FuelRunGod

Maruti 800 - Is the Econo King Dead?

Which is why one dreads the result, I believe one should make use of whatever technology and talent that is available from anywhere in the world this Swadeshi idea should have been buried long ago

Tatas have had this idea of doing everything inhouse and look at the result a huge amount of experimentation done at the expense of the people that buy their cars they find so many faults with the products that they have made that they constantly have to replace designs sometimes leaving the owners of early models in the lurch as the parts for their cars have been remodelled and often cannot be made to fit get it right the first time do not experiment with customers having to undergo the pain

Maruti 800, I feel, is still the first car for many people in India, specially in smaller towns and cities. It is also the first on which many people learn to drive. It was my first car too and I simply loved it. Makes me remember of those great college days!

However, with changing times and coming of many more other models, it seems this car is marching towards its last stage. As they say, one who has born, has to die.

The Alto has pretty much taken the spot light away from the humble 800. But theres nothing better if you are on a really tight budget.

As they say, one who has born, has to die.

The Amby certainly has no idea of what you are talking about. smiley2.gif

FRG

In my opinion they have upgraded the 800 it is called the Alto I am assuming that they have let the 800 run on till sales reach a certain lower limit that they have set at which time they might stop production.

but M800 will always live in India, though not on roads but in our memories. its look decent and economy, they stop production or not, but thats the car we all learned to drive. but may be my grandson wont know M800 if he is not a car enthusiast!

Well it's still in production...... you don't know..... it may continue..... specially if they change it a bit -make it cheaper or make it costlier (might just install airbags and ABS) and ta da..... New M800...... hmmm.... probably put a bigger engine like 1.1..... give it a face lift and put it around 3 lakhs......

What say? 

Well it's still in production...... you don't know..... it may continue..... specially if they change it a bit -make it cheaper or make it costlier (might just install airbags and ABS) and ta da..... New M800...... hmmm.... probably put a bigger engine like 1.1..... give it a face lift and put it around 3 lakhs......

What say? 

first of all, 1.1L, ABS and airbags for 3L is not possible, secondly no one will buy M800 with these features over the other cars with similar features, the image of M800 cant be changed with whatever features you add to it.

Don't write the obit note for the M800, so fast. The Indica when launched had soo many bugs that they are still trying to fix them. The Nano at that price point will have bugs in every corner, and warranty will be nothing but hogwash. Don't expect the Nano to be pristine perfect; knowing Tata. Whereas the M800 will appear as a far 'solid' alternative to the Nano. Maruti has milked the 800 dry and it will drop the price further after the Nano's launch making it a 'solid' alternative. Who knows after Nano's launch the M800 will see a resurgence in it's flagging sales. Any day I'll bet on the little Maruti which was the first car for most of us in the forum and sure to say my memories are pleasant. For me the true 1 lakh car is a good second hand M800, I rest my case.