amaan1994

What are CVT transmissions? How do they w

Hi everyone. I just happened to be leafing through Autocar India's October '09 issue, and read the Luxury Sedan comparo. I was a little perplexed to see that even while the Nissan Teana had a 2.5 litre V6 engine, it made 180 bhp only, blame it on the CVT transmission, whereas the Skoda Superb and the Honda Accord, using four cylinder engines, generate 160 and 177 bhp respectively. How such a minimal difference in power output even when the Teana has a V6? How does a CVT transmission work and how does it affect performance? Please help!

But i still do have a doubt in my mind. Why do manufacturers opt to fit CVT transmissions in their cars? What makes those transmissions viable?

Smooth Gear change Transitions (or in Better/Appropriate words Smooth Changes in the Gear ratio) is the biggest reason that's why the CVT's are preferred over the Step-type Automatics' date=' but its limitation lies in the fact that, the whole CVT system working is just based on the Rubber Belt or Chain/Metal based Rubber Belt running between the Variable pulleys in the Gearbox, and during the moments of sudden Acceleration, the Belt's slip action(=Belt Effect) occurs- leading to loss of some of the Engine's Power & this phenomenon becomes more prominent in High-Power Engines. Hence adversly affecting there Performance & Fuel Efficiency. 

GearBoxRotRotVar.gif

I was a little perplexed to see that even while the Nissan Teana had a 2.5 litre V6 engine, it made 180 bhp only, blame it on the CVT transmission, whereas the Skoda Superb and the Honda Accord, using four cylinder engines, generate 160 and 177 bhp respectively. How such a minimal difference in power output even when the Teana has a V6? How does a CVT transmission work and how does it affect performance? Please help!

Due to the above mentioned Belt Effect the Nissan Teana performance suffers...

Similar type of the case was with the Honda City ZX Automatic(CVT)too.......