luukie

Sleeping in a parked car

What are the precautions while sleeping overnight in a parked car with AC switched on. And is it true that the engine heats up quickly when not moving and AC on. Also what about the fuel consumption?

Really a Strange topic !

It's a very Risky affair man !!

Heard & Seen alot of times of sleeping in a car but in Off condition & with Mild windows open(most of the Taxi drivers do that in Hill stations) but in On with AC On condition is really really a life threatning job..

Should never attempt that. The last time I heard anything like this was when drivers used to sleep in Ambassadors preferring them over Fiats (to stretch their legs) and the sahabs used to be in hotels . that was enroute movement.

Even jeeps with the hood canopy were beautiful for sleeping.

But with the AC's and central locking etc NO WAY NEVER SHOULD ANYONE ATTEMPT.

I realised when on long journeys, if the A/C is on i start to feel sleepy after few hours but get back to normal as soon as I pull down my window.

So is it that putting your aircon on for long hours even when driving is bad?

Or is it just psychological?

Many a times did I hear about tips to avoid sleep while driving. They include driving fast, talking to someone, having snacks and coffee, rolling down the windows etc. However, IMO, there is no better way than to park the car in a well-lit area and have a short nap! (A 15min nap will do!)

If you are planning for a long trip, go to bed early in the previous night and have a nice sleep. It will really help!

@DrNishu, the incident was in chandigarh itself. They guy and girl were close friends smiley2.gif . And they had a Hyundai Accent. They were found early in the morning outside a leisure park! Dead!

I realised when on long journeys' date=' if the A/C is on i start to feel sleepy after few hours but get back to normal as soon as I pull down my window. [/quote']

That's when A.C. is set on re-circulation mode. CO2 recirculates & O2 concentration falls. Solution for this is, either open the windows partially after short gaps of time or set the fan on exhaust mode.

That's when A.C. is set on re-circulation mode. CO2 recirculates & O2 concentration falls. Solution for this is' date=' either open the windows partially after short gaps of time or set the fan on exhaust mode. [/quote']

Thats closely right, even i do this when there is some long power cut, i take short naps(only short naps) in Spark with AC (not in recirculating mode).

Still I know it could be harmful, can someone explain the terminology i mentioned earlier, asyfixation( heard of this various times but not sure of its spelling)
creativebala2010-05-30 05:59:01

Gone to the Wedding Party yesterday & seen there in Parking lot- driver sleeping in a Swift VDi with AC-on, but actually that was an Open Well-Ventilated Parking Space.

This method seems to be quite feasible for few minutes to few hours but in Open Well-Ventilated places only otherwise God knows who'll wake you after such long Sleep.

Thats closely right' date=' even i do this when there is some long power cut, i take short naps(only short naps) in Spark with AC (not in recirculating mode).[/quote']

That could be seriously lethal! A nap can anytime result into a deep sleep through which one does not wake up.

Always put the A.C. on exhaust mode & keep a 2" gap in one of the windows. Gap is kept to oversee any failure of the exhaust functioning.

@Luukie: how old are you? Are you considering this option during power cuts/ power failures at night?

@mods: is this really a question which needs a national debate?

Why would anyone want to sleep in a car with the AC on? If you're a driver- you wont be posting queries on ACI Forum and if you're an owner - go home or rent a hotel room if you need air conditioning!

@Kinshuk.

Actually we did a trip last week

Cochin-Kodaikkanal-Palani-Udumalpetia-Chinnar-Munnar-Cochin. We reached

Palani in the night. And unfortunately that was some festive day for

wedding. 100% of the lodges there were booked. So we left for

udumalpetia in the hope of finding a lodge. It was the same thre too.

So we dint have any further option, as beyond that place it is complete

forest. One of my friends and I slept inside the car and the other two

slept somewhere in front of a shop.. :-)

I kept the Ac on...  After some time my friend complained and had to

switch off the ac... But I had made sure that all windows were almost

5cms down... But still he complained of  soffocation...

@Kinshuk.

So we dint have any further option' date=' as beyond that place it is complete

forest. One of my friends and I slept inside the car and the other two

slept somewhere in front of a shop.. :-)

[/quote']

That must have been horrible!!!smiley3.gif

I've never tried sleeping in a car before !!!

But there are homeless people in the US, who can't afford homes and live in their car(s)!!!

Note from Mod: Its neither advisable nor safe to sleep in a parked car, A.C. on or off. If it must be done, adequate safety measures must be taken. We would like our members to write on the various precautions & safety measures to be take & the hazards of sleeping in a parked car.

Thread title edited to: Sleeping in a parked car, hazards & precautions.
BornFree2010-06-01 11:43:49

First and foremost - park properly at a place that's away from the road. You don't want to be rear ended by someone or draw unwanted attention.

Ensure adequate ventilation and carry your choice of mosquito repellent. If you are tired enough, you can get some shut eye anywhere.

As this topic cant be on a serious track for very long, let me start off - In case you're not sleeping alone, make sure the person youre sharing the car with doesnt have a very spicy dinner! ;))Kinshuk2010-06-01 14:59:27

park the car away from the road.

Don't just park a car in the middle of no where, as theft of belongings, car and even a threat to your life is very real.

Try finding a 24 hrs restaurant, petrol pump or any place with a few people around.

Keep all valuable items out of sight. Lock all doors take the key out of the ignition and keep it in your pocket. open windows enough to fresh air to come in but not enough for anyone to put there hand in.

For long routes it never advisable to travel alone even if the other person is not able drive it still helps a lot.

And finally sleeping in car is a very the last option when no other place can be found and it is not possible to drive safely any more.

And this should temporary and not a 6 hrs proper sleep, put a alarm if you want to before you sleep.

Again the best way is to have 3 people where 2 people are always awake and the third can sleep while on the move :)