dr_aks

BEST CITY HATCHBACK

Hello every body.

Being a new member of the autocar india forums, i would like to ask my first ever question from all of the members present here.

the ques. is as follows:

I have a navy blue Maruti 800 dx i.e wtih company fitted a.c.1996 model.the car has done 97000kms in this long time interval and is still fair in condition.the reason is that the daily run is of 15-20kms only.

now we are about to replace it with another hatchback of a premium segment.

the budget is strictly Rs.5lacs

and i have shortlisted a few cars fron a rightfully termed confusing market today which are as follows:

Maruti Suzuki Ritz,

Maruti Suzuki Swift,

Volkswagon Polo

hyundai i20.

but before deciding one of them, here are some of my queries that iwould like to clear...

1.the first and foremost question is of the heart, the most important organ,should i go for a diesel one or the petrol version, taking in consideration the daily usage.

2.my dad wants a car thats fully loaded with all the necessary features i.e it should not demand any after market jobs such as alloys,tyre upgrades,music system,etc.

3.now coming to family,being of 4, proper comfort is also on my mind with adequate amount of support for all of us.

4.one thing that i'll be greatly stressing is the stress free ownership of a car as was my previous one which with god's grace didn't troubled me ever,except some minor mechanical faults.So a car which needs low maintainance is on the cards,suggest one the above.

5.I live in ludhiana (Punjab), one of the busiest city in India. Being an industrial city,there is lot of traffic with huge amount of emigrant population from U.P. and Bihar.Hence there is havoc on roads for the whole day. So the you'll all suggest must give a good and commanding view of road so that it is easy to drive it in city traffic.

6.And last but not the least is good fuel efficiency, which is the need of the day.

Hope i'll get inspiring answers to all my questions from all of you.

AND I WOULD BE ABLE TO BUY THE BEST CAR THAT MY MONEY CAN GET FOR ME ACCORDING TO MY NEEDS AND ULTIMATELY PROVE TO BE A SENSIBLE DEAL.

Also try the new 2010 maruti wagon r vxi with airbags and abs (more features than ford figo).

also worth looking is the ford figo 1.2 zxi which costs within the budget of rs 5 lakhs.

None of the options you have listed above will be in 5 lakhs considering your requirements.  The nearest would be Ritz ZXI at around 5.6 lakhs. I strongly suggest you stretch to that amount as it suits all your requirements as perfectly as possible.

If you cannot stretch your budget, have a look at Ford Figo and the new Wagon R.

There have been some questions raised by some people regarding the mileage of Figo, so that is still in some doubt. Also the A.S.S is questionable, but they have been improving a lot there.

My final suggestion would be to go for Ritz if you can. Second only because I am still a wee bit skeptical about Ford, Wagon R followed by Figo.

Ritz>Wagon R> Figo

It has to be Beat LT(Op)tion if needed followed by new WR.(Since Ritz top end is pretty far from your options)

Figo is also good, BUT ....... being a petrol, its better to opt amongst the above. Else if you are prepared to go for a Oil Burner, Figo is close to best (because of doubtful AfSS & looks)

For your budget & requirements VW Polo & Hyundai i20 are out of consideration as both are above 5lacs will be a base variant at that price.

Also Swift wont be as comfortable and Ritz is better compare to Swift in terms of Ride, Build Quality, Interior plastics & design, easy driving in city, roominess & a new car.

Maruti Suzuki Ritz & Chevy Beat both are good car, both offer good comfort, good interiors(Beat is better here), good ride(Beat is better here), good handling(Ritz is better), good quality and overall peace of mind experience. Although Maruti are known best for A.s.s but i believe Chevy are not too far behind and also they offer 3years maintenance package for peace of mind.

Prices of both :

MS Ritz ZXi - 4.85lac Ex-showroom approx.

Chevy Beat LT option pack - 4.5lac ex-showroom approx.

So Beat is definately better value for money & perfectly fits your budget too, moreover it comes with more equipment too but its styling suits your family or not that you have to decide.

TD the Ritz ZXI and Figo Diesel Titanium and decide for yourself. Petrol is more stress free and maintenance free. But for around 600 kms/month I think diesel also will do well to reduce running costs.  

@ DD

i dont think that he needs a diesel as it is not as maintenance free as a petrol.

If you want a diesel, figo it is, without a doubt.

Petrol-BEAT its got to be.

Thanks to all for your reviews!

I had td Ritz ZXi when it was launched in may 2009.I had driven it in the rush hour traffic noon.

I was mesmerised with the way the then all new K12M motor comes to life as soon as foot is pressed on the pedal.And i started to push it harder and tested the stability ,but it handled quite well. While overtaking, the handling was very very precise despite of that tall height and it quite perfectly followed my instructions that i still remember the feel of that brilliantly balanced streering. may be then i realized that why almost all auto enthusiasts are crazy about the swift, with a proper height and the amazing rally based suspension.

I liked the car from in and out, especially the quirky(i.e strikingly unconventional) rear section with the signature boomerang shaped tail lamps which look awesome in the dusk and at night.

From the front the audicious grille looks quite good.The interiors are found to be much more spacious than the Swift n more practical.the pop-up tacho looks nice.

I liked the overall appearance of the car n it appealed to me quite well.

Thanks to all for your reviews!
I had td Ritz ZXi when it was launched in may 2009.I had driven it in the rush hour traffic noon.
I was mesmerised with the way the then all new K12M motor comes to life as soon as foot is pressed on the pedal.And i started to push it harder and tested the stability ' date='but it handled quite well. While overtaking, the handling was very very precise despite of that tall height and it quite perfectly followed my instructions that i still remember the feel of that brilliantly balanced streering. may be then i realized that why almost all auto enthusiasts are crazy about the swift, with a proper height and the amazing rally based suspension.
I liked the car from in and out, especially the quirky(i.e strikingly unconventional) rear section with the signature boomerang shaped tail lamps which look awesome in the dusk and at night.
From the front the audicious grille looks quite good.The interiors are found to be much more spacious than the Swift n more practical.the pop-up tacho looks nice.
I liked the overall appearance of the car n it appealed to me quite well.
[/quote'] Its good that you already like the Ritz, now test Beat too & decide with which one you wanna go.

@CB, well yes, even i love the bakers chocolate color in Ritz but only with those alloys i have seen, Cayenne type copper color alloys with ivory shade front grille and it just looks too good.

Hello bluesapphire!

I had also td the Chevrolet beat. It's a nice car but it is low on space as compared to the ritz. although the engine is nice.I liked the way it thunders while accelerating it.

Thanks for the Suggestions.

Frankly speaking, I didn't liked 'the Fusion' like retro looks of the Ford Figo. It seemed to me as an old car which has been here for several years.

I think Ritz will be a good choice......

If no Beat or Figo, then Ritz is perfect for you. Although Figo is a very good car & will fill in all your requirements easily still MSIL A.s.s is far better than Ford.

Also have a look at i10, its a nice car but slightly smaller than Ritz.

I suggest you look at the Beat and test drive it as it fits your budget. It is small and has lesser space compared to the Ritz. Ritz is a great car but you might need to extend your bedget and since you have been with Maruti, continue with them.

Hello every body!

I,ultimately going through a tough session of thinking and testing out various choices of mentioned earlier,have decided to go for a Ritz ZXi.

I would like to thank you ALL for helping me to settle all my queries about purchasing a new car of this segment well within my budget limits and with all those features which were on the the list as there is Rs.30000 discount is going on the car in my city including Full insurance worth Rs.14120@ Re.1,Maruti Genuine Accessories worth Rs.4800,Maruti 3rd year extended warranty worth Rs.2400 + Rs.10000 exchange bonus on my Previous car. being a Doctor i would also be asking for their special discount that they provide to doctors, engineers, govt employees, teachers etc. which woukd around 2-2.5k.

I think "The Ritz" has emerged out to be the best city hatchback with all those needs of practicality, comfi n smoothy ride,wide visibility with a commanding view of the road(thanks to the high cabin giving a big car feel as that of Honda CR-V without much compromising on the stability front with the softer set rear suspension),good fuel efficiency and the Amazing New K12M engine,which is acclaimed and awarded best in its class.

One thing that I am curious to know about is that,Is there is any color option for the dashboard on the ZXi variant. All the pics that i have seen on the net and the one i had driven had a blue colored dash but somebody told me that one can get the grey colored dashboard if desired in the ZXi variant.

Please let me know about that. n suggest some styling accessories for the Ritz.