arreddyy

8 Years with the Best-Seller

It's been just a bit more than eight years that flew by! Not that I have a supercar to describe in such manner! But it's still our first car. It's the ALTO ! Choosing a car wasn't a headache at that time. A handful of hatchbacks,unlike today's! Finally there were three contendor's; Alto, Santro and Palio. Note, ALL ending with O'ssmiley2.gif.

The reason of choosing these cars : All were fresh in the market.

Why Zen and Wagon-R were left out? Zen : A bit older compared to the rest, Wagon-R : The boxy design was pleasing none!

We could have bought a used, but, well maintained Maruti 1000 way back in 1997, but parking was a problem then! Coming back, these three car's caught us in dilemma.

First, the Santro. It was my li'l sister's favourite. Not that she knew driving the car or she appreciated the monospace design, simply because, SRK was the brand ambassador! I simply hated the way Santro's rear looked. Infact, I was in love with the Italian beauty! But i didn't force Dad to buy that car. I gave a thumb's up to the Alto! Why? Simply because it ticked all the boxes.

New car in the market - check

Good mileage - check

Easy to maintain - check

So, finally we booked the car on my mom's birthday and a couple of day's later the key's were handed over on 22-02-2002.

Colour : Miami Gold

Variant : LX

On-road price : 3,35,000/- with some accesories.

Straight from the flash back to the present. We havn't changed our car yet! Reason: Mileage done : 41500 . The car runs predominantly in the city, low maintanance cost,easy to park, still great mileage. The only thing we miss is, space, particularly when we visit our native place, when the car is loaded with people and with luggage. That's the reason the car is still with us!

I've learnt driving a car on this particular car. So, it's special to me. I like the low seating, the small steering and perky engine in the city. It's fun to drive in the city, simply because you can carve out the road space due to it's compact dimensions!

There is reason for Alto being a best-seller. It's because it's got all the basics right for being a good city car and a good first car!

Now, enough of good words! No car is perfect and so too is Alto! Like all the maruti's of that time, the rattling problem is pretty much there. Nowaday's the car rattles like anything. There is too much of a load on the engine,when the AC is turned on. The car has lost some steam through out the time. Low ground clearance. If the tires are not well maintained, the steering gets tough to muscle. And finally the space, not only the rear, sometimes the front too feels cramped.

Some more facts:

Car met with an accident : a couple of times

Tire's replaced : Once, six months back

Mileage : City :15+

Highway : 18+

Maintanance cost : 1500/- - 1800/- per annum

The car is pretty much going to be with us,as my sister and mom are going to learn the driving, and I can't take the risk to hand over the new car(which is due) for quite a some timesmiley17.gif. It's been a stressfree period with the car, and also some wonderful moments. Despite being out-dated, I would suggest The Alto to someone,who want's a frugal car in tight budget.

My alto is 6 years old. The car is spotless and without any major defect. I am also one such proud owner of a MSIL Alto. I already started my Alto thread but sadly with the recent data loss its all gone. So I will thank areddy for creating one. Even dr_nishu will share about his one.

mycark.jpg

image079a.jpg

image075.jpg

85704876.jpg

dscn2706r.jpg

image065o.jpg

Even dr_nishu will share about his one.

Sure, Why not sb !!

Here it is...

My 2005 Alto LXi in Silky Silver colour,

Mileage Covered till date: 69,780kms.

Fuel efficiency: City-16+kmpl(with AC),

Highways-20kmpl(with AC),

22-24kmpl(w/o AC).

94100562.jpg

That's Our Alto's Dashboard panel, Steering Wheel wrapped with Genuine Leather Cover from very 1st day after its delivery. dsc00633rn.jpgIts Centre Console with AmbiPur, Sony Xplod 5510 HU, etc.dsc00618wn.jpg

That's Driver Seat with Beaded Sub-Seat, its very effective during driving in Summer season,dsc00623uv.jpgThat's her Rear Seat with Centre Arm-Rest(Movable),dsc00626f.jpg

Sony Xplod 350watts Oval Rear Speakers on MGA Parcel Shelf & Much needed Doctor's Sticker, dsc00629.jpgdsc00612rear.jpg

Finally Resting in Parking place at our Home. Alongwith seen on the left is our Intra-City/Market Commuter Bajaj BRAVO.

That's All...
dr_nishu2010-05-16 10:28:40

@sb-alto and dr_nishu: Your Alto's are in fine condition and must fetch you both handsome rewards at the time of resale. smiley20.gif. @arreddy: Kindly post pics of your 8 year old Alto.

Durango Dude2010-05-18 08:57:01

I found the design of old alto better than the new A-star.It appears more balanced to my layman eyes.Its not snazzy and does not have unwanted body curves to make it look "modern", and has that honest look to it.

IMO Maruti should not have changed the basic design characteristic of the Alto when coming out with the new A-star.

@arreddyy, nice write up, definitely Alto is most successful car for Maruti. For city driving conditions no car will beat Alto. Pictures please..

@sb-alto,  wow.  You have maintained very well that too blacky. No one can tell it

@sb-alto,

Your car looks as good as a new showroom car. How are you maintaining it, specially the swirls which would be more prominent in black colored cars.

Installed today Suncontrol Glass Film on my Alto LXi for 5-Glasses(4-windows+1 tailgate).

& Here are its Pics,

1) Her Side Profile View with  Suncontrol Film fitted onto it,

dsc00686i.jpg

2) Tail-Gate Glass with S.Control Film,

dsc00688mr.jpg

3) That's the difference between Normal Windshield Glass & Filmed Side Door Glass,

dsc00692oc.jpg

4) And Its MVA passed & is an MGA recommended 'Garware Suncontrol International' Film,

dsc00691py.jpg

dsc00695hj.jpg

5) Of Ash Lite colour with:

Heat Rejection of 25-30%,

VLT range of 50-70% &

UV-rays rejection of 99%.

dsc00699h.jpg

All at Rs.950/- only alongwith Installation also.

Effectiveness: After their Installation, Surprisingly I noticed that my Right Arm during the Driving felt very Cool & Easy, Otherwise before that was always baked by the Heat Radiations coming from Window of that Glass.

And Effectiveness of AC is also Increased to many folds, as noticed in my Afternoon Driving.

Good, now your AC will be a bit more effective and car will get less heated up.

I am completely in favor of these Garware suncontrol films. They are cheap and value for money. I do not see any reason to put a costly 3M or V-kool in a car like Alto, howsoever good and scientific these may be.

Even my sun-film is Garware and it costs around Rs750 with installation. But I did not put any strip in the front windscreen. Just 4 windows and rear glass.

Nicely spruced up Nishu, esp the strip in front is good.

If I had your car, I would blacken the B-Pillar & smoke those tail lamps.

OT- Why did you put 50% for sides, I feel that would be a hinderance in night driving. I have Llumar 70% on sides 'n back. Sometimes I feel difficult even to drive with this.

Even my sun-film is Garware and it costs around Rs750 with installation. But I did not put any strip in the front windscreen. Just 4 windows and rear glass.

Thanks sb.

In which year you've Installed Garware for your Alto @750 bucks only ??

And that Front Windscreen Strip in not Included in the Garware kit' date=' Instead I've  got it Installed  some More than a year ago & that's for 80 bucks only &

Is an Excellent fixed Sun-shade for Driver & Front passenger. smiley1.gif

I would blacken the B-Pillar & smoke those tail lamps.

70% on sides 'n back. Sometimes I feel difficult even to drive with this.

Thanks bala.

Blackened B-pillars

are also on my Wishlist & probably will be the Next, but I'm

confused whether Blacken them with Mirror-Finish(Shining Tape) or with

Dull-Tape ?? smiley5.gif

& Let 'Wait n Watch' for the OT issue.

dr_nishu2010-06-18 18:16:48

Front Windscreen Strip in not Included in the Garware kit' date=' Instead I've  got it Installed  some More than a year ago & that's for 80 bucks only
[/quote']

Will you get this strip in Red color, am planning for one after seeing your car.

@Nishu, regarding blackening tapes.

The shining tapes are best. See those in Fiesta's. You may choose matt( those dull) tapes as it might impress you on Swift, but the international Swift comes with shining tapes. Do have a look at that.

PS- I took what you mentioned as mirror finish as Shining tape.
creativebala2010-06-18 18:22:12

@nishu :

I got those installed some 2 years back.

I would say a big no for blacking the B-pillar. A good stock looks nice. If by any chance it gets off, it will leave permanent sticky marks on the area. Now your choice.

My car is black. So everything black( naturally body coloured bumper and B pillar)smiley16.gif

@bala :

Red film ? Please dont. It looks cheap. Black is fine. If not then do not use any film at all.

Here are two side pics, where you can see the sun film. It is a bit dark compared to that of Nishu's.

dscn2239v.jpg

dscn3550o.jpg

sb-alto2010-06-18 18:55:50

Why did you put 50% for sides' date=' I feel that would be a hinderance in night driving. I have Llumar 70% on sides 'n back. Sometimes I feel difficult even to drive with this.[/quote']

'Garware Suncontrol Films Visibility-70%' is written on the Film pasted on my Alto's Side windows & even on my Friend's Indica DiCOR who've also Installed them a day before me & the Film on the Tail-Gate Glass is relatively Darker than the Side Glasses.

And We both have Installed it from Different sources & even different Cities.

Is this the Film pasting Man's mistake or else ??

But On the Positive side, We Both are Getting Excellent Results even at the Night Driving(infact better than the Stock glasses w/o Film). 

Any Alto user tried the new COSWORTH Air filter ? It is a washable air filter, without any oil or anything. These are of different material unlike K&N.

Cosworth has setup a facility in Pune and has air filters for all Maruti Suzuki. If anyone has any reviews about it please share it.