sb-alto

Alto 04 - Maintenance and Service details

@sb' date='

Haven't you painted your Alto's underbody surface with Anti-Rust paint ??
[/quote']

Yes, the above photos are only taken after cleaning the under body. Check the heading before the photos. I haven't yet uploaded the painting pics. Will do is ASAP.

Sb_alto the person going to buy your alto is really going to be lucky.

I will try to keep the car until it gets the tag of a "Vintage". A 6 year old petrol car is delivering 24kmpl in Highways. I do not see a reason to sell it anytime soon.

Actually I was having,
Done with painting the underbody. Almost painted the whole part leaving areas having joints' date=' nuts or pipes.
[/quote'] in my mind, while watching your car's Recent pics & thought you've wrongly posted that above recent pics.

& noticed your reply
Check the heading before the photos.
way to Talk/Reply some Indifferent n Awkward & that's why felt

Don't get angry...
dr_nishu2010-07-01 16:46:42

Must have been some miss-communication. Sorry if I have hurt you !! smiley19.gif

I will upload the painting pica ASAP to avoid any further confusion.

Another DIY job coming :

This time to change the HU to some New HU (which i will buy)

sb-alto2010-07-01 16:51:11

Sb_alto the person going to buy your alto is really going to be lucky.

I will try to keep the car until it gets the tag of a "Vintage". A 6 year old petrol car is delivering 24kmpl in Highways. I do not see a reason to sell it anytime soon.

Hope you do!

Great going sbalto.Looking forward to seeing more pictures.When Marutis were launched in 1984, the media raised a hype that Japanese cars are meant to last five to ten years due to the poor build quality.That's a myth now as many examples of even the older 1984-86 Maruti 800 (SS80X)  still survive.

Off topic- another hype the media created around 1984-85 was that the Japs are coming in a big way (bikes, cars, UV's) but given the quality of workmanship done by our roadside mechanics, the repairs of these machines will have to be done at company service outlets.Again that was a myth. Today some roadside mechanics do better jobs than some authorised service centres- some such mechanics have been trained and have worked with the company service centres, but have now established workshops on their own.

anjan_c20072010-07-01 18:29:41

@anjan: Unfortunately the restrictive attitude towards spares, and documentation reduces the 'third party' maintenance availability. Also, the failure of our independents to embrace technology, esp. computers to access the OBD is another issue. I hope the Bosch and Khattar initiatives come to something.

Some photos after the "primer- Red oxide paint" was applied. The final colouring pics are yet to be transferred from Camera to PC.

Gloves for hand

dscn3866r.jpg

Polythene cap for head

dscn3867.jpg

Front towing hooks

dscn3873m.jpg

dscn3874l.jpg

Under body and roll bars

dscn3876w.jpg

dscn3880t.jpg

dscn3878.jpg

dscn3877.jpg

There are too many frivolous posts, many not in good taste. So be warned and do not crib if action follows.

TEAM - ACI

BornFree2010-07-02 17:51:35

The primer was applied to the already rust prone areas, or the areas showing some bare metal. But the black paint after the primer was applied almost all over the under body. Areas without primer was also coated with black paint.

Here are some more pics :

Note : Black paint over primer as well as non primer zone

dscn3885i.jpg

dscn3887.jpg

dscn3889v.jpg

dscn3895.jpg

dscn3899b.jpg

sb-alto2010-07-03 17:34:57

Two coats of primer and one coat of black paint has been applied. Now if situation requires more paint job then I will do it after some gap. If I do this at least once a year from now on then it should not initiate rust again.

@dtandon :

Yes, the primer was dilute. It was graded 34-100. I should have bought 60-200 meant for iron cables. But two coats should do the job for some time. My aim was to make sure that no further rusting takes place.

Good work dude..

But as visible from the last two pics, seems that you've also diluted the Black paint too much or You've not painted there properly as the Red-Oxide paint is very much visible there & it'll also Spoil the looks as visible form the Dead Rear,i.e: the Roll Bar.

Do Paint the Superficially visible parts again to get Black Glossy looks & off course Better Durability.. smiley20.gif 

Good work dude..

But as visible from the last two pics' date=' seems that you've also diluted the Black paint too much or You've not painted there properly as the Red-Oxide paint is very much visible there & it'll also Spoil the looks as visible form the Dead Rear,i.e: the Roll Bar.

Do Paint the Superficially visible parts again to get Black Glossy looks & off course Better Durability.. smiley20.gif 
[/quote']

Yes, this is one point which I need to ponder on again. Just for the sake of good looks and more effective protection, I will give one more coat of black paint tomorrow.

If possible I will open the door panels to paint the interiors too.

Recently the car has developed a mild "kit-kit-kit" noise from the right rear wheel. The sound starts as soon as the car rolls and continues for a hour or so until it disappears. It also stays while the car is smoothly cruising in Highways.

I tried to find if something is messing with the wheel but found no such obstruction . Just wonder what can be the reason for it ?

Any idea ?

@sb,

Have you driven your car on the Water-logged roads in last few days ??

Thas sound seems to be coming from the Imbibed Rear Brake leathers or Remotely may be due to a Dried/Worn-Out Rear bearing(very Rare chances).

Get them Inspected for Once at MASC for free, since you've Recently paid alot money to them for Repairs, around last month.

Has this got anything to do with driving in the rains ? Yes driving in heavy rains and waterlogged streets are common now. Should I leave the car for 2 days and see if brakes have dried ? 

Two things. The discs dry out fast. The drums take a bit longer. Just drive carefully, with some gentle braking, or even with the brakes partially engaged to dry them off. I am told that one contributing factor to linings de-laminating is moisture. If this is true then drying out the linings is the referable route.

I will not leave the car idle for a couple of days but will try and get as much of the moisture out as possible by running it.

Fine then, I will try to take out the car for a spin today. Last two days was drier with light rains. So I wish the brakes dries out with some driving today. Will concentrate on partial braking too.

With just a month or two after service and brake overhaul i did not expect it to behave this way. Or is it natural in any point of time irrespective of service ?

sb-alto2010-07-28 09:29:33

Got 3 scratches today smiley6.gif. This is the first time in 6 years that the car had a prominent scratch. Although hairline, black colour makes it look bad.

The car was parked in a nice parking lot when a cyclist came with "doodh containers" and his contained scratched a part of my car below. Very disappointed.

Photos tomorrow.

sb-alto2010-08-29 18:58:14

Got 3 scratches today smiley6.gif. This is the first time in 6 years that the car had a prominent scratch. Although hairline' date=' black colour makes it look bad.

The car was parked in a nice parking lot when a cyclist came with "doodh containers" and his contained scratched a part of my car below. Very disappointed.

Photos tomorrow.

[/quote']

My sympathies with you. Do get them retouched soon as these scratches scratch our weak minds, when it comes to our dear cars.

Most of us are stronger in other departments, but not in respect of  any bad news related to the cars/bikes we own.