sham

Diesel and adulteration

Hi all,

For my punto (mjt) I had been using only the diesel from 'Shell'  bunks hoping that their quality was better . But with the recent changes in budget ,they have started to charge 7 rs more with likelyhood of increasing.

So i had to switch back to the usual bunks which i dont trust.

So is there a way i can ensure i get good quality of diesel for the money i pay without knowing which bunk actually provides it?

Secondly one more curious question is that , Is there a way i can figure out from the diesel density (on display at bunks) as to where its quality fuel or not?

And any other ideas that will ensure i get good fuel!

To add to this my FE is starting to show only 13 on avg.(city)

Im not too sure if this is what i should be expecting.

My car has finished first service.. I"ve clocked 3000 in 2 months.

I know driving habits will influence FE. But quality of fuel will as well...

So any way i can increase FE or any suggestions to do so?

I'd really like to take it up to 15 at least ;)

PS: I use AC almost 50% of the times im on the road. and when the car was new i noticed that I was able to extract around 15. So could anyone pls help me out with this.

Allow the car to do 5000km before looking at the FE.

There is a simple solution to the fuel quality problem. Remove subsidy from Kerosene, see the demand plummet and the improvement of quality and demand in 'sarkari' diesel.

hmm, the kerosene subsidy will never go i guess..

It will take a new political turn 'literally' in our country if things like that happen.

Secondly COCO, How do identify them? Do the bunks boast of any papers that will be put out at their bunks for ppl to see or something?

COCO bunks usually have aboard that says that they are operated by the company. However, in Chennai, there is one of BP's biggest bunks, also a COCO and they are bloody cheaters. The calibration is completely improper. It delivers only 0.9l or something but the meter shows 1 L. Moreover, they dont show us the ) setting most of the time.

So even COCO cannot be entirely trusted too.

The bunk is BP in Mogappair, Chennai

I once caught a COCO bunk in Channdigadh trying to cheat me (did not reset the meter and started pumping fuel).

I was carrying a video camera with me that day - took it out and had fun as they ran for cover. If you suspect any funny business, ask for the complaint register. That usually straightens them out.

hmm... so the bottom line is ,

In India its very very very difficult to get quality fuel? :-)

PS: i guess one more thing that we need to fight over!!

Quality of fuel affects your fuel mileage adversely, as well as the life of your various engine components. Bad quality fuel can lead to carbon deposits in the engine which would in turn reduce power output of the engine. It is advisable to have your engine decarbonised every 20k kilometers. Especially in India where the fuel quality is always a suspect. It is best to put premium petrol/diesel once in three tankfuls as this dissolves the carbon depoisitions etc.

Citing my own experience in Pune, My swift petrol usually delivers a fuel average of 14.5 kms in the city. I switched from my regular petrol pump for a tankful of petrol and my car gave an average of 10.7 kms/litre. this is keeping in mind the quanitity of fuel filled in was more or less the same as before. The drop in the power of the swift was apparent and i could feel the engine not pulling smoothely.

I have switched back to the old pump and got a tankful of Extra Premium petrol. Performance is back to normal and I can finally strech the legs of the swift on the expressway this weekend.  

Thanks for the advice.. and yes i do agree about the FE.

I also remember that for my punto i had changed the bunk from shell to a local guy near my home .. and there was immediate drop in FE.

Although i could not feel much loss in pulling..

May be because i genearally travel alone or at max 2 .

But now i've stuck to a bunk 6km away and its consistently giving me 14..

This time i got nearly 15.Very good i would suspect for a 1.2Tonner.

everything is good.

But i've not used the premium brands of diesel anytime till now.

If its really worth i mean . i've clocked 3.8K in 3mths so if its wise to decarbonize my car .. I'll let it run out of fuel this time and get the premium ones from shell for the next filling.

But there is something id like to know.. and its very important for me..

I hear people talking about getting the fuel filled by the dawn or late in the night. as they saw at those times the density of fuel is correct and you get value of your money.

"Is it true".

Generally in the bunk i go to , i see that that density of diesel is around 82-85kgm^3

is that correct? and is there a way i can figure out the quality of fuel based on this info?

May be via international stds?

COCO bunks usually have aboard that says that they are operated by the company. However' date=' in Chennai, there is one of BP's biggest bunks, also a COCO and they are bloody cheaters. The calibration is completely improper. It delivers only 0.9l or something but the meter shows 1 L. Moreover, they dont show us the ) setting most of the time.

So even COCO cannot be entirely trusted too.

The bunk is BP in Mogappair, Chennai
[/quote']

COCO are no longer holy places.Here where I live, I was patronising a COCO station and one fine day I read about a person who had come with the purpose of trapping them.He asked for a certain volume of petrol in a jerry-can he was carrying. A worker filled up the jerry-can and he then  got it measured and called the Weights and Measures chaps.The next day's papers carried this story.The whole staff was then changed-guess they are temporary workers who themselves form a group to cheat customers, with the company being unaware (or are they hand in glove?) of their monkey tactics.

I now get my fill from a station where the owner visits regularly twice or thrice a day to check upon the workers.

We should all try and find out the best fuel dispensing stations in our respective cities. This can be best done by discussing in our own circle of friends and acquaintances to zero upon the best.Fuel quality these days affect the CRDe and MPFI engines which are hyper sensitive to the purity of fuel.

The sub-standard quality of fuel has been a major hindrance and aversion factors for foreign manufacturers to bring in their latest technologies and engines due to their highly sensitive nature.

Like Skoda, initially didn't offer their pump-deuse engines due to the poor quality of oil....

You've had me in splits. I stay just around mogappair. The only other decent COCO i've come across is BP in shanti colony, Annanagar. Haven't yet faced any problems with regards to fuel quality from here.