BKing

Ashok Leyland rolls out new HCV

Ashok Leyland rolls out new heavy

commercial vehicle

Special Correspondent

The 49-tonner carries a price tag of Rs. 19.75 lakh

2007111656151901.jpg

WIDENING RANGE: Vinod K. Dasari, Chief Operating Officer, Ashok

Leyland, at the launch of a new tractor trailer in New Delhi on Thursday.

NEW DELHI: Ashok Leyland on Thursday rolled out a new 49-tonne heavy

commercial vehicle (HCV), 4921TT. It carries a price tag of Rs. 19.75 lakh. The

company targets to sell 1,000 units of the HCV this fiscal.

Its unfortunate that AutoCar due to its name (???) feel it awkward and also

will feel out-of place to carry test drives and road tests of heavy

vehicles. But for pure automobile fans like me who have special

affection for these heavy machines, its a draught when reading the auto

magazines.

It's an out of place experience to ride those beasts with 9 gears

(divided between lower & higher, but you need to have patience to

reach that top gear). Though i could not personally drive any of the

machines I wanted (because of license), I did experience a short

co-drive in the Volvo's FH12 courtsey of the driver who had come to

unload his Maruti cargo. Its really great to sit inside the truck

(ignoring all garbage inside) with a wide cockpit like cabin, a/c,

driver seat that I have never experience before, and a good cot to take

rest as well.

Wow good looking truck those opting for Accord look at this thick piece of metal

Hahahaaa! kidding

Ashoka have always been known to give Tata a tough fight and Reliance is after Tata and is now opening Reliance jewel to compete with Tanishq but it won't be long when they bring Reliance motors.

HEY Bking thanks for the Info..

I also fascinate trucks n buses..Drove a Volvo B7R for a km... Awesome experience tht was...

Thanks man, nice to see someone else who loves trucks smiley1.gif

The trucks gives you sort of indestructible feeling once you get behind the wheels. isn't it?

B7R is the bus, how did u get to driving it man?...Banglore?  ..but the B7R have a lower seating position than the FH12.

The J series is a fantastic 4 valves per cylinder HINO, a worthy successor to the W series engine in every sense.

If its any consolation, I have driven a Mercedes Frieghtliner, a Tatra and a Stallion extensively in US and here in India.

Had class2 license in US, have driven HINO and Mercedes mid size trucks there to pay for college, the Frieghtliner was my friend's.

The Stallion and Tatra were both at Jabalpur while I was there to take delivery of my Jonga. Both are formidable vehicle, diff locks front and rear, Tatra is 6x6 but the best truck I have driven till date is Mercedes Benz Unimog in Germany which my brother owns with his business partner. Check out Unimog at

FuelRunGod2007-11-21 12:46:30

Yep, I see the tell tale J series badge, these will kick ass, good competition for MAN, but where is the space and the money for upkeep, all the Volvos being p run by transportation companies north or south are in shambles due to poor maintenance and costly parts, half the time they break down. Only the ones in Kolkatta are relatively better due to them being recently acquired.

You one lucky chap. btw, which Jonga do you have? can you post some pictures? I am a fan of Jonga as well. When did u buy you Jonga, in the mid 90s or a 2nd hand vehicle?

I am asking it because, Jonga in the mid-90s was to launch (maybe even limited launch) new Jongas in the Indian market and they had rectangular headlamp assembly. But sadly, nothing came of it and Jonga's simply vapourised.

Its unfortunate that AutoCar due to its name (???) feel it awkward and also

will feel out-of place to carry test drives and road tests of heavy

vehicles. But for pure automobile fans like me who have special

affection for these heavy machines' date=' its a draught when reading the auto

magazines.

[/quote']

the name doesn't restrict autocar into anything i think. they do bike reviews even if the name has only 'auto and car' in it.smiley36.gif... maybe they think that it's pointless for them to go into the trouble of reviewing the trucks when no one would buy one because of the review. they might as well spend that time on new cars. and i think they ( including FRG ) have enough things on their mind already without considering the trucks even. smiley4.gif...

Yep' date=' I see the tell tale J series badge, these will kick ass, good competition for MAN, but where is the space and the money for upkeep, all the Volvos being p run by transportation companies north or south are in shambles due to poor maintenance and costly parts, half the time they break down. Only the ones in Kolkatta are relatively better due to them being recently acquired.[/quote']

I think the AL trucks will do better, beacuse it doesn't cost as much as the MAN or the Volvo's. No wonder AL is expecting a 50% share of the sale in that segment. Hope you saw them expecting 1,000 numbers from the market figure of 2,000.

WBest wishes to the AL team. In recent years what have truly come out from the AL is that, they have readied some real good looking cabs.

let's just say tht i was little lucky to drive those babies...

Hey i m actually waiting for the AL's 280 Bhp engine in a bus.

They said tht it wld be launched in 05

and we are already in 07... when will it be launched... coz it will def give the B7R a run for its money!!! and the Speed!!

the name doesn't restrict autocar into anything i think. they do bike reviews even if the name has only 'auto and car' in it.smiley36.gif... maybe they think that it's pointless for them to go into the trouble of reviewing the trucks when no one would buy one because of the review. they might as well spend that time on new cars. and i think they ( including FRG ) have enough things on their mind already without considering the trucks even. smiley4.gif...

ooooops , thats a point man! ....but i have to tell you, AutoCar is not giving enough space to 2-Wheelers either.smiley19.gif  .....maybe the 2-wheeler testing guys are becoming lazy smiley2.gif

let's just say tht i was little lucky to drive those babies...

Hey i m actually waiting for the AL's 280 Bhp engine in a bus.

They said tht it wld be launched in 05

and we are already in 07... when will it be launched... coz it will def give the B7R a run for its money!!! and the Speed!!

yeah...me too waiting for all sots to buses (rear engined) to come out and give VOLVO  a good run for their money. Its because of the nvestment made for the volvo buses that the ticket prices are steep. The intercity coaches from AL, TATA, Vectra (Kamaz JV) are not going to cross the 30Lakh region and I expect them to price within 20 lahk. If that becomes the pricing, every single person who takes inter-city coaches will enjoy a reduced ticket price. That too without a shaken spine!

You are not alone, Bking and rugs, I too am a die-hard fan of trucks.  smiley1.gif  I can't match you guys and Gurkha in knowledge, but I think I can certainly match your enthusiasm!  I have yet to get my hands on the steering wheel of a truck and am yearning for such a chance.  The closest I've been to driving a truck is driving a medium sized Ford Transit.  Good to see the new beauties from AL. 

I had read a test drive of the Volvo FL8 (I'm not sure about the nomenclature, its the one smaller than the FH12) in one of our automags, can't remember whether it was ACI though.  I think test drives of cool commercial vehicles should feature in auto mags too.  I like trucks for their macho character and imposing stance.

Jitz