sb-alto

Alto 04 - Maintenance and Service details

But will retouching jobs look good ? Many people complain of screwing up the area while doing it, even by professionals. Scratch is minor but I guess it is better to do a touchup anyway.

Here are some poor quality snaps

image146u.jpg

image147a.jpg

image140y.jpg

image154w.jpg

Only from day before Yesterday, I am facing a peculiar trouble. The steering is getting heavy just after 5 mins of driving. First I thought it was the tyre pressure, but checked it twice to perfect 30psi as recommended.

The steering is manual, and it was quite free rotating with movement. Now at both slow and fast speeds the steering is getting heavy.

1. Is this a problem with the old tyres ? (No uneven wear though)

2. Suspension trouble ? ( But ride quality is not bad)

and suspension arms and bushes were changed only some 5000km back.

I dont see how tyres can be a problem. If it was because of the tyres getting old, the change would be gradual but as you mentioned, the problem suddenly popped up which rules out it being the tyres.

@asethi :

Yes, even I am ruling out the tyre factor. And the problem happens after some running. Even slight movement of steering needs more effort than before. There are no additional problems

@DD

Yes, the scratches are fine. I have already waxed them and now they are less prominent. But can be noticed by eagle eyes. At times I wished I had those wax which scattered paint smiley11.gif

@SG :

Well, can this rack&pinnion thing be checked by me? or it needs expert help ? I mean is this greasing a DIY job ?. But if it happens to be the rack, then how come for a few minutes it runs fine ? The car has no tendency to pull to any one side.

Got my car checked from a nearby MASS. It was a problem with the steering shaft which ends on the pinion part. It was dry and had to be lubricated.

The inside expanded after some time causing resistance to the movement of the steering. The steering column had to be opened and the shaft lubricated. It was a rather tough job and took time about an hour just to open it and get it lubricated. Again fitting back took another 45mins.

Charge :

1. lubrication : Rs 70

2. One steering shaft ring : Rs92.50

3. Two nuts : Rs 8

4. Labor : Rs 180

Total Rs 371 (Including taxes)

The steering is now as good as new. Super smooth when rolling. The work done was also neat. No grease here and there.

Glad to be of help. Seems my diagnosis was more or less spot on.If there was a lot of  grease floating around then it could have ultimately shortened the life of the boots.

sgiitk2010-11-01 05:52:54

Thanks SG Sir, spot on I saysmiley32.gif

The greasing part was done neat. Moreover the shaft chamber is enclosed and possibility of dripping grease is minimum. On your suggestion even the rack and pinion gear like edges were also checked for damage, but found healthy.

@sb- Your car looks lovely as good as new - right time to sell and make a good profit( wheeler Dealers)smiley36.gif

BTW , Where did you go for trip( sorry for my ignorance).The road looks beautiful

Regards

Spock

I still get FE of above 25 on highways.

At what speeds of driving you're getting this FE ??

IMO, FE beyond 24kmpl for Stock Alto on Highways w/o AC is a distant dream.

With AC its around 20-22kmpl as per Driving Style & speeds.

@nishu

Speed is always at 60kmph or 65kmph constant. I do not change speeds. More over rear windows are always rolled up in highways. Front windows remain 1/4th up. Air filter is vacuum cleaned before every outing and tyre pressure is 31psi on all wheels.

Ok, today got a second hit on my car. I was in front of a traffic signal and had a "tata ace" in front of me. The carrier was out of the stop line and was idle for 5 minutes. Suddenly seeing a police wala coming it reversed blindly hitting my car. The bonnet had a dent and the bumper suffered big visible scratches. There are big panel gaps in the front bumper now. smiley7.gif

Sorry to hear about that man. Has happened to most of us I guesssmiley36.gif.

I had a cab centre guy ram into from behind and when I got out shouting at him and askin what the hell happened. He says ''Sorry sirji, break nahi lagi''. My brother dragged me back as I was about to loose it.

sb_alto - Sorry to hear that your got rammed by this Tata ACE.This sort of nonsense is becoming rampant nowdays.

I had narrow escape today when a Delhi transport corporation Bus was honking from behind , suddenly he rammed his accelerator pedal tried to overtake me in this process he nearly rammed my car  on right side- harrowing experience for mesmiley11.gif

These DTC buses have become now the new Blueline buses of Delhi!

Thanks everyone,

@DD: Even I do pray before setting out. But not everyday prayers are heardsmiley17.gif

Seems like I should improve my praying techniques. BTW the damage is not too much but . . .

@Spock : Buses are cruel and their "dont care" attitude is what I hate. Let Bus owners drive buses. That might help improve the scene.

I thought that only blueline buses had don't care attitude but today's incident makes me think whether Government of Delhi will take any responsibility if these DTC buses started killing people like blueline.did.

@sri k

Thank you so much. So happy to see you at least glancing 7 pages of a thread. smiley4.gif

Car delivers around 14-15.5kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic.

@Guys :

All dents are now repaired and repainted. Looks new now.

Only God can help. I say a daily prayer which includes my family' date=' me, my house and my car in that sequence. [/quote']

Let these kind of prayers be taught to every auto guys too, these guys drive as if they belong to suicide squad of al-umma.

@Sb, Pix of your refreshed alto plz!!  How much dent on your pocket?
creativebala2010-11-26 06:40:28