BonFre

Diesel hatch: Polo, Figo, Punto or Swift?

Which diesel hatch do you pick  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which diesel hatch do you pick

• POLO
    • FIGO
    • PUNTO
    • SWIFT

The diesel hatch segment is buzzing with activity & the contenders have their own USP's. Swift has been the un-disputed King since launch but now the competition has upped the ante but is it enough to challenge the King?

The fortunes of respective manufacturers depend on the success of their offerings & huge investments have gone in developing these cars in order to have a share of the pie.

Both Figo & Polo are the new entrants to the segment. Figo though an old design, has been refreshened up for India. Punto has been in the market for a while & its sales have plateaued, maybe because of the absence of a powerful motor.

Swift was updated for the BS4 norms & still looks very fresh. The likes of Nissan Micra shall be joining the segment soon.

Hyundai i20 which is doing good for itself has not been included in the poll because of its premium positioning.

So, vote for your choice & write a few words about the cars w.r.t. their looks(exteriors, interiors), space, practicality, ease of use, ergonomics, engine, drivability, ride & handing, gearing, FE, sales & service, spare part prices, desirability & VFM quotient, etc.

My vote goes to Figo eventhough I am a FIAT fan.It is extremely value for money and have safety features. Around 6L u will get the fully loaded version including ABS and Airbags.I feel missing power windows at the rear is not a big issue. Ford service has improved a lot. the only concern being parts cost. Both Punto and Polo with ABS and airbags are atleast 1.5 L more. Swift is too old and boring now , also low on safety compared to other cars mentioned here. All the cars have really good diesel engines. My rating for some of the parameters are as follows:

Looks: Polo>Punto>Figo>Swift

Space: Polo>Figo>Punto>Swift

Engine:Polo=Punto=Figo=Swift

Service:Swift>Punto=Figo>Polo

VFM:Figo>Punto>Swift>Polo

Safety@6L:Figo>Punto=Polo>Swift smiley1.gif

Swift DDiS diesel when launched here, raised the bar for the Diesel engine powered VFM Hatchbacks, especially due to its adoption of Brilliant Fiat's 1.3l Multijet engine as before its entry only Indica invaded the diesel hatch territory & that's in a Crude way with its too Crude NA engine & Mechanicals, with little or more company provided by Maruti's Zen-D, Palio-D, etc.

But Swift changed that all by leading the charts & points everywhere while keeping the Tata's only for the Basic 4-wheeler buyers.

Then came 2010 & Ford entered devastingly again with its Arms & ammunitions loaded in the form of Figo- A package that's too tempting, lucurative, affordable for all with No non-sense styling, P&D Engines, Interiors & Price & that's tooooo tempting that it Altered the lower bar(targetted i10)as well as the Upper bar(targetted Swift, Ritz) for the segment too in both Quality & VFM matters. Alongwith:

-Opening 28 Ford outlets in 24hrs.

-Ford's adoption of Child Parts stratergy for Efficient & Cheap maintenance.

-Provided alot better product than Tata Indica Vista at cheap than cheaper price, i.e at 20k less price.

-Finally, A Straight entry into the India's Top 10 best sellers with its 7210units sales during the 1st month of its launch. 
dr_nishu2010-05-03 19:51:07

It has to be between Polo and Figo. But, isnt there a significant difference in the pricing of the two cars. If I am not wrong there it more or less about a Lacs difference between the diesel versions of both cars.

Anyways, I like both cars and if I had to pick I would go for the Polo.

Figo is leading the poll but what do the initial ownership reviews have to say?

Are there any issues/problems cropping up in the car?

Also, the service & spares support for the Polo needs to be seen & so do ownership reviews.

Hope Polo doesn't go the Fabia way, which was launched with much fan-fare but soon lost steam. Remember Polo also has a 3-Pot motor, refinement, long term usage & drivability remain to be seen.

Punto too managed a good run to begin with but with long term owners speaking up, all wasn't rosy & thus reduction in numbers.

While there's a lot of good word about the Swift. I mean there haven't been any significant issues with the car except Maruti's well-known build quality & rattles.
BornFree2010-05-04 15:12:51

@BF

When Polo diesel prices were announced there was a mere 10000 difference between i20 1.4 Asta and Polo top variant. I dont think that difference is too big to be not included in the poll.

Infact I think Polo and Punto should not be in the poll. They are bigger than the other two by almost a foot in length, and also carry a distinguishably bigger price tag, espescially Polo.

This poll should be in two parts.

1. Figo, Vista, Swift, Ritz

2. Polo, Punto, i20, Fabia( if any one wants it)

However of the four mentioned I would have gone with Swift in a heartbeat, but for the fact that they dont have a ZDI version.

All the other three have questionable service, where while VW is an unknown quantity, Fiats name is not at all good and the only one moving in positive direction is Ford. So it would be Figo for me.

The Polo is my choice.Its German and I am sure that if VW does not mess up through the dealerships and the spares costs, the Polo will emerge as a leading choice in this segment.

It cannot match the sales figures of its main competitor viz. Swift and maybe in reality the Ford Figo will to outsell the Polo given the huge long list for the Figo.

@Rahul, I think you missed a very integral part when Polo prices were announced. VW was estimated to be loosing a whooping ~80k/car. Further its a known fact that i20 is the most expensive of the lot & variants start from ~quarter to seven lakh. Only top end Polo can reach there, if at all.

It would be absurd not to include Punto, which totally falls in the compared category. There isn't much diff. between Punto & Swift prices.

Another argument could say, why is Vista not included! Good point but guess I did not want to!

Talking of length, don't all fall under 4m stipulation, specially Punto for which Fiat carried a whole lot of work!

Regarding your poll options:

1) Adding both Swift & Ritz will only dilute the votes & the poll & Ritz is not an enthusiasts choice by default. Vista again is not a segment leader by any means, why mess up the poll!

2) Punto is the odd one out w.r.t. pricing & everybody knows where would Fabia stand in the poll!

With the present poll, I've tried to compare cars that could top the segment, Swift is leading at the moment but Figo is knocking at the doors. Polo could well turn out to be the dark horse no one expected. Punto tried, has the ingredients but is on a resting mode.

i20 is at the far end of the spectrum, has created its own niche away from the burstling segment.

@BF

When announced Polo Diesel 1.2 Highline(Top variant) was  priced 6.8 lakhs Ex Showroom Delhi, while i20 1.4 Asta is priced at 6.98 lakhs Ex Showroom Delhi. I feel those 16k can be attributed to a 4 cylinder, 15 bhp,  more features like steering mounted audio controls etc.

Also given that they were launch prices, the prices of Polo are expected to increase and therfore make th gap narrower.

On the other hand, Figo diesel is around 5.28 laks Ex Showroom.

So, now after the Poll results so far, it can be safely concluded that Finally a Time has came at which the MSIL needs to Sharpen its SWIFT-knife. i.e: Refresh & launch its new face-lifted version as early as possible.. dr_nishu2010-05-04 20:45:26

I think it's between figo and polo as both have arrived at the same time in the market.

Swift and the likes are quite here fro some time now and is due for a complete revamp.

Punto is a well-built machine but comes for a price and the dubious fiat's image which greatly affects the resale of the vehicle.

So, basically the safest and most VFM bet here is the ford figo. People who can spend and are truly obsessed with the solid ride and brand image of a VW, could try out polo.smiley1.gif

Cast my vote for Punto: For its look & handling and reliable engine.

Polo: -ve: engine feel crude but car is pricey.

Figo: -ve: Looks are of last generation.

Swift: -ve: beginning to feel dated.

Looks: Polo>Punto>Figo>Swift

Space: Polo>Figo>Punto>Swift

Engine:Polo=Punto=Figo=Swift

Service:Swift>Punto=Figo>Polo

VFM:Figo>Punto>Swift>Polo

1. Looks: Bulls eye- could not agree with you more. Polo is a real stunner.

2. Space: IMHO Figo is more specious than Polo specially if three adults are to be seated in back.

3.Engine: MJD of Swift is peppier and more refine than others. Although Punto shares the same engine, but MS has tuned it for better refinement.

4.VFM: Again spot on.

Swift Diesel for me.

It has the best diesel engine available in a small car, in the best state of tune.

Looks, Handling, Ride Comfort (they have improved the suspension on the new Swift), Reliability are spot on. I would have apprecialted an ZDi variant of Swift if there be.smiley19.gif

All the mentioned hatches are decent in space though not great. I felt the Figo's rear head room to be the least of the lot.

If all the 5 passengers will be more than 6 feet tall, consider i20 otherwise.

hey..just beacuse the motor is a three-potter it can't be termed as being lacking in refining. I agree that 3 cylinder engine geometry will not be as symmetrical as that of a 4-cylinder block,but still the engine is the latest unit from volkswagen and can't be just out-of-order...

It surely is not the most powerful of the lot..

hello everyone,

After looking at your requirements, I truly feels you should get your hands laid onto a well -looked after palio-1.6-GTX version. Sadly palio didn't had a future run here in India, and there are a handful of cars which are in fine state of work and in the above mentioned configuration...So dream's apart..

In my opinion, it's really worth to wait for figo/polo 1.6 petrol as both cars confirm to your second and third requirements,but only misses out on the first one.

That issue too will be addressed soon, as the rumors go-by...