carispassion

Maruti Wagon R 2010: First Impression!

Why it is more disappointing to see New Wagon R is because models like Cervo was expected from Maruti Suzuki.

cervo1.jpg

Since Maruti vehicles are at par and better than the competition always we expect some thing more than what they are offering.

Internationally Santro was a copy of Suzuki Wagon R' date=' which was the original tall boy. It was just launched a little later in India.

What do you mean by something new? A sedan Wagon R?
If we see Maruti it has been first to introduce many things too.
Airbags+ABS in a hatch(Swift)
Steering Mounted controls at less than 10 lakhs(SX4)
Automatic Climate Control

[/quote']

And i was under the impression the Automatics Climate control the so called Auto AC was first introduced in "Beat"

Well although the new WagonR seems to be improved a lot from the older one, still some basic changes could have been made ages ago, nothing new is offered, its just the thing that now its at par with segment while before it had nothing to attract except the brand, it had bad gear shift, worst quality, bad seats, bumpy ride, no equipments as such, etc, but now its at par and MSIL has done something which is common, have introduced in Santro & Spark years ago(am talking about quality, seats & a Gearshift which was needed badly in Waggy). Santro 12years ago came with a very good gearshift which still is, good stability for a small car at that time & stong built while WagonR which came later has nothing of this sorts. But then these improvements are enough and what new are you expecting, this is a car mostly bought by Maruti Brand lovers, for something special or different you have ugly A-star & Ritz(Best MS car in India ever).

I remember when my uncle who drove my Spark(he owns 2007 wagonR) had a smile on his face, he bought WagonR only because of Maruti & for the sake of Maruti, they drive this one only for sake of driving while they dont like it even, but after their experience of owning a Ford Ikon(much expensive maintenance at that time), they bought MSIL car to play safe & as they wanted to fit CNG & have heard that MSIL are best ones compatible with CNG.
I have seen lots of people around me, who though are not dissatisfied with MSIL cars but still they arent as happy either especially with WagonR & SX4. But then they are happy that they are owning a Maruti, they bought a good brand but not a good product. And now my uncle is desperate to own a i10/i20 & will probably buy one soon. He is now as rigid for i10 as he was with WagonR 3years back.
So, New WagonR is a nice car and probably at par which is good thing, people can now drive a decent product with good brand unlike before, @Caripassion, you said that WagonR's door thud was similar to Swift/Ritz, well to clear it Swift's build quality is not anything to talk about, its a blackspot on 'Premium' tag we have given while Ritz is quite decent & i10 has one of the best build qualities and much better than Swift's.

@Bornfree, to say that Beat & i10 are just another cars is bit too harsh. It might be to you but this is not the fact, i10 was a hatch which changed the meaning, the way A+ or B category hatch were percieved to be, it still has one of the best interiors, good looks, good build quality, spacious than A+ hatches, looks quite big from outside, has good seats & comfort and nice engine too. It is & was a benchmark & trendsetter, still you can see that new yet to be launched Micra, A-star & Figo has quite similarities with i10, they all have followed i10 in a way, whether they are looks, interiors, spacious cabin, big car feel or anything & this was not with any of the hatch before.

Also Beat is definately not another hatch too, when all were busy making hatch similar to i10, Chevy went to try completely new and when was the last time you saw a concept being converted in production in almost same way (we have seen ugly A-star which was head turning concept or Kizashi which also didnt stand upto concept), also its interiors design & quality are best in hatch segment, even the Swift doesnt have the quality Beat has. You might not like it but then that will not change the conditions, right?

Also, regarding Figo, you might not like its looks but just feel the car once and TD it, i am sure you wont compare it with WagonR again, its something different for a hatch, there are many who wanted Ride & space like Vista & handling & dynamics like Swift with a good price & with quality that both doesnt offers and thats Figo for you but has FORD name attached to it which many dont want but now its slightly changing.
And for Ford & Chevy to even manage 5-7k sold units a month, its a bigger achievement than Hyundai's or Maruti's selling some 15-18k units a month seeing the former brand's value in India previously.

Also, i dont think we should move over Hyundai or Maruti war again, but those who are telling that WagonR was launched before Santro then why didnt the country's own brand bought it here before it?, also why didnt Maruti(which was small car champ since beginning) considered India as a small car HUB for exports?, why didnt Maruti manufactured a car in INDIA for the world?

All this was done by Hyundai 1st & immediately followed by MSIL, so if a company which doesnt thinks about the prosperity of a country they sell most cars than even Japan, & are loved since 25years, doesnt deserves applause or appreciation for anything we are giving.

Also to ignores Hyundai's step of bringing CRDi's engine to India is mere foolishness or hell lot of favouritism for MSIL.

So brand wise, Hyundai definately has an edge over Maruti considering the period they both have spent in INDIA.

Coming back to WagonR, i am not at all saying that its a bad car, infact a good one but definately doesnt breaks any ground, means it does not have anything that other cars dont have. Even i10, Ritz, Beat or Figo offers practicality & lot more than that too including better quality(if am not wrong) but then for Maruti lovers, this one is not bad at all considering the improvements it has over previous gen but the front look could have been like the one introduced in Japan, thats definately a looker.

bluesapphire2010-04-28 09:40:22

@tejas

Cervo is also said to b in queue for India launch. There have been talks of Maruti completely realigning its range.

1. Altos price goes down. It is evident from recent spy shots of the BS4 Alto about cost cutting, and thus pric reduction.

2. Then come A-Star and Estilo. Cervo would be included here.

3. Wagon R will fight it out with i10 1.1 while Ritz will fight with i10 1.2

4. When the next Swift comes it will be priced right at i20 as then it will be larger than current Swift and so will be able to take the fight to i20.

5. They might bring SX4 hatch(rumored for long time) as a powerful hatch, but nothing can be said at this instance.

SX4 has already made its image as a big sedan and it will be a suicide of SX4 Sedan if MSIL bring SX4 hatch. 

I hope Cervo will be launched with better or same look. MSIL need to work seriously for its interior as it will be competing with Chevrolet Beat.

Before EECO was launched much has been expected but it is very poorly designed. If EECO was designed nicely it would have been a big threat to almost all cars from hatch to the MPVs but as it is being observed MSIL is over confident and they think that whatever they will introduce will get sold.

EECO is selling very well. It has got off to a strong start, 4000 a month, that when it is sold on the same floor as the Omni which sells 8000 a month!

Also MPVs at that price band  dont need to be designed nicely, they just need to be funtional, frogal and reliable, all of which it is.

However we are going OT and lets get back to Wagon R

@Nishu & bs, this is not a Hyundai vs Maruti thread & nobody ever said Hyundai's were bad cars. The crux of the matter is that atleast I & many on the board do not see the new Wagon-R lacking in any major department w.r.t. its intended use.

Its a car well worth the money & will find many interested consumers & its the market position that decides whether a car is a winner or a loser.

Good Thing about new Wagon R is that it offers Airbags so it is very nice to have safety features in budget cars but unfortunately for this feature also it has become second as TATA launched Indica Vista with Airbags befor the Wagon R Launched.

but unfortunately for this feature also it has become second as TATA launched Indica Vista with Airbags befor the Wagon R Launched.

Misunderstood sir !!

Even the Old(Last to this new variant) Wagon-R came with the Airbags & ABS as an Option pack in the top of line VXi variant, nearly retailing at @4.30 lacs.(ex-showroom Chandigarh), even the Zen Estilo came with Airbags & ABS as an option.

Then later on Tata launched the Indica V2 Turbo DLX variant with option of Airbags & ABS @almost 4.7lacs.

Also got this new Wagon-R LXi version pics across the Internet- Showing its Different yet Cost-cutting Indtrument Cluster & Blank Centre console with Provision of Music System, but on the Whole, One of the Nice & Best thing is that the Striking & great looking 3-spoke Steering Wheel is standard across all the Variants.

2010wagonrmotoroidsfeat.jpg2010wagonrmotoroidsinte.jpg

While More Innovative & Re-Introduced is this 1st Class Comfort in the new W-R,

2010wagonrmotoroidsinte.jpg

(Image source: Motoroids.com)
dr_nishu2010-04-29 20:33:35

It may be good thing or bad thing about Maruti is that they don't keep a particular model upgraded just like TATA is doing with Indica Brand but they altogether introduce new vehicle with new name.

It is observed for its almost all the vehicles and it was expected that it would have been remain the same brand but they have introduced new vehicles and made some cosmetic changes in the older one and make them to compete with each other.

(i) Maruti 800   Expecting  Cervo

(ii) Alto  to A-Star

(ii) Maruti 1000   to   Esteem    to  SX4   and  expecting  Kizashi

(iii) Omni    to   Versa    to   EECO

(iv) ZEN   to  SWIFT

(v) Wagon R    to   Ritz

So Maruti is increasing Brands to compete with each others only and consumers remain with them.

It is a great thing about maruti is that they have not discontinued any vehicles since its launched, they are still there and adding new vehicles at regular intervals.

@tejas, well Kizashi is an all new car, its an all new segment MSIL will be stepping in, its not in any way upgradation or global replacement for Sx4. Also the Dzire is a replacement for Esteem in India.

It is a great thing about maruti is that they have not discontinued any vehicles since its launched' date=' they are still there and adding new vehicles at regular intervals. ??

[/quote'] What so great about, its not a tough decision or tough job to not to discontinue old cars rather its simple & easy job to retain sales, though its accepted by Indians here. Only volume hungry companies are after this process, companies like Honda & Toyota immediately discontinue the older models to make way for newer one. Even if Honda had kept the OHC with dolphin City side by side with another name, both could have managed some good numbers but they avoided it, same is with Toyota for Qualis & Innova, while companies like Skoda, Maruti, Hyundai, etc does not believes so & also law is not forcing them to phase out outdated cars while same is not the case with foreign countries.

Tata is slowly taking these steps, though they didnt discontinued their Indica after Vista but they did phased out Indigo after their Manza was out which was a very good move & same was done by Maruti too while replacing Esteem with Dzire.

It is great only to handle so many vehicles and its respective customers and proving to be the best in customer satisfaction.

Only Esteem is discontinued from Maruti Stable and all other vehicles are still for sale and they are being sold in great numbers.

It is great only to handle so many vehicles and its respective customers and proving to be the best in customer satisfaction.

Only Esteem is discontinued from Maruti Stable and all other vehicles are still for sale and they are being sold in great numbers.

I think we need to add old Wagon R, Old Zen, and Baleno to the list.

Is it sensible for a family of 3, who can afford and plan to buy a top-end petrol Dzire, i20(1.2) or Fabia (1.2)  later this year,as an upgrade from a M800, and problably will retain the car for 7-10 year, but the vehicle will be their 2nd car, ie- the car will be used only on weekends, and cover not-so-long distances., go in for a WagonR Vxi (Airbags+ABS) instead, as a money-saving option, considering the paltry usage of the car?  The car may have to go through 1or2 not too long outstation trips.

ie- the car will be used only on weekends' date=' and cover not-so-long distances., .[/quote']

Wagon-R for Highway runs = Better if avoided.

(So are the other Tall-boy cars too like Estilo, Spark, etc, as yesterday seen the Chevy Spark over-turned at City Roundabout just because suddenly M800 came in front of it & the Spark's driver lost the Control)

While i10 & Santro, Ritz are quite stable as the i10 is not so tall & is having Balanced & Good Suspension while the S/Ritz are having Good Track width which provides them Good Stability at even Uneven roads.

In lines with What Shapur Kotwal quoted in ACI mag few months/issues back, I always prefer & advice A Low, wide & Long Wheelbase car for Highway trips..

dr_nishu2010-04-30 19:18:03

Hello Nishu,

+1 to that. Better to select a car having low center of Gravity, if we are planning to make lots of highway trips. But the higher space efficiency of tall boys is hard to resist!

By the way, regarding the highway manners of i10, I tend to disagree. even though it is not a tall boy, I felt the high speed manner of i10 to be in leagues with that of Wagon R.

IMO, the soft suspension and silent ride of i10 coupled with light steering is a boon in City! Though I have made quiet a lot of long trips on i10 and felt that it is not very stable at speeds above 70-80kmph even if the roads are in good condition. The soft suspension will start pitching on even very small unevenness on glass-like highways. And if the road is anything less than perfect, the car's pitching movements will give a fright to the driver as well as to the passengers! I felt the ride at rear bench  is quite uncomfortable at high speeds.

I had a very good appeal about i10 but it came down after making a few long trips in it! there is no arguing that i10 is a near perfect car for City usage.

And I should tell that my Ritz feels much more solid at high speeds than an i10.  But people perceive it to be a lesser stable car than i10 due to high roof line. What I feel is that apart from Center of Gravity of the car, the stiffness of the chassis, suspension tuning, track width etc play a major role in deciding on the High speed characteristics!

carispassion2010-05-01 05:43:52

Yes they are giving the new models buts we are expecting more than that. look Maruti is a very big brand.They always gives us the best products other than companies.Like Sx4 and swift. we need some models like that.these cars are great..Specially swift vxi.

By the way' date=' regarding the highway manners of i10, I tend to disagree............I had a very good appeal about i10 but it came down after making a few long trips in it! there is no arguing that i10 is a near perfect car for City usage.

[/quote']

Mmmmmm. . . . .

Good review for i10 sir, but the Actual thing is that Still most of the Highways in India are not in a Good shape with Maximum safe Automobile speeds for them ranging between 40-50kmph & 70-80kmph for 2-wheelers & Cars resp.

So for Mixed City & such type of Highway-usage, Budget Sensitive yet Performance seeking buyers- i10 fits well for them, Hence are its Sales figures- No.2 or 3 every month of Top-10, with also thanks to its 30-35k Push Discounts.

Positively speaking, Ritz is in a league of its Own & conquers different segment Pie & is a Ruler there too.

Happy motoring... smiley32.gifdr_nishu2010-05-02 21:27:19

By the way' date=' regarding the highway manners of i10, I tend to disagree............I had a very good appeal about i10 but it came down after making a few long trips in it! there is no arguing that i10 is a near perfect car for City usage.

[/quote']

Mmmmmm. . . . .

Good review for i10 sir, but the Actual thing is that Still most of the Highways in India are not in a Good shape with Maximum safe Automobile speeds for them ranging between 40-50kmph & 70-80kmph for 2-wheelers & Cars resp.

So for Mixed City & such type of Highway-usage, Budget Sensitive yet Performance seeking buyers- i10 fits well for them, Hence are its Sales figures- No.2 or 3 every month of Top-10, with also thanks to its 30-35k Push Discounts.

Positively speaking, Ritz is in a league of its Own & conquers different segment Pie & is a Ruler there too.

Happy motoring... smiley32.gif

Hello Nishu,

Pardon me if my post caused any confusion.

I know that the i10 is one of the best cars for city usage. I even

mentioned the same in my previous thread.

If you feel that stability at 70-80 kmph is good enough for a highway

car, then even the tall-est boy of India, the Wagon R really is a

Highway car!

I was not trying to bash\patronize any car. I was trying to point out the misconception of General public who feels that all the tall boys are not at all stable; when the stability is more to do with the car's suspension tuning, chassis stiffness etc.

carispassion2010-05-03 12:48:25

Hi guys, <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Test driven New MS Wagon-R VXi with 1.0l K-series engine yesterday.

Looks:

Standing display car in the Showroom was the New Wagon-R VXi in Bluish Grey colour(which MSIL is using for promos, etc) with Full Side skirting & it was looking Awesome with it, as it helped alot in Reducing its side-bulk & visible Ground clearance, hence giving it a Purposeful yet dynamic & Gorgeous looks.

Interiors: With Doors closed & through All-around Tinted Glasses, its Interiors gave a typical Quality Glare, especially its Dashboard plastics & Seat fabrics-All enough to Put a smile & Anticipation to feel it onto the face of the looker there.

So, after opening the Door & entering into it noticed the Improved design & quality of the Interiors in Lovely shades of Light n Dark Grey, Aluminium finishes, etc with Huge Music system dominating the Scenario of whole dashboard there, another one is the Excellent looking Steering Wheel & As usual Perfect City Driving position of Wagon-R(same as earlier).

So, Overall the car was looking fine both from Exteriors as well as Interiors & both in the White, Glistening Grey & Greyish-blue colours standing there & the best amongst the all is the Glistening Grey shade.

Test Drive Experience:

Then came the time to TD it & so are the reviews after it,

Engine:

Here comes my favourite 3 vs 4-cylinder engines clash.

So, after Twisting the key of this 3-cylinder engine powered car, the engine settled into a barely audible Idle. Then, Pressed the accelerator pedal to the max & again surprised by the Silence & vibe-free nature of the car at STAND-STILL.

Then came the actual driving Test,

Started from the Casual driving Style 1st, Putting the Gear-lever into the 1st Gear via better but still somewhat Rubbery Gear-shifter & got onto the crowded Highway. As it was my consecutive TD immediately after the Ritz-D, I noticed this new Wagon-R somewhat Light & Easier to drive, with More direct, lighter & better Feedback providing steering than the Latter, but losing out on the Engine area, especially in the NVH stakes.

On straight performance runs, this unbalanced 3-cyl engine loses heavily infront of its parent 4-cyl K12M engine.

On flat-accelaration run in 2nd gear till rpm Redline, this engine felt very much Inconsistent & Unbalanced in the Power delivery with the front end of the Car Shaking & jittering alongwith the high NVH-levels, very similar to that of the Alto's 796cc 3-cylinder engine.

So, Better was the Older 1061cc 4-cylinder F10D engine here.

Driving Dynamics & Suspension:

But this is the Section where this Maruti's work shows, as this car felt very Planted & Car-like in Road-handling, Suspension & Stability areas with only High-feeling thing in it was its Tall-Roof not its Centre of Gravity.

A +1 over the Previous W-R.

Infact, IMO this car felt better & much-easily manouverable than Ritz in the City & till 70-80kmph speeds(Sorry, no offense meant for Ritz owners here) whereas the latter felt bulkier & large in same Road there.

And, During the TD the contributory features were:

-Excellent Sounding Music System.

-Great looking Steering Wheel with Good Grip.

-Properly Cushioned Seats.

-Super-Chilll A/C.

-Tilt Steering.

My Verdict:

A good-looking car with good-features at a Price that's still 10-years Old(Thanks & hats-off for the Maruti for this hard-est job). Improved is the Character, Driving dynamics of the car, which's now more Car-like but Not-so-Good is the Retrogressive move of the engine in NVH & Torque-delivery manners, where I still appreciate the Old 1061cc one.

Last but not the least, If I've to go I'd like to pick the Used-Ongoing version W-R(some 1-2year or 20-40k kms Old) over this one, reasons being the above Obvious ones.

(While writing this post, If somehow I've hurted anyone's feelings, please spare me.)

dr_nishu2010-05-04 11:07:19

Congratulation Maruti for making a good car even better.

Ha ha, is this a joke, what was good about the previous one, was that the 2decades old shabby outdated Gearbox, or that bumpy ride & toy like handling, or must be the tin can type quality, they have done nothing great as every one is making out to be, i dont thing everytime we all need to go ga ga over all Maruti cars even if there is a small change in it, otherwise the companies who incorporates big changes even then they are critisized here.

They just made a decent product that can atleast be called Car now out of the dabba called car before, the worst i have ever seen. Just managing good sales is not a good product all about, especially if its a Maruti !

I think bs, you've some bad experience with it !!

As in realty, It isn't exactly the same what you've quoted above.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

New W-R has both pros & cons & IMO I've listed them above, all that Decades old Gearbox, bumpy ride & Toy-like handlling are almost eradicated in the latest version with new Cable-operated Gearbox, Suspension system & Tyres/Wheels, etc,

even the Old-one W-R does have Nimble, good Performance, frugality, Visibility & as an Overall package which even dominated the Customer minds with added benefits of MASS network.

I'm not appreciating Maruti or their product here, but enlighting here is the Actual reality of W-R customers or people seeking it.

Hence are its Sales figures, always in Top-10. 

dr_nishu2010-05-06 08:39:29