arkboypunk1

Used Ikon, Accent or Fiesta (Diesel)

My grandfather, who was interested in a new diesel mid-sizer, after much thought, has finally decided that it is better that he buy a used mid-sizer instead of a new one. His budget is about Rs3-4 lakh. He plans to purchase the vehicle in Bangalore. For ousr budget, we are interested in the Fiesta TDCi, Ikon 1.8D and Accent Crdi. We would a post 2003 model, with not more than 50,000-60,000km on board. The vehicle will be driven on the non-existant/rough roads of Anantapur, a dusty town in Andhra Pradesh. It must be comfortable enough for my septagenarian grandfather, offer good seating position, and should not test him by having to spend too much time at the workshop. It should also be easy to manouvre. Please help us out by telling us which vehicle suites our criteria the best. Please suggest other vehicles (if any) which are suitable which might suit us (though I don't think we have too many other options). We would be grateful if you could also enlighten us regarding the evaluation of the car(s). 

It has to be Fiesta, good engine, cheaper spares & still in production. Don't ever consider the other 2 when you have budget upto 4L. Do take an expert with you when you TD, and you will be happy at the most.

PS- If you are lucky enough, you may even get a optra magnum in that price. 

Well Fiesta for sure as its much newer to both, Ikon 1.8D should be best ignored.

But if your usage permits, i think you should consider new Figo base TDCi, afterall new car has different feeling altogether. Also Figo is best described as Mini Fiesta, having good ride, handling, same engine, almost same driving dynamics, good comfort, good boot and easy to drive. I seriously feel that Figo should be considered being a new car obviously.

will your dad be chauffered or will he drive himself?

if he will be chauffered, its got to be the magnum or fiesta.

if he intends to drive himself, the accent it is.

you can pretty much forget about ikon.

will your dad be chauffered or will he drive himself?

if he will be chauffered' date=' its got to be the magnum or fiesta.

if he intends to drive himself, the accent it is.

you can pretty much forget about ikon.
[/quote']

Why so, Fiesta is good to drive than other 2 you mentioned. Also Magnum is very good to drive though its dynamics arent as good as Fiesta but Accent does not have either!

@ BS

fiesta is a hoot to drive, i agree.

but it will be a little tough to drive for his dad.

magnum has never been a good driver's car and will never be.

Yes dtandon.

A used Logan'll come at very Tempting price as the Prices of the New one have aleady slashed by 25-80k for BS-III variants & 18-65k for BS-IV variants.

Logan BSIII

1.4 GLE

1.4 GLX

Logan BSIV

1.4 GLE

1.4 GLX

Logan BSIII

1.5 DLE

1.5 DLX

1.5 DLS-ABS

Logan BSIV

1.5 DLE

1.5 DLX

1.5 DLS-ABS

And arkboypunk,

Logan is much much much better that Fiesta in terms of Control & Driving dynamics, only glitch with it was M&M vs Renault conflict resulting flagging Support for the Logan. As now M&M owns it fully, so benefitted will be its Service & Spare parts & their costs..

also its 1.5l dCi diesel engine is Superb, both in terms of FE, Driveability & Refinement.

& Its Spares parts are even cheaper than Tata too,

Make

Mahindra Renault#

Tata*

Ford*

Hyundai*

Ford*

Brand

Logan

Indigo CS

Ikon

Verna

Fiesta

Aggregate of parts
prices (Rs)

disel_graph.gif

for more details:

dr_nishu2010-04-29 22:06:39

Yes dtandon.

Logan is much much much better that Fiesta in terms of Control & Driving dynamics' date=' only glitch with it was M&M vs Renault conflict resulting flagging Support for the Logan. As now M&M owns it fully, so benefitted will be its Service & Spare parts & their costs..

also its 1.5l dCi diesel engine is Superb, both in terms of FE, Driveability & Refinement.

& Its Spares parts are even cheaper than Tata too,

[/quote']

Are you joking?, Logan is having one of the worst ergonomics or driving dynamics, its not a drivers delight in any way though it has good engine & ride, but seating position, handling, etc comes nowhere close to Fiesta. Also though spares prices are less in comparision by Mahindra, but have heard that its maintenance is pretty high. Also Ford have reduced their spare price heavily so this should help.

I am not saying that Logan is bad car, but its supremely spacious & comfortable while there is nothing to beat Fiesta when its matter of driving. Also the interior plastics & build quality is much better with Ford.bluesapphire2010-04-30 06:01:32

Bad driving dynamics - no. The fiesta diesel isn't exactly a driver's car either. And whats the point of discussing such things when it comes to picking a car for grandpa ?

Comfort is what matters most and the Logan wins hands down.

Bad driving dynamics - no. The fiesta diesel isn't exactly a driver's car either. And whats the point of discussing such things when it comes to picking a car for grandpa ?

Comfort is what matters most and the Logan wins hands down.

Well Fiesta is a driver's car & very good to drive atleast at the budget it comes. Though its for his grand father, he wont be chauffeur driven so car should be easy to drive as he already mentioned, though Logan too is easy to drive i guess Fiesta will be more so with better seating, light steering, better brakes, good rear visibility, smaller than Logan dimensions & smooth & precise gear shift. bluesapphire2010-04-30 08:47:04

Have you ever driven one for any length of time? There is absolutely no difference when it comes to the parameters you mention - except that the fiesta has slightly better rear visibility and that is it.

Logan's feel better put together and hold up well under abuse/rough usage - just look at any meru cab.

A fully loaded model of the logan with a hieght adjustable driver seat, lumbar support and ABS commands lower prices that the entry level fiesta in the used car market.

Why is everyone not considering the aaccent executive?

Hyundai. a.s.s. is far better than ford or mahindra.

it will make it an hassle-free experience.

Thanks everyone, for your prompt replies, and apologies from my side for a relaively late reply; I was travelling yesterday, and was not at home today.

My grandfather has his own veiws, and no matter how much I tried convincing him, -

1. He despises hatchbacks, as he is used to booted cars (the old days of the amby, padmini, et al), so he lost intrest in the Figo.

2. He is allergic to the Logan's looks and interiors, hence, though I tried convincing him that it was best suited for the rough terrain of Anantapur.

3. He is under an impression that petrol cars do give varying mileages.

So, he refused to look at petrol cars.

4. He does not prefer depending on drivers, so he will drive the car himself 

Please help us out considering the mentioned criteria. I too feel that the Ikon is not as decent a deal, as compared to the Fiesta, and Accent. About the magnum, it's size may prove too large for him to drive/park with ease in Anantapur.

He would like to know about the exact average FE of these cars.

Comparing the Fiesta and Accent, which one is a better overall package, considering that it may be sightly difficult for him to handle the larger Fiesta.

accent if you want hassle free ownership experience and great after sales service.

fiesta if you want more space,great driving dynamics and a status symbol as it is a segment higher than accent.

Also remember that accent being a segment lower, you are likely to get a better(and newer) car than the fiesta.

However i will give my vote to accent.

The choice is yours.

I shall discuss about all this with my grandfather again.

@winner48,

I don't think we will essentially be able to find a newer Accent, because-

the Crdi was in production from 2003 to 2006. And for the same price or a bit more, we  can get ourselves, a 2005 to 2007 fiesta.

Nevertheless, we may be  able to find a better accent.

Also, which is the best way to scout for used cars, because sites like carwale.com and carsalesindia.com are not responding properly to the enquiries we have sent them, regarding particular vehicles.

The proven facts are that Ford's are typically better in terms of engineering i.e. the driving dynamics which includes the ride/handling combination( best-in-class said and experienced by many and proved by autocar india itself), preciseness and crispness of the steering, overall control of the vehicle and so-forth....

hence it would be much nicer to go in for a used fiesta rather an accent or logan....avoid ikon as it is too old for a car to buy as a second hand car...

@n rahul

i agree that ford has better engineered cars but their sales service cant match up to hyundai.

I think that hyundai service is hassle free as compared to ford.

I very-much agree with you that hyundai has established itself as a brand people trust and is offering real good a.s.s, but Ford is on it's way of restructuring it's India operations and is not leaving any stone unturned to reach out to Indians.

There is a marked improvement in the a.s.s ford is offering and a completely overwhelming ownership experience...

keep-up the good work Ford....!!1