udaybhanu

Big Confusion either to zero i20 or Polo

Hi guys,

Im trying to zero in on Polo or i20. Basically im looking for 1.2l magna or comfort line Polo. What confuses me is i20 is 4 cylinders and Polo is 3 cylinders. Also I drive mostly in city only and concern being im 6.1ft tall so legroom behind and at the driver seat should be comfortable.

How is the tech spec with AC when the vehicle is loaded with 5 people with AC on full swing? Now also the reliable part and service issues.

Please give me your suggestion guys.

If space is the big concern for you, zero on i20. It is much more spacious than a Polo. highway manners of Polo is way better than i20. Think this will not be a concern since you will be using the car mainly within city limits.

Both the cars are having somewhat low seating position. Thins may cause discomfort while frequent getting in and out to some. Make sure if this will not stand a problem for you before zeroing in.

Please test drive, critically see both the cars and also compare their technical specifications through brochures.

Hyundai is an established brand with a very good after sales service but is less tough as compared to the solid build of the German VW.

VW has to establish its credentials in India and they should not go the Skoda way to fleece customers as Skoda has been doing through their agents or should we call them dealers?

i20 seems to be the perfect one for you. Since space is a concern i20 has the edge over Polo. Rear of polo is a bit cramped and legroom and headroom is not that good. Moreover sales and after sales of Hyundai is far better than VW and cheaper too.

Problems with i20 AC is a recent news. Though I have not heard of any complaints about the AC from my friends who owns one, but some complaints came in recently. TD the car to know about it.

Undoubtedly i20 magna..

Both are equally Spacious at Front Seats, but where the i20 scores is the Sheer size, Luxury appeal with long list of features, where the Polo lacks despite its Best build quality & Fit-Finish.

And i20's engine is 4-cyl & is more Refined than Polo.

i20 makes more sense for you considering how the car offers a lot more features and is signifcantly more spacious than the Polo. Also there is almost 4 months wait for the Polo and VW has a back log of about 5700 deliveries.

Polo offers a certain leap in quality but I guess that is cancelled out by the fact that the ASS for Hyundai is unmatched. Good points for both.

Unless you are really smitten by the Polo and are willing to wait for 4 months, go for i20.

Hi guys' date='
What confuses me is i20 is 4 cylinders and Polo is 3 cylinders. - So i20

Also I drive mostly in city only - One more + here to i20, as i20 is EPS

and concern being im 6.1ft tall so legroom behind and at the driver seat should be comfortable. - One more + to i20 here, as i20 is more spacious at back
How is the tech spec with AC when the vehicle is loaded with 5 people with AC on full swing?

Now also the reliable part and service issues. - One more + to i20 here, as Hyundai is next only to Maruti in this dept.
Please give me your suggestion guys.[/quote']

My Answers in Bold

Though I love the Polo for its looks, I have to say, the i20 is a Fabulous car indeed. The only thing that really puts me off in the polo is the power, or the general lack of it.

Thanks guys for your valuable input. 99% percent of you guys have opted me on i20. I guess I had the same in my mind too. Just that VW cars have their own edge so was a skeptical about it. When compared to a SWit 1.2 K series and i20 Kappa Engine which do you think will farewell. I personally feel i20 is too good with its overall quality..

Your suggestion guys

i20 is the only right option for you. Polo rear seat is too much cramped and the person sitting there will have horrible journey.

No doubt K series engine is good but i20 is too good overall

Worst parts/features of Polo are:

-Weak performing & Shivering 3-cylinder engine.

-Rear Seat Comfort, even though dealers are saying that they are designed with taking Inputs from Orthopaedicians.

-Unknown Spare parts Costs.

-Weak ASS.

And these are the most Critical ones & that's enough to decide the fate of an Automobile here & Surprisingly i20 ticks all the above boxes.. smiley32.gif
dr_nishu2010-05-11 18:07:14

A few questions,

1. Do you want to stick to petrol hatch ?

2. Do you want a hatch or may be a sedan ?

3. Can you mention your daily driving and purpose of the car that you want to buy.

These answers will definitely help all to find the right one for you, since you have given the green signal to mention other cars as well.

My budget is max of 6 lacs with most of the accessories added. Which is why is saw a i20 magna 1.2l.

City driving in a week around 100kms.

I wouldnt mind the sedan if I get a good one in the budget.

I think with the amount of driving you mentioned diesel will be the better choice.

i20 crdi is the best diesel hatch no doubt and I would not recommend anything else, A diesel sedan is out of your budget but a petrol sedan is there. Indigo Manza Aura ABS , swift dzire Vxi, Ford ikon 1.3 and Accent Executive LPG are the options that you have among petrol sedans.

i20 is definitely a fine choice but you should be open to other options as well.

considering only the hatchbacks , take a test drive of both polo  and figo . Both are well sorted out cars .

figo offers you  a lot of features which are not available even in an i20 and at a much lower price.

polo is again  a very good car in practicality. It is solid built and a true german battletank. Build quality is top class and koreans just cant come close to that.

Also try out Ford fiesta or Dzire if you are very keen for a sedan.