Autoliebhaber

Need quick advice on tyre pump

I am unaware of the cost of such machines honestly but have heard about just pressure meters which are pretty cheap.

Pressure gauges costs around 250~300Rs and foot pump with gauges costs 500~700rs. Electric compressor pumps are available but they need 12v Cig lighter point. Cannot say about the quality and reliability of these machines.

A while ago I was also interested in buying an electrically operated Pump. Visited the local market but all I came across were Chinese pumps. Quality is a big issue with Chinese stuff sold in the market.

I would only buy a good quality locally produced or from a renowned global brand which comes with warranty. Im ready to shell out ~2k bucks for a good quality pump.

@BF, What could go wrong in a Chinese pumps, that you are willing to shell out 2k as even if it goes kaput, you can buy 4 other new pumps.

In my place, foot pump cost Rs 150 & electrical one is Rs 400. I had one Foot pump for a while, will buy one(electrical) when Swift arrives.

I have a portable pressure pump which runs off the power outlet in a car and it comes with a pressure guage. It is pretty good and really convenient as I dont have to worry about going to the petrol bunks to fill up the tyres and those attendants touching my car and the polished wheel/tyres with their dirty greasy hands!! I have it now for the last 8 months and I paid aroung 1200 for it if I remember correctly.

LIghter driven pumps with gauges (gauges fail fast) are in the Rs.800-1200 range. They easily last for, say, 6-8 years. Mine go with the car. Buy gauges separately - Rs.100-350.

Let me revive this thread.

Yesterday, I received VIAIR 85P Portable Compressor for my Linea bought from Amazon, costing USD 99.15 inclusive of all. [http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-85P-Portable-Air-Compressor/dp/B0036E9VB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1308998531&sr=8-1

201162515536_500.jpg

2011625155322_500.jpg

2011625155336_500.jpg

2011625155350_500.jpg

Today, I tested it on my Suzuki Fiero motorcycle as the air pressure in my Linea was intact. The rear wheel of my Fiero was around 22 psi initially, which I wanted to inflate to 32 psi. I connected the portable compressor in my Linea's cigarette lighter point, connected the rear wheel mouth with the nozzle, started the engine, switched on the compressor, within about 10 seconds or so, it was up to 32 psi.

201162515545_500.jpg

2011625155420_500.jpg

2011625155453_500.jpg

I checked the pressure with my solar-powered tyre pressure gauge. It showed 33 psi.

2011625155439_500.jpg

Robust build. Very less sound. No air leakage. Quick air fill. Accurate pressure gauge. I am fully satisfied with VIAIR 85P Portable Compressor. smiley20.gifJ.Ravi2011-06-25 11:24:55

Could you tell me where you picked up the electric pump from? I've been looking for it from a very long time..

I live in bangalore.

It would be great if you can give me the brand name too.

Could you tell me where you picked up the electric pump from?
From amazon.com.
It would be great if you can give me the brand name too.

VIAIR. I have provided the link in my post.

Durango Dude: No. We can't set the pressure. It has to be done manually. If the portable compressor is switched off, it will indicate the pressure. Fill up to the required pressure by alternate switching on and off.

Looks better then the Chinese ones I have used. remember the gauge will over read as the pressure in the filler tube will be slightly higher than in the tyre.

J.Ravi:: Does amazon have international shipping on this unit.? .

And secondly If I'm to buy that in india or anything similar to it but runs on a 12VDC where can i find one.

Does amazon have international shipping on this unit.?

Yes' date=' they do shipping to India. I got this portable compressor delivered at my home from Amazon.

If I'm to buy that in india or anything similar to it but runs on a 12VDC where can i find one.

I saw some tyre inflators in Metro or Reliance Autozone. You can try in ebay.in too. But, they are mainly cheap Chinese brands. Indian brands are very few.

Let us wait and see. I have had only one mechanical failure with the Chinese pumps in 20 odd years. However, the rubber part of the nozzle hardens / wears out in about six years. I wonder whether the rubber here will last much longer?

I found the foot pump and digital gauge on ebay.in

Please let me know your opinions. I"ll be heading out to the tip of India shortly.. and would like to have these before I do so..

Pressure gauge

http://cgi.ebay.in/2in1-Digital-LCD-Tire-Tyre-Pressure-Gauge-Black-/320717613986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item4aac426ba2

Foot Pump

http://cgi.ebay.in/FOOT-PUMP-MULTI-PURPOSE-AIR-PUMP-EASILY-INFLATES-/150625067967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2311f423bf

sham2011-06-30 09:19:52

Looks like a clone of my first foot pump c. 1974! Only this one had a nipple instead of a gauge - I will take this everytime. The barrel is here plastic instead of metal Put that down to technology. You should get 5+ years out of it.

Not a clue. I guess the gauge fitted will work for a year or two. My point about the tube drop should be kept in mind. Pretty soon you will come to know what this should be. On my electric system I find a 40psi reading with the pump running gives about 32 psi in the tyre.

I'm returning to this post with a few concerns and needed advice.

I managed to pick up a foot pump and electronic pressure gauge for my car.

gauge -->http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320717613986

pump --> http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150616174660

My concern is the gauge on the pump shows ~40PSI(its analogue so I"m not sure of the exact value) and the digital meter show 34PSI.

I trust my digital meter for no reason so I just kept on inflating the tyre till it reached 34PSI.

Now I'm concerned that it might be over inflated. Anyway I can check this ?

I thought of going to a fuel bunk and getting it checked there but the very fact that I dont trust those meters in the first place made me buy these devices.

Any advice would be helpful.

I saw good products sold online through this link here the price looks pretty ok but talk to them... hope this helps. The link was www.huddlendeal.com visit the auto segment there.

====== no salutations and sign-offs please.

sgiitk2011-07-15 06:41:17

sad news...

The foot pump broke a leak today.. and the moment i connect the head to the wheel and close the clip i can hear the air escaping from the pump's cylinder.

Damn it just lasted only 3 weeks