Sign in to follow this  
BonFre

Features we want to see on our cars

The car market in India is growing by leaps & bounds & car makers are tripping over each to stay ahead in the features game. Some time back the scenario was completely different & Auto companies were doing all sorts of cost cutting & using scalpel blindly to cut costs & improve margins.

With the competition hotting up & almost all cars having certain features standard in the respective segments, the race to provide that something extra that could attract buyers fancy is at an all time high.

Not long back features like Power steering, power windows, central locking, etc. were not standard but now these are a norm. The most important safety features - ABS & Airbags sadly still continue to be optional, at additional cost.

Some features which I would like to see in cars of today are:

-Starting with safety first: ABS+EBD, Airbags.

-Telescopic steering adjustment: This feature is standard on luxury cars & some premium hatches but I would like to see this percolating down to economy class.

-Electronic drivers seat adjustment: Very convenient feature to have. Again present on high end cars but would like to see in smaller cars too.

-Better quality Headlights.

-Automatic transmission: I think this feature is really suited to our kind of driving environment. Should be given as an option on most cars.

-Paddle shifts: Give a sporty feel to the drive & are very convenient.

-Push button start/keyless: Its just marked its entry but needs to be there in most cars.

-Reverse camera: Necessary for sedans.

These are some of the features I could recollect from the top of my head, lets see what you guys would like to see in your rides!

P.S: Some not so essential features but never the less:

-Chiller/refrigerator: Boon for the great Indian summers & as we Indians travel with families, its important to keep the kids cool & stock our own food instead of eating from road-side.

-Tyre pressure monitoring system: This is an essential feature & imparts safety.

-Anti theft device/safety: As the quantum of crime is increasing, our cars should be more secure.

i would love to have:

superchargers (imagine Manza or Linea supercharged!!) LOL

daytime running lights

massage driver's seat

bluetooth connectivity

twin exhausts! LOL

race versions on sale!

@Archit, I think we should talk realistic & of essential features which we feel could see the daylight. Specific take on your wishlist:

-Superchargers: Economy is the main thrust in modern times.

-Daytime running lights: lights are there in all cars, its upto you to run them during day or night.

-Massage seats: it can't get more ridiculous than this. My thread is not about super-luxury cars/features.

-Bluetooth: again not an essential feature.

-twin exhausts: We intend to run a serious topic, no room for ir-rational talk.

-Race versions: don't you have better things to do, like Orkut, facebook or tweeter, do it for God's sakes!

Sb, almost all cars offer variants with Fog lamps. Though they cost a little higher than base variant.

I still don't know how useful a gear change indicator would be! Maybe its useful for learners & no need in an Automatic.

Tacho is must, more so on diesel cars.

Not all would want fatter tyres, remember FE is a major factor. Still one can always upgrade at will.

SUV's: the biggest thing that comes to my mind is - Monocoque construction.

Features like decent control, Altimeter, Barometer, Digital Compass, etc. come as the vehicles get expensive.

Some features could come handy in an SUV: Automatic wipers, headlamp washers, winch, underbody protection, skid plates, etc.

Apart from these, I can't think of much. Maybe other members who are using or have used SUV's can comment better.

The biggest change I want to see is, cars should be differentiated in terms of engines and transmission and not by features list, i.e all the safety features and the essential features as standard !

From the Safety Point of view:

-ABS.

-Airbags.

(hopes both the above get more cheaper & localised as soon as possible for Cost reasons).

-FPS-Fire Prevention System, first Fiat introduced this in Affordable cars from their Palio. Hope Tata'll also share this from Fiat apart from Multijets/Quadrajets, Blue5 systems, etc.

-Speed Sensitive Central Locking, like as of Ford Figo- It locks all the doors at speeds above 7kmph.

-2/3-Power Windows(Instead of 4- for Emergency purposes like during failure of Car's Electrical/Locking System) in Price Sensitive/Low-Priced cars.

OR

-4-Power Windows with Provision of One Manual Window Glass winder for above Safety reasons(Preferably of Driver's Side & fitted deep/hidden into the Door Pocket) in Luxury & Expensive ones.

-One Manual Lock in the Electrical Locking system featured cars(Skodas, VWs, Mercs) for Emergency exit.

-Hill Descent Control(earlier this feature was supposed to be Expensive one, but since Tata featured this in their 2010 Indigo CS, so it's easily feasible now).

-Tubeless Radial Tyres: As many cars from reputed manufacturers still comes with Tube-type tyres, like Ford, etc.

-Anti-Theft System, as BF quoted above: But Its not so Rare now as most of Auto manufacturers Introduced it, like MS's iCATS standard across the Range.

-Irritating Seat Belt-fasten Reminder, so that Passengers(at least Driver) are forced to Fasten it.

I agree with you Born free...But in a emerging car market like India which is so cost sensitive I doubt it.Yes safety features like ABS and Airbags should be made compulsory on all cars manufactured in India by the Central Motor Vehicle act.

bromley20102010-05-18 04:40:02

Driver seat height adjust should be mandatory. This is a very small feature but goes a long way in providing visibility of the road, espescially useful in bumper to bumper traffic.

If I look into comfort I would like seats with Lumbar support. Of the current cars I think only Vista has it.

Driver seat height adjust should be mandatory. This is a very small feature but goes a long way in providing visibility of the road' date=' espescially useful in bumper to bumper traffic.

If I look into comfort I would like seats with Lumbar support. Of the current cars I think only Vista has it.
[/quote']

XYLO has both these features too, amongst many other features.

From the days of Ambassadors and Fiats/Premiers, we have really come a very looooooooooong way.  I remember those days not long ago, when we never thought it would be possible to release the bonnet lever or boot lever from inside sitting in the driver's seat.  Filling radiator water regularly to fill-it-forget-it-Coolent, the technology has really changed the way we drive. 

While some of these are essential, many are given more for marketing reasons than for any practical reasons.   As every trick is used to place their cars at a higher plane (vis a vis the others), we are bombarded with many silly and stupid features. 

I am surprised and wonder why do we need to know the outside temperature which is displayed on the DDS of today's cars while comfortably seated in the AC car ?  Similarly, what's the use of knowing the  humidity levels ?   

I am extremely happy to have features like embedded glass antenna, rear wipers, reverse parking assists, central lockings, power windows, power steering, follow-me lights, theatre-like-dimmers, distance-to-empty, handful of symbols on my dashboard telling me that I need to fuel-up, buckle-up seat-belts and loosen-up the hand-brake.  Individual AC louvers, individual reading lights, individual adjustable captain-seats are welcome features too.  Not to forget the MP3 deck with steering mounted controls (but, I always prefer to have a regular remote), lumbar supports, flat-seats, food trays etc., etc., .   Alloys, tube-less tyres, ABS, immobilizers etc., are some additional features which I never thought I would ever need. 

I think I am a satisfied soul now. 

I may not need auto-wipers (I am not that lazy, as yet) nor I need any push-button-starts (I can still see the key-hole, thanks to the lighted ring).  I prefer manual gears for auto gears (manual gearing will give you the complete satisfaction of driving) etc., etc.,

Somehow, I feel satisfied.   Why should I worry to think about more such features which I may not really need or am unwilling to pay for ? 

Motoring should be just that.  Motoring.  No more or no less.

Not IT-driven motoring where you do very little.  And, let the chips decide what I need to do.  I hate it. 

I am surprised and wonder why do we need to know the outside temperature which is displayed on the DDS of today's cars while comfortably seated in the AC car ? 

Alloys' date=' tube-less tyres, ABS, immobilizers etc., are some additional features which I never thought I would ever need. 

I think I am a satisfied soul now. 

I may not need auto-wipers (I am not that lazy, as yet) nor I need any push-button-starts (I can still see the key-hole, thanks to the lighted ring).  I prefer manual gears for auto gears (manual gearing will give you the complete satisfaction of driving) etc., etc.,

Somehow, I feel satisfied.   Why should I worry to think about more such features which I may not really need or am unwilling to pay for ? 

Motoring should be just that.  Motoring.  No more or no less.

Not IT-driven motoring where you do very little.  And, let the chips decide what I need to do.  I hate it.  [/quote']

Specifically replying to points stated. I occasionally use the outside temp. meter & find it useful. Its an indicator to set the Auto. climate control & one can adjust the temp. before getting out of the cooled car to avoid the sudden temp. change to hit your body & catch a viral infection. Sometimes awareness towards a feature goes a long way in accepting that particular feature. Humidity control feature is again useful for selecting the setting of your A.C. & keeping the smoke off the windscreen.

Your next point about Tubeless tyres, Alloys, ABS & immobilizer, Im sorry to say but you seem to have a very limited knowledge about safety & features. Wonder what you have been doing so far on the forum. There have been countless informative threads on safety & we on the forum have always been advocating & stood by safety.

Tubeless tyres & ABS are the most important safety features in a car. Feel lucky if you have them on yours. Alloys are lighter & stronger than conventional wheels, not to mention look fabulous too. Even a kid would tell you the importance of an immobilizer, its an active anti-theft device. We are asking for more such features to safeguard our cars.

About auto wipers, push button start & Auto gears. Its your personal choice.

I & many find auto wipers convenient similarly to power windows, auto lock, etc. Push button start is a new feature for Indian cars, useful during night & saves the lock(look at old cars locks, they usually need replacement due to damage from key). Automatic gears is a great-great feature about which Indians are not aware. One can only know of its importance after having driven an automatic for a considerable period of time & distance.

Great that you are satisfied! Who said we are not, we are just mentioning additional features we would like to see in our cars. Remember its the generation before us that demanded the features that are now standard, which you seem to be enjoying. If we won't ask, we won't get, its simple!

Who's forcing you to worry & think, stay calm & give this thread a miss! You've missed the basis of this thread, we wish for these features to come as standard with no extra costs. Auto makers have huge margins on cars & as competition hots up, margins climb down & new features trickle in, its a win-win situation for the end-consumer. We are mentioning the features we want, so that we are not given the features we don't need. Also, there are always the lowest variants which are stripped of features, you can always buy that variant, we are not killing your market! Also, if you study the latest trends, loaded models/variants are having significantly higher sales that the bare bones ones. Which proves that majority of consumers want more features.

"Motoring should be motoring", I don't know what sort of a comment is it! Even with features, its gonna remain "motoring" just that it will become more comfortable, effortless & fun! BTW, AMBY is still sold, lay your hands on one before its taken off the shelves & enjoy pure motoring!smiley36.gif

@rameshbabu

Tube less tyres are a huge benefit. Imagine going at 90 kmph at one of your tires going bust. With tubeless tires airs come out slowly and thus accident is prevented, cos ijn case of normal tires even schumacher looses control!

How do you feel ABS and immobiliser are not important. They are very important safety features and many governements all over the world are no fools to make it mandatory. Immobiliser is a security system that locks the cars and shuts down all the electronics and raises an alarm in case of unauthorised entry or as some would call it theft. Do you not think an alrm should be raised and car should be stopped?

Alloys are for better looks. Who wants ugly cars? People want their cars to look better and so they put it.

Even F1 cars have a huge deal of electronics. Jenson Button could not perform better in the previous race because he had an electronic failure. And mind you I ma talking about a world champion.

We need electronics. Everybody does. A 4X4 vehicle has an electronic shift from 2WD to 4WD. Is that not real motoring.

Pressing a wiper button to activate your wiper is not motoring. A 10 year old kid can do it on seeing rain.