sb-alto

Alto 04 - Maintenance and Service details

It is a serious matter of concern now. The following are the things that make me worry:1. The crack is on the mainframe' date=' so any repair, if professional will require to strip the car and bring the engine out, dismount the suspension and the affair will be costly. [/quote']

It won't be that much costly as much you think.

Just Electric welding across the crack & cross metal striping over it can do the job fine.

I've seen the same on the Zen whose rear section Spot welds gave away their jobs due to the hectic usage of its user.

2. Will this repair be permanent ? Will it not crack again with time ? Will this weaken the entire body ?

Don't expect same level of rigidity as original one.

I've seen that these re-furbished car shows somewhat difference in their characterstics' date=' either in Handling or High speed stability.

But still it'll do the job fine for Regular usage.

3. Will the area rust after the repair ? What kind of repair is expected ?

Yes.

If not immediately, it'll remain prone to all the time.

However, Rust preventing Red-Oxide paint can delay this process but a keen eye is always needed to check its condition sometimes.

4. If cost of repair is high' date=' is it worth spending money on a car which has depreciated a lot in the past 7 years?.

[/quote']

Go for repairs from MASC only if you're having its full Insaurance, else opt for any Reputed Service Centre.

This is a situation where head comes over heart. The big question is : If it is repaired' date=' will it be safe running the car for long ?

[/quote']

Even after repairs from MASC, I don't advice you to retain this car for long.

Replace it with a new one as soon your conditions allow.

Ok, this MASS guy who visited my place today said that the damage is critical, but he was unsure about the cost. He said that he needs to consult with the guy who does the body work. I will have to take the car to MASS anyway to get a clearer picture. He assured that the car can be driven and there is no need of towing it.

Had a talk with dad, and he is giving a thought about buying something new.

A few questions :

1. How much price can it fetch now ? I expect about Rs90000~Rs110000.

2. Lateral upgrade ? How about a used Baleno Vxi, Esteem Vxi, Swift, ?? I expect these for around Rs1.5L

3. Which new alternative ? Ok, I am not expecting anything like .."a polo 1.6"smiley36.gif

@sb-alto

I think you are expecting too much for your car.  Getting about a lakh for an

Alto, with 85K on odo, is not that easy.  It may be possible in Kolkata but in

AP, it will not get that sort of money.  Around 60 to 70K looks reasonable

as there are many Altos available in that price point (even with less than 50K on odo).

Similarly, you need not pay 1.5 Lakh for an Esteem now-a-days.  You can

get good running condition Esteems & Balenos for less than a lakh.  I am

unable to get a buyer for my Esteem Vx, with only 29K on odo, for even

75K.  That's the condition of market in AP. 

So, revise your estimates and then look for options.

@rameshbabu:

Yesterday I have spend some time searching the internet for options. Got to see a lot of esteems for less than a lakh, but the problem is the year of production. Most are 2000 and back, and a few 2001-2002. For cars after 2005 prices are around 1.5L or more.

Same is the case with baleno here. I do not understand why and how baleno still holds a strong resale value in the market.

Most of the cars I have found has nearly 50k on the odo.

Actually I am considering that price to bargain. Since I will loose some on that cost, I expect it to come down to 70-80K. If I start at 70, I will have to come down to say 50-55K. smiley11.gif

Guess what the Local MASS guy told me yesterday, "Saar .. gaddi ko 20,000km mein gira dete hai" (Tamper the meter to 20k on the odo). " Gaddi itni saaf hai, kisi ko pata bhi nahi chalega"( The car looks so neat that one will believe in 20k odo) smiley36.gif

sb-alto2011-10-20 05:19:40

Hey SB,why aren't you considering an i-10?

Actually right now I am in a mood of selling my i-10 because i have convinced my father for a Jazz in January/Feb so maybe I'll be selling it and it make a good deal too(for you,not me).

Mine is a 2009 Kappa Asta with 68k on the odo and a complete service as well as repairing record from the Hyundai authorised service center.

A few questions : 1. How much price can it fetch now ? I expect about Rs90000~Rs110000.

That depends on the city or the market where you're going to sell your car.

In my city its pretty much possible.

2. Lateral upgrade ? How about a used Baleno Vxi' date=' Esteem Vxi, Swift, ?? I expect these for around Rs1.5L

[/quote']

Except Swift don't look for any other options like Baleno, Esteem, etc as;

-1stly, these are Gas guzzlers, so you'll be pinched hard as compared to the fuel bills of your Alto.

-These are Old-Gen cars, So their Comfort & safety levels are definitely not upto the mark as they're needed now a days.

-They're defunct cars now, so availability of Genuine parts might crop up as an issue.

3. Which new alternative ? Ok' date=' I am not expecting anything like .."a polo 1.6"smiley36.gif

[/quote']

Search for 2006 onwards Wagon-R(previous gen) or i10 or Spark, if you want the trouble free ownership for atleast another 3-4 years but don't expect these cutties to come below Rs.2 lacs, for good conditioned one.

Hey SB' date='why aren't you considering an i-10?

Actually right now I am in a mood of selling my i-10 because i have convinced my father for a Jazz in January/Feb so maybe I'll be selling it and it make a good deal too(for you,not me).

Mine is a 2009 Kappa Asta with 68k on the odo and a complete service as well as repairing record from the Hyundai authorised service center.

[/quote']

Umm, actually I was thinking, that if I have to buy a used one why not a sedan or a premium hatch ? I never thought of another small car(used or not). Secondly it is better IMO, to buy a car which has taken the depreciation hit before, say 60% of the price.

Still I will give a second thought about what you said. Isnt RTO transfer and all very complex for state-to-state deals.?

Except Swift don't look for any other options like Baleno' date=' Esteem, etc as;

-1stly, these are Gas guzzlers, so you'll be pinched hard as compared to the fuel bills of your Alto.

-These are Old-Gen cars, So their Comfort & safety levels are definitely not upto the mark as they're needed now a days.

-They're defunct cars now, so availability of Genuine parts might crop up as an issue.

[/quote']

About FE, I know and can understand, but some say that Esteems and Balenos are reliable, spares still available and FE is around 15-16kmpl overall. I am ok with 15kmpl but I seriously need a big boot.

Secondly I am not ready to spend anything more that a lakh or 1.5L on the used car. So newer used cars are out of range I guess.

If it is a new car, then spending around 3.5-4L is the idea. A new car has less headaches but say a 2006 Baleno vxi will give me hell lot for the money.

I intend to keep a used car for say 2-3.5years.

sb-alto2011-10-20 17:36:33

@sb,

I was in the pre-owned market not so long before.

Drop i10 & Baleno from your probables, i10 being madly costly to buy and baleno being madly costly to maintain.

Decide between OHC & Swift. Believe me, you hard earned money will never be wasted on these 2. Swift might be slightly costlier to maintain, but the other factors that comes with that will take care of the rest.

My choice would be OHC VTEC, if found a decent one.

@bala and others :

Good news.!! I dont have to sell my car. The estimated expenditure is Rs20K and claiming insurance will bring it down to just Rs4K. smiley4.gif

I went to MASS with the car and they suggested to redo the apron area and attach new parts to the chassis. So no welds and jugads.

A few snaps I took in the morning before leaving for MASS.

image204s.jpg

image205c.jpg

image206e.jpg

image207q.jpg

image211i.jpg

image209v.jpg

When Insurance co take the burden of changing the shell' date=' why worry unnecessarily? Chill out.
[/quote']
See SB' date=' I told you already, so its just a matter of 4k, so owe me a big treat.

[/quote']

Yes, yes !! I owe you one. smiley31.gif

At MASS. The car will be kept for 1 month. smiley3.gif. The entire apron area will be redone and that involves stripping down the entire front part, including engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes and bumpers.

image253w.jpg

image255u.jpg

@sb_alto: After seeing the pics I know why you don't want to let go of the Alto. Looks better than a new one, has received a lot of "TLC". If it's only a matter of 4K it's worth giving a try. Lets hope Maruti works a miracle to get the vehicle back to it's original form. After the vehicle is repaired be sure to put it up the ramp at the work shop itself and do a thorough examination before taking delivery.

@DD :

Thanks a lot. Yes, the car still looks new and one reason for it is that, I personally wash and maintain this car. I do not allow others to wash. I spend quite some time for polishing and detailing the car.

It is a matter of 4k now. Insurance guy was negative on the claim since it was not a hit and run accident, but a few calls at the Bajaj Allianz office did the trick.

I will definitely check the entire car before I take it back. If things are back to normal, the car will remain for say another 3-4 years.

The deadline of delivery was given on Dec1, but yesterday I got a call from MASS saying that the car is ready. So that was pretty fast on their part. Later I got a call from the Insurance wala, that only the left apron and cross member was replaced. Moreover anti rust coating in the newly done area and exhaust treatment was also done under the same expenses.

The previous quote was close to 30K and after insurance an additional 4k payment. But the bill has been settled for 18k now and all costs have been covered under insurance. So that is good news. I will be taking the car today around 2pm.

Till now I am happy with the progress. smiley1.gif

Guys, I took delivery of my car this evening. The repairs have been amazing and extremely professional. Total bill was Rs16655 and completely covered under insurance. I will upload high quality pictures tomorrow. The bill break up and workshop experience to follow. I inspected the car as advised by Durango Dude

Here are some mobile pics

image263o.jpg

image262l.jpg

image264b.jpg

image266v.jpg

Contd from the above post.

Some pics of the repair.

The cracked part is replaced by shiny black plates. In fact these plates are so shiny that photos are getting dull. I do not understand the need for metallic paints under the car.

p1010939o.jpg

p1010940g.jpg

p1010949f.jpg

p1010960g.jpg

One of the front cross member has also been changed since it links the two aprons on either side.

p1010958k.jpg

The exhaust system, starting from the manifold has been painted with heat resistant ceramic paint. The paint looks like silver but has a rough finish. Effective or not is still a question to be answered, but since it was included in the bill, I did not refuse. It also included underbody anti rust coating from metachem.

p1010956h.jpg

p1010957g.jpg

What happens when a service guy tries to clean the dash board with SURF Excel ? Answer is a disaster. Ok to be precise, this guy had a lot of time, so he decided to be kind to me and try his luck on cleaning the interior. When he called me to get the permission, I did not refuse. In general you would expect him to use car cleaning products right ?.

He opened the seat covers and gave it a wash with surf excel and found tremendous results. My seat covers are very clean now and cleaner than what it could have been achieved with detailing products.

Disaster strikes when he used the soap water to clean the dash. It became all white due to the alkaline deposition of soap lather. So to get rid of the white deposits, he used a reputed cleaning agent called DIESELsmiley3.gif.

Now my seats are clean and dashboard is yellow stained and oily. I was very annoyed and complained to the service manager. Manager came out to see the awful condition of the dash. He promised me to send someone from MASS to my house on 18th to clean it free of cost.

The clean seats.

p1010932c.jpg

Compare the door pads(which were not cleaned) and the dash board end. You can see some diesel stains on the window rolling handle too

p1010951h.jpg

The second stupidity came from the guy who dismounted the engine. While fitting everything in place, he forgot to plug in some harness in my car. Although it was my fault that I missed this while inspecting the car, but I later called the service manager again. He promised that he will actually send MOS

(Maruti On road service) van to correct the dash and that harness.

I still do not have any idea, what harness that is and what it does? There is no problem with any electrics on the car. Still it is a concern.

The harness

p1010937q.jpg

The harness on the suspension mount (Notice how they have stupidly painted the mounting bushes too)

p1010935v.jpg

A chipped of ORVM cover on the inside.

p1010966w.jpg

@DD

The repair part is extremely professional and can skip even keen eyes. No shortcut method here.

A few things which are different can be listed like:

1. The steering used to lock in a aligned manner before. It was in a line with the instrument cluster and looked nice. Now it locks at an angle of 30 degrees with respect to dash lines. Looks kinda odd

2. The brake pedal is making a thud kind of sound every time it is touched. The sound is not too loud, still audible. Brake feel is good and so is stopping distance.

3. Suspensions have got softer, I do not know how. Specially the front which was opened.

Some more photos of the newly repaired areas.

image275i.jpg

image276l.jpg

image277.jpg

New way of steering lock. The steering used to lock in a way as described by the photo below. The one after shows how it locks after

the repair.

image280j.jpg

image281j.jpg

Next, I tried my luck with fixing the harness that went loose from the fuse box, but was unsuccessful.

The harness

image271o.jpg

I wanted to check the bottom of the fuse box, but a small mirror was not available, instead I used CD to check the bottom. Bad idea, but does the job

image272t.jpg

The fuse box cover is opened to check a missing link. No luck

image273u.jpg

The fuse box dismounted to check if something is amiss. But no

image274g.jpg

Gained nothing but hands dirty. I guess I will have to wait for the MASS guys

image278.jpg

Went to the local MRF dealer to show him the tyres and to get a quote for the used tyres. He offered Rs200/tyre. Enough? Do you sense a tyre change? Yes. Very soon

image279i.jpg