sgiitk

Petrol v Diesel

...almost all diesels have larger engines than their petrol cousins' date=' so may cost more to insure), maintenance costs etc. 

[/quote']

Which car are you talking about? As far as I know, almost all the cars come with smaller diesel engines than their closest petrol siblings in terms of power and torque (e.g. fiesta, Verna, Swift, etc.) If getz prime or optra magnum gives bigger diesel engines, that is because the diesel siblings are placed in a different leage.

Are you kidding. Most diesels (leave aside the Swift and a few others) have bigger diesels. The Govt. was not stupid to make the limit for low excise as 1200 for petrol and 1500 for diesel.

Diesels need filter change and the interval can vary from 6000km to 20000km depending on engine. Apart from that, diesels don't need much except for the regular oil change and valve clearance check in engines with regular tappets. The gasoline engines don't need fuel filter change that frequently, their interval is in upward of 50000+km, same goes for the spark plugs, they go up to 30,000km, the only offset here would be that the diesel would be far frugal with fuel even with lead footed driving as compared to the gasoline engine. Good Japanese or German made diesels will also reward the customer with higher longevity than their gasoline counterparts.

diesel cars require that you don't let the fuel needle drop into the red danger zone. or else, they'll require pumping and stuff. but with petrol engines, you can go that extra mile while still in the red. also, their pickup, refinement and the smooth humming sound are impeccable.

Have you heard the Accord diesel, or the OM611 in C220? FYI, the Accord diesel is as quick as the V6 gasoline counterpart and returns an amazing 58mpg. Diesels have gobs of low end torque and are a pleasure to drive in traffic, they also don't need to be revved higher to come to powerband like their gasoline counterparts so they are always running at lower RPM than their hyper gasoline equivalents, this makes them quieter as well and make them last longer. They are as quiet, smooth and refined as their gasoline counterparts, we are not talking about old IDI based diesels with their impending clatter. Word of advice about driving dry, both diesels and the high pressure electronic fuel pumps in gasoline engines need fuel to lubricate, this is specially true of the expensive pumps in gasoline engines. Keep running them dry and you will see your fuel system go bad due to the debris picked up from the bottom of the tank as well as early pump failure due to running dry. Driving down to E is not a good practice for either gas or diesel. As for pumping on a diesel run to E, its quite easy, the plunger is conveniently located on top of the pump and it only needs few pumps to get it going, in case a petrol engine gets vapor or air in the system, you have no resort but to get the air purged by a mechanic.

True... the new diesel engines have really revolutionized the name 'diesel'. Guess the petrol-lers have got some homework to do. Guess something better than a VVTi should come up. Badly wanted... saladin2007-11-28 20:04:25

There is nothing wrong with modern day gasoline engines, they have their place and attributes as well but the diesels have really caught up and are now truly showing their theoretical virtues in application.

...almost all diesels have larger engines than their petrol cousins' date=' so may cost more to insure), maintenance costs etc. 
[/quote']

Which car are you talking about? As far as I know, almost all the cars come with smaller diesel engines than their closest petrol siblings in terms of power and torque (e.g. fiesta, Verna, Swift, etc.) If getz prime or optra magnum gives bigger diesel engines, that is because the diesel siblings are placed in a different leage.

Are you kidding. Most diesels (leave aside the Swift and a few others) have bigger diesels. The Govt. was not stupid to make the limit for low excise as 1200 for petrol and 1500 for diesel.

Sorry. I should have said "almost all the NEW cars have more power and torque per litre in diesel engines than the petrol engines". As I have mentioned earlier, this is mainly attributed to the turbocharger, in addition to the fact that diesel has higher energy density than petrol.

Have you heard the Accord diesel' date=' or the OM611 in C220? FYI, the Accord diesel is as quick as the V6 gasoline counterpart and returns an amazing 58mpg. Diesels have gobs of low end torque and are a pleasure to drive in traffic, they also don't need to be revved higher to come to powerband like their gasoline counterparts so they are always running at lower RPM than their hyper gasoline equivalents, this makes them quieter as well and make them last longer. They are as quiet, smooth and refined as their gasoline counterparts, we are not talking about old IDI based diesels with their impending clatter. Word of advice about driving dry, both diesels and the high pressure electronic fuel pumps in gasoline engines need fuel to lubricate, this is specially true of the expensive pumps in gasoline engines. Keep running them dry and you will see your fuel system go bad due to the debris picked up from the bottom of the tank as well as early pump failure due to running dry. Driving down to E is not a good practice for either gas or diesel. As for pumping on a diesel run to E, its quite easy, the plunger is conveniently located on top of the pump and it only needs few pumps to get it going, in case a petrol engine gets vapor or air in the system, you have no resort but to get the air purged by a mechanic.[/quote']

Hi,

I prefer petrol cars over diesel due to the following...

1. The diesel cars are noisier inside the cabin

2. The engine seems harsher than petrol engines which are much more refined and smoother.

3. The car vibrates a little more in diesel engines.

I recently test drove the Mercedes E Class and the BMW 5 series diesel and petrol cars and  while I agree diesel cars have come a long way, but they still lack the refinement, smoothness and quietness of the petrol engine from a relative perspective. However, I do agree that the initial acceleration is much better in the diesel car, compared to the petrol, but in my opinion, I do not use it much given the traffic conditions.

Ultimately, I feel that the choice comes to personal preferences and there is still a difference in smoothness, refinement and quiteness in petrol cars irrespective of the significant development in diesel engines.

Comfortdriver2007-12-03 13:43:38

leave aside inital cost how much will it differ in maintaing it every year all included like fuel ' date='oils ,servicing for a running of 15000 km per year

[/quote']

i did not get a answer for my question can anybody help

leave aside inital cost how much will it differ in maintaing it every year all included like fuel ' date='oils ,servicing for a running of 15000 km per year
[/quote']

i did not get a answer for my question can anybody help

I heard that the recent Turbo CRDi engines are not More costly to maintain , maybe around 20% more than the Petrol ones

regards,

Priya

i feel that, the petrol engines working on the same principle of new gen diesel engines... i mean gasoline direct injection engines.. which inject gas directly into the engine cylinder using high pressure injectors..  will bring back the lost crown(not literally....) back to the petrol engines...smiley20.gif

leave aside inital cost how much will it differ in maintaing it every year all included like fuel ' date='oils ,servicing for a running of 15000 km per year[/quote']

Now that really is depending on the car. Different cars have different servicing schedules. But one thing I can tell you is that in most cases, the fuel filter, oil filter and parts like the clutch, driveshafts etc are more expensive than their petrol counterparts. But if your running is high enough then these costs are offset by the amount you save on fuel bills. Refer to our What Car magazine, we have carried a story on diesels.

FRG
FuelRunGod2007-12-07 17:55:59

The crown is still with the petrollers' date=' dude. The dieselers have much to catch up.[/quote']

I suppose it depends on personal tastes... If one likes acceleration at low speeds, then the torque of the diesel engine is much better than the petrol. If one is looking for relatively higher levels of refinement and lower noise levels, then the petrol is still better than the diesel.

actually i was checking out skoda octavia old one and my usage is something like 40 km per day what do u suggest 

I would either Suggest you the optra Magnum Diesel or the Honda city

Dont think for 40 kms per day you reallly need a Diesel car but if you have decided to go only for diesel then go for the Optra magnum diesel ,

if you think of going for a petrol then go for the Honda city Zx

regards,

Priya

actually i was checking out skoda octavia old one and my usage is something like 40 km per day what do u suggest 

a petrol then go for the Honda city Zx

or the VTec?

a petrol then go for the Honda city Zx

or the VTec?

Yes Either the City IDSI or the Vtec but afterall it shuold be a city

regards,

prya

Hey dude dnt go for the Used Skoda Octavia and as your running is around 40km per day , i would advice you to go in for the Honda City ZX Exi  it gives better milage than Sx4 , aveo or the Fiesta Petrol , and for 40 km per day dont think you will have to go for a Diesel car

cheerssmiley20.gif