FuelRunGod

Maruti 800 - Is the Econo King Dead?

the last thing i want to see from maruti is a M800 sedan

I know a person in Kanpur had done that and also stretched the boot by about 15". Both jobs looked pretty good. Unfortunately, the person who did it is no more.

The M800 may to have long to live, sice it is likely to pass the Crash tests which are remoured to be becoming mandatory. You may find some interesting discussion in Crash Testing Mandatory !!

There according to ET of 18 September 2007, "Maruti 800,

Esteem, Versa, Omni, Ford Ikon and the half-a-century-old Ambassador, in their

present form, are likely to fail the proposed crash tests. These together sell

around 2-2.2 lakh units annually, with the M800 selling the most

the last thing i want to see from maruti is a M800 sedan

I know a person in Kanpur had done that and also stretched the boot by about 15". Both jobs looked pretty good. Unfortunately' date=' the person who did it is no more.
[/quote']

huh i cant imagine. i like M800 as it is from the showroom. have also seen ppl put on alloys, raise the suspension, stickers and diff colors, cheap mufflers, spoilers etc which will make the car look yuck!

Remember what happened to Princess Di and Dodi; crash testing is only upto a point; if you want to play 'Mad Max' in the heart of the city, you are bound to run over people or wrap yourself up around one of the concrete pillars. What ever tank you may be travelling in; ultimately we are made in flesh and bone which if thrown around is bound to give up it's ghost. One can't apply same crash testing standards for a M800 to a Merc. All said and done, M800 is a great car; which I would buy even today. I have lived with the 800 for 4and1/2 years, have taken it on long rides. Have loaded it with my family<4 adults and my son> and luggage and climbed up to Tirupathi in the dead of night. It took all the beating that came its way and delivered. Do you think you can climb Tirupathi in a Nano; that's one test I'd like to do. ACI: Get hold of the Nano <hook or crook> and a M800 and do the road test today. I'll tell you the M800 will come out in flying colors. Remember you took the M800 to the Himalayas with the Merc E class and it didn't miss a beat. Don't write an ode yet; Long Live the M800.

Durango Dude2008-01-29 16:43:02

Maruti itself had prepared the coffin for the 800 by slashing the price of Alto and pricing it close to 800 and were positioning alto as a entry level car which will replace the 800 ,They pulled out the 1.1 l Alto too because to position it as an entry level car perception should be of cheap price and high fuel efficiency.A person who is lookin at buying a 800 can stretch and buy a Alto and a person who is looking at buying a second hand 800 can buy a brand new Nano which i s going to pull down the second hand price of 800 .Nano even though cheap looks like a real smart city car and is ages ahead of the outdated 800.Thus the final nail will be hit on 800s coffin when the Nano hits the road. 

@Viva3969 Agreed fully. Only I regret the demise of the Alto VX (1.1).

The only reason they kept the M800 alive was to see what tata throw up  Now following the Nano and their own announcement of a <$3000 car the answer is obvious.

Since the M800 is unlikely to pass the upcoming crash tests, I think MS

will not spend money on making it compliant, unless it is a simple

matter of adding side beams, or something like that.So this also indicates its imminent departure from the Indian Market. Also, I doubt if the engine can be upgraded to EuroIV. If so then many cars Alto, WagonR, Estilo are due for some turbulence.

the reason for maruti 800 to sell in low numbers is that of the launch of the alto , so many who wants to buy 800 spends a lil more for the alto , Plus it has got power steering on the LXi Variant

Got to wait and watch how it will fare after the launch of Nano

Regards,

Priya

Do not agree to the point of other small car sales being affected by a nano. Nano and the next higher b segment of cars has a vast amount of difference

in the target audience requirement in terms of image/style/comfort etc .T o the b segment buyer Nano will not be an option to consider as what he is looking for is not the Nano.The slightest dent in b segment cars sales will be a percentage of people who are looking for a second car which is cheaper than current b segment.More than affecting the current market Nano will create a new market

New Maruti 800 / Suzuki Cervo

Written on Friday, April 20, 2007 by AutoCrust

.fullpost{display:inline;}

7.jpgSuzuki is planning to replace the long lasting master kid "Maruti 800" with the Japanese Suzuki Cervo which is the latest small car recently launched in Japan, the Cervo is a compact five door mini, that looks to put the other kids on the block into the shade. This sleek cute car offers 54bhp 660cc engine that boasts to offer peppy performance with great fuel economy.

Suzuki believes that they can price the car in the same amount given by Tata, they can do this by deleting some of the stuff available in the car, or by using a cheaper material to make it cost less, but, we doubt that Suzuki will use such cheap material so long as price is considered. There is going to be a lot of competition between these two in the below 800cc category. The name Cervo has been a history for jap Suzuki cars mainly used in the Japanese version of alto.

Exteriors

From the outside the Cervo looks like the Honda Fit, but this one looks like its smaller bro. As there is no sight of Tatas 1 lakh car, comparism between these two are not possible , rumors have been spread that Tatas car would be based on the Indiva Concept. Coming back to the Cervo the lines and cuts of the car are neat and classy and the clean blacky covering at the end of the windows are cleverly made so as not to see too many holes.
4.jpg
The headlights seem too agressive and getting ready to vrroomm and seems confident, well we can hope it really does. The Small mini SUV looks at the back, with an arching roofline, wedgy stance, slanted headlights and stubby bonnet makes out a new shape of itself and bound to be a great car if its priced is good and if its at 1L, it will be crazy selling.

Interiors

The interiors of this car somewhat looks like that of the much popular Swift. The rectangular air vents in the center and the circle open closed ones on the sides dont look even and looks a bit uneven. the colors of the controls do look lights up the dash. The boot is very small, but for daily shopping and office stuffs its just OK.
5.jpg
Seats at the back can seat only two and the third one can cramp up the place. A lot of storage areas are available to keep stuff in the front and find little at the back. Power Windows are airbags are available in the international markets but we doubt that it will come to India at that cost atleast airbags as an option would be better to make the car safe. In the outside markets this car is equipped with front semi-bucket seats, 4-speed auto gearbox a K6A DOHC engine with VVT, bluetooth capability.

Verdict

Cars like these will be a success in India if they are priced well with high profile, the sporty and agressive exteriors and the classy and swifty interiors are bound to make the young gens and the ladies to force their cash out, the Suzuki's bet of combining performance with FE, this car will be a hit in Indian roads.

SOURCE: AutoCrust

The only reason Maruti's sales declined is because they launched the alto to cannibalize it. I assume they wanted to stop the 800 but seeing it sell in decent numbers evn after launching alto, maruti would have decided to continue it.

Regarding crash test as someone said whatever the car there is no guarantee that it can safeguard you from a crash. Most reports of horrific crashes we read in papers involve high end cars because they canbe driven at very high speeds.

Even my first car was an 800 and as someone said it keeps going forever without any complaint. Even now i see plenty of 10-15 year old maruti's on bangalore roads. Even today i saw one that i think will be 20 yrs old. :)

For Maruti to succeed in flanking 800 it needs a direct competitor for Nano

which it does not have  .So Maruti cannot do flanking as reasoned out in adi1991s coments.

When 800 is facelifted it is goin to eat into alto share than pose a challenge to Nano and cerva might be cheap in Japan because of tax cuts on 660cc In india there is no exemption for a 660cc and by the cars looks itself can say it will not hit a sub 2.75 lac price whatever feature its stripped off .Frnakly it will be competing with 3-4lacs category as it can be launched at that price only .

So no flanking strategy for 800 .