazz had only 2 airbags as in the Indian version against the i20's 6 airbags wasn't revealed.

I read the entire test. Beat scored because of certain features like seat belt reminders and dash board designs. Astar will now come with electronic stability control as standard. And yes it is not as per Indian standards. Steps will be taken for the European countries only. Features like side airbags and ESC are available only for European variants. 

That's what I thought. Most European cars have more than the standard twin airbags. Even though these cars there have more airbags, we can still draw a conclusion as to which might be better as there are many other safety items in a car other than the airbag. Things like crumple zones, pretensioned seatbelts and cabin deformation and intrusion also have a major impact on passenger injury.

FRG 
FuelRunGod2010-01-31 17:42:53

In a particular episode of Top Gear(UK) they were discussing the cars safety and NCAP ratings. They put quite a few different cars through a series of head on collisions into a concrete blocks and put special emphasis on how much damage was caused to the cabin. They showed how the dash, steering, pedals, and the A and B pillars were affected. Heres the video.

asethi9192010-01-31 17:57:44

The base model GL of A Star (Alto in Australia) has 6 airbags but ESC is only available in the top model GLX. The base model costs above Rs.5Lakhs here. Who will buy A Star at such a price in India even if it has 6 airbags? So NCAP ratings dont have much to do with most of the cars sold in India especially the ones below Rs10Lakhs. We Indians have more value for money than lives.

So NCAP ratings dont have much to do with most of the cars sold in India especially the ones below Rs10Lakhs.

But we have cars as cheap as Nano to have eligible Euro NCAP ratings. Like Spark, Beat, i20, fabia all have NCAP ratings. I think it is valid for all car companies having an international presence(Europe and others). Only difference is that in other countries features like ABS, airbags are mandatory in all variants. But in India only the highest variants gets these features. So it tough for us to judge based on these results. But points like crumple zones in body frame are really important and makes sense anywhere in the world where that particular car is sold.

sb-alto2010-02-01 13:40:47