Sign in to follow this  
Cactus00

Pros & Cons of i20

http://archive.autocarindia.com/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5268&PN=1

This link should give you all the info you need about the car. Detailed review of the car by a senior member of the forum plus views of others too.

(last 2 months worth of posts missing-MODS)

Other comparison threads exist which you can search for.

hey, I think it's not really wise to go in for i20 at this point of time as multiple users are facing problems with it's air-conditioning unit.

Many have claimed that it feels like there is no AC in the car and only blower is being running.

In between you could try out the newly launched ford figo,which is clocking impressive numbers. Figo as a car is the best VFM package available today in the market,has loads of features,and great mileage for a diesel/petrol.

It's AC unit is one of the best systems available as Ford has used a 154cc compressor motor to do the job.

Don't take my word for it. Just go and have a TD to get a feel of things.....

Disadvantages:

1.Poor AC

2.Costly Diesel variants

3.6 airbags not available in Diesel anymore.

4.Lacklustre ride and handling.

5.Overservoed steering.

Advantages

1.Looks good

2.Very good equipment list for a hatchback

3.very good fit and finish.

4.Nice Diesel engine

5.Very good After sales support.

Hi,

I've not TD'd the Figo, But I fell if your ready to spend money on i120 then you can surely afford the top end punto.

Its a great car , ride and handing-> A++

Good FE.

However will have to settle for moderate A.S.S .. But that wont be required much as its once a yr service that Fiat guarantees ..

Its a very sturdy car, I must say because I own one.

I have my doubts when it comes to the Figo on this ground.

TD-en i20 1.2 kappa petrol Magna today & haven't felt any Serious Glitch in it.

Infact its A/C felt OK & good at Heat Scorching at 4:00pm today, however its steering did felt somewhat light but It was not that light for which It has to be considered a disadvantage/flaw. Anyways, I liked it..

Its engine seemed to be very Refined & Silent at Idle & barely audible on the Move, while overall the car felt very big & luxurious to drive with Insulated enough to feel distinct from the Surroundings.

Be precise, To me it felt good enough to wash out the Memories of the Recently TD-en cars-- VW Polo, Ford Figo, MS Swift 1.2 k-petrol, MS Ritz.

With Mileage of 15+ on highways & 5.36 lacs for Almost fully loaded Sportz version, It seems to be the Best buy amongst all I've above quoted/other Current cars of its segment.

While the base 1.2 Petrol 'Era' starts from- 4.51 lacs;

& base 1.4 Diesel 'Era' starts from- 5.73 lacs.

with their ARAI Certified mileages of 18.2 & 21.1kmpl respectively. 
dr_nishu2010-05-06 20:16:16

Even i have not felt any problems with AC. Moreover my 2-3 friends own i20 and have never heard anything regarding AC. Any source for your info @ Anshuman.

i20 is the best complete package, has everything along with Hyundai's service support & assured decent resale. To me its the best looking Premium hatch after Polo.

Even i have not felt any problems with AC. Moreover my 2-3 friends own i20 and have never heard anything regarding AC. Any source for your info @ Anshuman.

Please go through this discussion in another forum where a lot of i20 owners have admitted the AC to be ineffective.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/79494-weak-hyundai-i20-air-conditioner-edit-test-results-pg-4-a.html

I am not sure whether posting links from other forums is allowed here, if not please delete my post.

anshuman  you got it right..

I referred to this link only before posting my comments earlier.

Apart from that, nobody on this holy Earth could deny and argue with the laws of physics. Now, what I meant to say is that i20 has the same 1.2 puny kappa unit doing the duty as in the much smaller and moreover lighter car, with whatsoever no tuning being done to it's ECU module,  thereby putting out same output figures.

This translates into the fact that i20,being considerably more heavier is a slouch when compared to a swift or even it's own stablemate i10. Hence, a lot more amount of work is needed to be done by the engine to keep everything running. Here comes the key aspect,which is the AC unit. So, going by the facts, the same engine is running the wheels of a much heavier vehicle and the very same compressor unit being working to cool-off more roomier interiors.

Thereby making the car a slouch. However,things would be better up in the diesel version.

With the things shared above, I would just like to quote the very famous lines

" Appearances are often Deceptive"..

i just want to tell you that the weight of swift is 1005kgs and that of i20 is 1065kgs. that means the difference is only 60 kgs [equivalent to that of a medium built person]. so you can't say that i20 is very heavy as compared to the swift [which is considered performance king as it is perceived as a lighter hatch] . their engines' power output is also almost similar. so don't blame the kappa engine and call it 'puny in a heavy hatch'. Infact all the modern day hatches are using 1.2 lt. engines and their power outputs[bhp and torque] are lesser despite being heavier in weight than i20. Its just that Hyundai is offering a bigger 1.2lt engine in a small hatch like i10 has changed people's perception that its made for i10 only. Kappa engine is competent enough for i20 and it can do 90% of all things that K series and 1.2 VTEC can do and that too in a much better overall package.

@rahulgupta3101,

Test Drive i20 kappa petrol Once & feel the difference over the Swift K-series petrol.

-Its alot more Spacious & feels better built.

-Better Road Insulation.

-Better Engine Insulation.

-Better Driving Ergonomics.

-Luxury & Big-Car feel.

-etc..

Heard that Hyundai cars starts requiring maintenance after 2-3years/nearly reaching 1-lakh kilometres !

How much Is this true ??

Can anyone throw some light on this !!

Hyundai owners or known to them ones..

Hey doc, Hyundai cars are really well-built cars. No such rumours are true about them. Hyundai manufactures dependable cars. Even the Honda CEO has said in his recent speech that Hyundai are emerging the top competitors to Honda. The quality of Hyundai is comparable to Honda, if not above it.

Bad Ride and Lacks Steering feedback

petrol performance at 2nd gear is week.

Great equipment list but no bluetooth

consider and TD the POLO and Figo before you make up your mind

Both Figo & i20 1.2 petrols are equal on performance but the former lags behind in the equipment levels & Overall Luxury appeal.

Even though Ford Figo's 1.2 petrol has just 71PS of power but each & every peny of it is well used there.

On-road there's not much difference between 71ps of Ford, 84ps of MS K-series & 82ps of Hyundai kappa driveability & performance but what actually lags behind them is VW Polo's 3-cyl 1.2l, 75ps petrol, there's considerable difference between the latter & all-above.

@dr_nishu

You are wrong on including the K series from MS here. Amongst the current 1.2 the Vtec and K series are in a different league. There is a small gap and then comes 1.2 Kappa and then there is the 1.2 from Chevy and after these is the 1.2 from Ford and VW.

Ford 1.2 is a thrummy 3 cylinder engine and power which closer to a segment below if you see. What it has is a good driving experience, definitely not power.

I quote the ACI review below

There

@dr_nishu
You are wrong on including the K series from MS here. Amongst the current 1.2 the Vtec and K series are in a different league. There is a small gap and then comes 1.2 Kappa and then there is the 1.2 from Chevy and after these is the 1.2 from Ford and VW.

Ford 1.2 is a thrummy 3 cylinder engine and power which closer to a segment below if you see.

I respect what ACI said & you are saying, but what I've written here is what I've actually felt after driving all of them since last 3-4days.

Except Ford Duratec's, MS's K-series, Hyundai Kappa, Chevy's 1.2 S-Tec-II all felt lethargic in the 2nd Gear/2000 rpm's & Ford performed well there.

Even though K-series are One of the best engines, but weakens them are the Not so well Insulated/Designed lighter Bodyshells in which they are Plonked- which Dulls their Overall Capabilities.

A Proper & Consecutive TD of all reaveals all the Picture.

And the VW Polo's 1.2 engine is 3-cylinder not the Ford's, as the latter is 4-cyl, 1.2l DURATEC engine.

dr_nishu2010-05-09 12:02:16

@dr nishu

i have been using hyundai cars for the last 8 years and now i can say one thing safely that these cars are great in reliability and quality. much much better than the maruti cars i have used earlier[ zen and 800]. you have to live with the hyundai cars to believe them. besides the 2 dealers in ludhiana [godavari and pioneer] are great ,providing excellent A.S.S. My zen required a lot of regular maintenance than the hyundai cars. this says all.......

rahul1810@ I agree with you on this that the Hondas i-vtec unit is in a complete different leaue altogether. comparing it with that of hyundais 1.2 kappa is a anyways no-match.

In between

Aqua@ same reply to you. It is a known fact that i-vtec is one of the finest engines available today and are a notch above either the 1.2 kappa or even the k-series.

You could also find i20 being termed lathargic by many magazines.