adi1991

Need to buy a new car.

Hey guyz

I am coming towards the end of my exams now. I would be coming back to India for a while. Though this was suppose to be a holiday, my family has given me the task I WAS good at, buy a new car. Problem is I don't know the car market of India as I used to and this has to be a asap buy.

The car is to be kept in Mumbai as CR-V is gone back to delhi.

Well I would like to upgrade so car has to better than CR-V. Secondly as I hate mumbai pot holes (don't know if they got any better) and the monsoon floods would prefer a SUV/cross-over. But can be a normal sedan as well.

Would like to keep the budget to something like 25L. Though the first cars suggested to me were c-class, a4, 3 series. But would like to get something different otherwise I think it would be one the three. Let me know the choices please.

And another thing, though it would surely out of budget but saw GL350 on autocar reviews, whats the base model costing for that?

And actually there a few more cars I don't have any idea of there price in India:-

Jaguar xf (is it launched yet?)

Ranger Rover (Basic model 50L?)

Audi Q5 (is it launched?)

@Addi the A-4 1.8 TFSI cost Rs 34 lakh on road Mumbai,BMW 320 D corporate edition should cost you Rs 29 Lakhs and the C class 220 CDI Executive Rs 31 Lakhs.The GL 350 CDI costs Rs 85 Lakhs in Mumbai.

You can buy the Ford Endeavour 3.0 L 4x4 which costs Rs 22 lakhs well within your budget.You could also try the Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 ltz a/t costing Rs 23.5 Lakhs in Mumbai.

bromley20102010-05-25 04:56:09

I would suggest you to go for 3 series corporate edition. It is a good driver's car and it is close to your budget. But you may not like the ground clearance.

As rssh said you can also consider Freelander 2.

If you think of SUVs then options are :

1. Captiva

2. Outlander - petrol

3. Toyota Fortuner

4. Nissan X trail.

If you are in no hurry then wait for the BMW X1 crossover. It would be priced within 25 lakhs and will be on sale soon.

should have realised indian market is totally different.

Toyota land cruiser Parado is it officially for sale in India?. And which model is up for sale?. And what is the price like, I think parado if their can be a serious consedaration.

Also when you say a few months for X1 would have any idea of the exact months?

cheers

Adi

adi, considering your tastes, and i know exactly how they are as ive interacted with you when we went for the lonavala trip, the Land Rover Freelander 2 is the perfect car for you.

Upto 25 lacs of INR, the best option comes out to be:

-Nissan X-Trail.

-Toyota Fortuner(but you'll not like it if you've already driven Honda CR-V).

-Upcoming BMW X1(but can stretch your budget to 30lacs, on road).

-Land Rover Freelander2.

Amongst Sedans,

-BMW 3-series CE.

-Nissan Teana.

And the best option amongst all above comes out to be is Nissan X-Trail.

It has all the just required good qualities what you wants, like

-Powerful & Refined Common-rail diesel engine.

-Comfort & Stability biased Monocoque Chassis.

-Good & Comfortable Interiors.

-Well suited price.

-Nissan's Releasing soon Wide-spread ASS & Dealer Network(As Nissan has already readied each Nissan outlet at every 80kms on main Routes/highways).

Landrover freelander 2 will cost around 35lakhs for the base version and almost 10 lakhs more for the highest variant.

If you can spend around 30~40 lakhs, also check out Mitshubishi Montero.

ok so the list

FreeLander 2 :-not a great fan of its styling.

Q5:- quite expensive in india for some reason, may be duties

Parado:- Sounds good...but going way over budget?.... probably could get a lot more for that kind of money?

BMW X1:- though looks totally like a 1 series with big wheels but wouldn't mind that. but the wait seems a bit too long.

And then the three saloons:-

3 series

c class

A4

I think need to look for deals now, any good deals any one know of, going on right now?adi19912010-05-27 03:14:39

Actually I did check the import option as well. The only way that is viable is when I am outside of india countinously for 2 years and own a car in uk for more than 1 year than I can get it in India. And I went back to india for a few days last year so that can't happen.

It would be possible if I don't come right now and come after a year but thats to long. :)

Do check out Nissan X-Trail or Mitsubishi Outlander amongst SUVs & they are well within your budget too.

Or Amongst sedans Skoda Superb 2.0 TDi(=CRDi) is the best option but marred by poor Skoda's ASS, so the obvious next choice being the VW Passat TDi or TSi(depends upon what you prefers a Diesel or petrol resp.)

well if x-trail model hasn't changed over the last year or so then don't think that would a option, I was thinking about outlander but something tells me it's not better than the CR-V and it wouldn't be much of a upgrade. And of my cousins got a superb so would like to avoid it as it would be like having 2 same cars in the family and passat would be a good option only if VW had launched the passat cc in india.

@Cyrus:- thats the way if you want to get a car imported tax free as an NRI. And then you also have your normal imports with stupid amounts of taxes.

My tickets are done for 6 of june, but there is a possibility I may have to postpone it a bit as I am working on some research with my uni and may have to stay another extra week. And as to when I would be going back is again dicey as my uni starts in last week of september and would like to stay in India for the whole of the holidays but that would only be possible if my uni let me carry out my bit of the research on my own otherwise may have to come back to uk pretty soon.
adi19912010-05-28 01:47:47