sb-alto

Alto 04 - Maintenance and Service details

I will use brushes of different sizes. Spray gun is not needed and can be risky. I do not want want to end up with paints in vital joints or on the CatCon. Brushes will be fine. Moreover there is no need for a super smooth finish for the under-body. So spray gun is not really necessaryI do not have any lifts or anything. Me and my Dad will do it together. I will slip under the car with a mattress and do the job. I have given it a mock try and it works. Gloves' date=' swimming goggles, and a rain coat are three important things to wear to carry out that painting job.

[/quote']

He He smiley36.gif Funny.

Sbalto all the best sir.

Hope you post the pics soon.

I do not have ....... .       ..  ......... that painting job.

SB,

It will be difficult to move the hands under the alto. But as you have purchased the material, I think you some proper planning of work. Keep us update. It may be good for any car.

@Neeraj :

It is a difficult job, but it can be done. I have checked the possibilities. I will keep all you people informed and post the pics. I am a thin built guy. So should not be much of a problem going under the car. smiley1.gif

@ Alok Mathur :

Yes I have got plans and the materials ready. I know that it is difficult job, but it would save money, time and the car. So all ready for a DIY job. And this is not to paint the complete underbody. Just local areas showing bare metal. It should not take much time. Since monsoon is on the door, this is much needed.

Actually, there is a concrete ramp very near to our parking. So I will use that to get some inclination of the car. That is about 10cm high. 2side wheels will stay on the ramp while I go down. The other side to go up next when I will be done with that side.

I got the sand/flint papers, painting brushes and some cotton+satin cloth (to prevent paint drops formation )

dscn3721k.jpg

dscn3726l.jpg

dscn3723g.jpg

sb-alto2010-06-13 08:17:09

Car wash(along with a BP pump) is there near our house. But the problem is that, they will not leave the lift to me, if I say that I will do it "myself". They will obviously pressurize me to get the job done by them and get a payment for it.

Moreover Car wash lifts has got a deep gorge underneath for water drainage. So it wont be possible to stand just beneath the underbody and do it.

I am not ready to pay anything to anybody for any work which I can do myself.

Car wash(along with a BP pump) is there near our house. But the problem is that' date=' they will not leave the lift to me, if I say that I will do it "myself". They will obviously pressurize me to get the job done by them and get a payment for it. Moreover Car wash lifts has got a deep gorge underneath for water drainage. So it wont be possible to stand just beneath the underbody and do it. I am not ready to pay anything to anybody for any work which I can do myself.

[/quote']

Self-Service for your Beloved Alto is really fantastic,Sir.Hope you do it without any mess or problems.

All the Best,Sir

sb_alto did not view this thread since long. Seems a tough and promising DIY job will be under way very soon.You will learn more and more by doing it all by yourself. The many things we learn cannot be sometimes expressed in words, but these get embedded in our hard disks for future works of that kind.

Now you will also be able tell us more and more about such jobs to add to our knowledge.

anjan_c20072010-06-13 15:36:24

Thanks Sir, I will definitely learn and help all to learn.

I will keep everyone updated.

This job will take some time, but if done properly should yield good results. The tough job is not the painting but the thorough washing of the underbody. I have already studied some materials on metal painting and rust-check painting.

I have bought a Vim  dish-washing liquid to wash the underbody, to make it free from salts and dust. But the application is tricky and is similar to that of painting with a brush. (making foam in a bucket and applying it with a big brush). The foam will help getting rid of the dirt while the brush will work like a mild scrubber, scrapping of tough stains or dried mud. Lets see, how much I can do.

dscn3737c.jpg

sb-alto2010-06-13 19:57:34

I will be careful with dish washing liquid. It may be too strong!

Any alternatives ? Should I use washing detergent instead or Normal Car wash ?

I thought of dish-washing liquid because the under-body is mostly Iron and Steel with a rough finish. People use dish washing liquids for tough stains and grease on iron "kadhai". So I thought of using it. I searched for dedicated under-body cleaners, but did not get one. Had a bottle of Sonax bought from Bangalore, which is finished.

I would see it I can get Teepol. It is the base of all detergents. At one time it used to be available at regular grocery shops. Otherwise I will try lab chemical suppliers. This is the common washing agent in labs. Dilute Teepol 1:2 or 1:3 before use.

As an alternative you can try car shampoos.These have to be mixed up with water, diluted and then applied.Some are really good and these help wash off the grease and oily deposits apart from the dirt and grime.Again you can apply it with a thick, cheap, paint brush about 2 inches wide.The brush helps your hand not coming in contact with the shampoo and at the same time the dirt can be brushed off.

I have got Car shampoo. I guess I will that only as I could not get Teepol. Yes I will use the brush as suggested.

Tomorrow I will start with the scrapping off part.

Will upload pictures tomorrow. Planning to put the first coat of primer tomorrow only if I can finish the initial work quickly.

Do Try some Hard acting Detergent powders, like Rin, Tide, Wheel, etc for its Underbody surface cleaning.

No need to use High quality detergents- Ariel, etc, as the formers are alot better for Such purposes.

Also try to avoid over/strong use of Sand papers there.

Gud luck. smiley20.gif

@nishu:

I used sand papers to scrap off certain areas where the rust was a bit flared. Unless I scrap it, how will i apply primer and paint.

I have already completed half of the scrapping work. Now left is the thorough under-body cleaning. First I thought that I will clean first and then scrap. Then I thought the other way, as the dust of scrapping will again create a layer. So started the use of sand-paper today.

Here are the pictures that i snapped :

The Roll bar.

dscn3738.jpg

Rear suspension arm

dscn3743y.jpg

Underbody areas :

dscn3742f.jpg

A iron plate (thin) covering pipes:

dscn3749g.jpg

fscn3752.jpg

The underbody is altogether clean and except for some local rusty areas ,there is no major damage or rust which is of very high concern.

dscn3750.jpg

Good work dude..

But I think haven't read my last post carefully, as I've Advised you to avoid overuse or Strong use of Sand paper.

First I thought that I will clean first and then scrap.

First washing is best then followed by the Sand paper use, as using SP first will lead to its clogging & its unwanted wastage &

On drying after washing leads to formation of Rust layer again there.

So, SP usage at the last serves the purpose best, followed by the coat of Primer. 

Done with the scrapping and scrubbing part. Thought of applying the first coat of primer today only, but it rained heavily for a long time. So will have to do it tomorrow.

Saturday I will go for a road trip, so need to complete painting work by Friday.

Done with painting the underbody. Almost painted the whole part leaving areas having joints, nuts or pipes.

Will be leaving for a road trip some 500km away tomorrow early morning. (say 5am). Kolkata-- Shantiniketan--Bakreshwar--Masanjore--Kolkata. its a 3 days trip. Will come back Monday evening and will upload all images then. Both the trip and underbody. Will remain busy today.

I will upload some camera pics for better clarity.

This was a easy DIY job ,but requires cool head and patience. Many of you can save some money by doing it before monsoon.(specially those who have 5years+ cars)